Raw Feeding

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only have one gooby .... oops!, I mean "liver" don't we? I will guess that chooks only have one as well. Which would mean about 3 goobies per week.

Well I think they only have "one" but on a quick glance, it's quite dangly and looks like several :rofl:

Anyways, they get tongue and hearts in with brekky a couple of times a week and the odd hidden chopped kidney (they will eat that in a bowl :D )

I once tried to hand out small slices of lambs liver - well what a performance. usually anything that comes direct from the kitchen bench is ;) you know, the oil & vinegar in the bottom of the salad bowl type of thing :rofl:

Well I handed out the sliver of liver - big fellow took it of me, then just stood there with it on the end of his tongue (tongue hangin out) then he shook his head until it flew off :rofl:

I buy a 'tray' of chicken livers from Coles and mix the whole tray into the mince BARF mix I make up.... which lasts about a week so three dogs would share a tray.

I'd like to feed them more offal, but they don't really like eating it on its own for some reason - I don't want to buy an ox heart or something and give it to them only to have them leave it there ;)

I would also like to feed more fish, but I worry about raw fish and fish bones... for those who feed fish what about the bones?? They are so fine and sharp. are the dogs ok to eat a whole fish or half a fish each? And what type of fish is the best to buy from the fish monger - at the moment I pretty much just feed sardines.

Edited by huski

And what type of fish is the best to buy from the fish monger - at the moment I pretty much just feed sardines.

I get whatever is the cheapest - salmon heads or sardines. When I buy "human fish" I ask for a couple of salmon heads and they're usually free. They have no problems with the bones.

annieK

I use sardines as well. My girl LOVES them. She gets them once a week

As for the chicken livers. I feed offal twice a week, liver or kidneys, she gets it with vegie slops or some mince. Adds up to about 10% of her weekly amount.

Personaly I find it completely disgusting and do my best not to breathe in to much when preparing it ;) Lucky I care so much and give it to her anyway

Hoping the OP doesn't mind me popping in here with a question - it is relevant to raw feeding though ;).

I'm feeding my young boy (6.5 mo RR .... currently 28.2kgs) all raw (including mixture of vegies, yoghurt, fish etc). I've just included chicken livers as part of his diet.

1. How many of the chicken livers should I feed in one 'sitting'?
  2. I presume these should only be fed about once a week as I believe too much is not good?

Advice from others would be appreciated :D.

Cheers!

Erny

I prefer to feed a small amount of liver every second day or so,rather than feeding him his weekly quota in one hit,large amounts at once (300-400g) have always ended with really runny poos the next day.

My 21 month old,16kg Stafford is usually fed about 100-150g of liver 2-3 days per week.

I must say I'm shocked to hear some dogs don't like liver,my dog goes nuts for it!

I'd like to feed them more offal, but they don't really like eating it on its own for some reason ...

My previous girl would only eat offal if it was cooked.

Today was the first time I've given my young boy offal (chicken liver) and he scoffed it down (raw) no hesitation.

Thanks for your responses everyone, and Jamie, for the info. I think I will prefer to feed the offal separately (as opposed to mincing up with everything else). That way, if anything causes the runs I will be able to leave off it for a while if not completely, if it turns out to not agree with him. In fact, that's the way I make up his meals already. Packages of pulped vegies/fruit. Packages of the meat varieties (each variety separate). Packages of offal (each variety separate). Etc. etc. Then I can select what I want to feed and mix it up as I want to.

He doesn't like his greens very much (typical boy :o:)) so I keep them separate. That way I haven't ruined the whole of everything else by mixing it all in.

Edited by Erny

Anyways, they get tongue and hearts in with brekky a couple of times a week and the odd hidden chopped kidney (they will eat that in a bowl :) )

I once tried to hand out small slices of lambs liver - well what a performance. usually anything that comes direct from the kitchen bench is :o you know, the oil & vinegar in the bottom of the salad bowl type of thing ;)

Well I handed out the sliver of liver - big fellow took it of me, then just stood there with it on the end of his tongue (tongue hangin out) then he shook his head until it flew off :rofl:

:rofl: What you said about your dog not eating the liver just cracked me up! I used to have a couple of retired racing greyhounds and they were not keen on liver either! I handed it out to them and one tried one piece spat it out and walked off in disgust. The other one took a piece - held it in his mouth for a second and then spat it out. I offered him a new piece and his eyes lit up and he took it again, then realised what it was and spat it out again! This continued for a bit in the hope he might eat one but when I realised that I now needed to clean up multiple splots of liver off the floor I decided to give up! :(

I ended up feeding it mixed in with some diced meat with a little tuna or sardines on top to mask the smell for those fussy liver spitting greyhounds. :(

I get whatever is the cheapest - salmon heads or sardines. When I buy "human fish" I ask for a couple of salmon heads and they're usually free. They have no problems with the bones.

annieK

I use sardines as well. My girl LOVES them. She gets them once a week

As for the chicken livers. I feed offal twice a week, liver or kidneys, she gets it with vegie slops or some mince. Adds up to about 10% of her weekly amount.

