99 members have voted

1. 1. When is a pup no longer a pup?

• over 4 months
    • over 6 months
    • over 8 months
    • over 10 months
    • over 12 months
    • over 18 months

I took an average and said after 12 months based on a sample of 2. My girl was 'grown up' at nine months and my boy is only just starting to mature now at 2. Although I don't think it matters how old or young the pup is the same learning principles apply - just adjust the volume according to the dog - at six months I was harder on my girl than I am on my boy at just over 2.

Small to medium breeds are generally considered pups until 12 months old, large to giant breeds are generally considered pups until 18 months old.

There are some exceptions with certain breeds, but the above seems to be what most dog foods indicate, and how rules are made about at what age dogs are considered old enough to partake of certain dog sports.

Be interested if dog trainers or vets think differently...

However there are different types of maturity of course. Sexual maturity is much younger, behavioural/intellectual/ not sure what to call it lol, maturity is much much later!

if you go by showing:

0-6months - baby puppy

6-12 months - puppy

12-18 months - junior

18-36 months - intermediate

36 + months - open/adult

therefore less than 12 months = puppy...

I think this sounds fairly reasonable.... we all know that some breeds mature a bit earlier than this, and some later - but as a general guide, this seems like a good guideline to me.

if you go by showing:

0-6months - baby puppy

6-12 months - puppy

12-18 months - junior

18-36 months - intermediate

36 + months - open/adult

therefore less than 12 months = puppy...

Nah, in regards to training.

People say "I wouldn't use x on a puppy" but when does it stop being a puppy with training aids? Though, most people who I have seen say that wouldn't use them on an adult either.

as far as e-collar and prong training go i personally wouldnt use them on a working dog until over 6 months - and im talking a med-large breed

i started Rogue on a prong at 6 months and she never pulls much now without any specific training not too, it was more a preventative measure...

i would be very careful of using an ecollar on a dog less than 12 months incase you inadvertently train or cause an inwanted aversion to training or situation