Personaly I find it completely disgusting and do my best not to breathe in to much when preparing it :o Lucky I care so much and give it to her anyway

Thanks guys. I put 4 tins of sardines in their BARF mix so they do get a bit of fish in their food. I might try mixing the offal with a tin of sardines once a week. Will also check the fish monger for salmon heads!

And what type of fish is the best to buy from the fish monger - at the moment I pretty much just feed sardines.

annieK

annieK

I just gave my gsps a salmon head to eat and neither of them could make any headway with it - most unusual :) . They weigh 500gms each. Are they just too big? Do you break them up? Can you teach them how to eat them?

Bruno did his best but Bella gave up completely.

Any ideas?

------

Forgot to add, Bruno's been on raw since saturday and his ribs are covering up slowly (he only needs .5ks on) and his poos are perfect.

Bella is also looking well but I can't work out which is her poo at the moment :( . Job for tomorrow.... :(:o

Just as well I used to be a nurse :rofl:

Edited by BellasPerson

I just gave my gsps a salmon head to eat and neither of them could make any headway with it - most unusual :o . They weigh 500gms each. Are they just too big? Do you break them up? Can you teach them how to eat them?

I don't know, mine just... well.. chomped on them the first time I gave them, but they are used to lamb necks and shanks which have much harder bones etc

so maybe chop them in half and see how they go - or sprinke a tiny bit of garlic salt on them - that's a good "starter"

annieK

Guest Tess32

I gave up feeding mine whole fish, they look at it like it is poison... But they do love sardines so that will have to do. Noah normally eats anything at all and he had a good go but you can just tell he's thinking "YUCK".

They all love offal though, they go nuts for it.

I'm feeding RAW to my 6 month old Newfy Pup.

He gets Chicken Mince (from Lenards)

Chicken carcasses 3 nights a week.

Tin of sardines twice a week.

Pet mince

whole egg 3 days a week

Is there anything else I can add to give him variety and how much would you feed eg grams per day

Edited by Raven

... how much would you feed eg grams per day

From what I have researched :

Feed all the dog can eat and when he's giving you that "couldn't fit another thing in" look and/or 'stashing' his food for 'later', you know your dog's capacity. THEN you feed about 2/3rds of that quantity. This is from Ian Billinghurst's "Give a Dog a Bone".

OR

Feed 10% of your dog's current weight (I think that's written here, too)

OR

Feed 2/3rds of your dog's projected adult weight (I think that's written here too, but can't say I agree with that for a growing pup).

Edited by Erny

I thought it was 2-3% of your dogs weight? :o

Having said that Mica used to eat more than that, more like 4%, she was growing, active and hungry all the time. She used to be fed 1.2kg a day, but she eats vegies as well, so not sure how that translates to a prey model. At the moment she eats about 800g as shes older and not as hungry. She weighs 33kg

Raven you could also throw in some 'bigger' bones such as lamb necks, lamb flaps, gives him something to chew on and is good for his teeth :noidea: especialy as he is a bigger pup.

Do you give him any offal such as liver?

ETA "Feed all the dog can eat and when he's giving you that "couldn't fit another thing in" look and/or 'stashing' his food for 'later', you know your dog's capacity"

:(

Edited by laeral

ETA "Feed all the dog can eat and when he's giving you that "couldn't fit another thing in" look and/or 'stashing' his food for 'later', you know your dog's capacity"

:noidea:

:( .... I did this the other day, and I definitely couldn't mistake that "couldn't fit another thing in" look. Couldn't believe how much he managed to stack away either. He did get to the point where he hid (read : buried) the last two chicken wings. But they only lasted buried for about 15 minutes .... I'm sure he couldn't stand the fact they were out there and not in his stomach where there was NO chance of something else getting them.

... how much would you feed eg grams per day

From what I have researched :

Feed all the dog can eat and when he's giving you that "couldn't fit another thing in" look and/or 'stashing' his food for 'later', you know your dog's capacity. THEN you feed about 2/3rds of that quantity. This is from Ian Billinghurst's "Give a Dog a Bone".

OR

Feed 10% of your dog's current weight (I think that's written here, too)

OR

Feed 2/3rds of your dog's projected adult weight (I think that's written here too, but can't say I agree with that for a growing pup).

10% seems very high. For Ian Billinghurst's BARF patties, the guide says:

4 - 5% ideal body weight for puppies

2 - 3% for grown-ups, if pets

5 - 6% for working dogs

I have tried to feed him offal but he wont have a bar of it on its own.

The Pet mince i get has a mix of everything in it and the meat has no preservatives :noidea:.

I will grab a few more bones for him this week ( the butcher loves me walking in lol)

Thanks for the advice

Sharon