Does Anyone Feed Tongue To Their Dogs?

Tongue is classed as (muscle) meat. I use tongue as boneless meat as often as I can find it. For some reason, many butchers don't get them in ;) .

How much do people pay per tongue? I get mine for $2.50 each, but I notice one butcher was selling them for $5.50 each!

My Koolie, Hope has a throat condition, so she isn't allowed to eat bones unless they're minced or ground, so I've found Ox tongues are the best way to keep her teeth clean. The tough, abrasive texture is like a tooth brush and I love the jaw work needed to gnaw off chunks of it.

post-6062-1230688229_thumb.jpg

Tongue is classed as (muscle) meat. I use tongue as boneless meat as often as I can find it. For some reason, many butchers don't get them in ;) .

How much do people pay per tongue? I get mine for $2.50 each, but I notice one butcher was selling them for $5.50 each!

My Koolie, Hope has a throat condition, so she isn't allowed to eat bones unless they're minced or ground, so I've found Ox tongues are the best way to keep her teeth clean. The tough, abrasive texture is like a tooth brush and I love the jaw work needed to gnaw off chunks of it.

It seems like a good substitute, although I must admit the sight of it is kind of eeewwww! :thumbsup: She seem sto be enjoying it tho!

Guest belgian.blue

I've wondered about tongue in the past.

Will grab some next time I'm dog meat shopping! They are always fun to poke and go ewww when I went shopping with mum as a child ;)

From memory they were about $2.50 per kilo - but they were massive so probably weighed nearly a kilo each.

Wow that's a great price!!! Around this we they seem to go for between $4.99 to $6.99 a kg! My GSD's love them and when they do get one...they get a whole beef one each...and their eyes near fall out of their heads :rofl:

Ox tongue is a regular part of our greys' diets. I pay $2.50 or $3.00 per tongue. Like any red muscle meat, ox tongue is a good source of minerals and protein and is also rich in fat. The fat is a great energy source for dogs, but you should be wary of this if your dog is for medical reasons on a low fat diet. I also feed lamb tongues and, when I can get them, pig tongues.

We feed it about once a week, cut into cubes, about an inch each side and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, we also put in ox liver, diced and a glob of Vegemite, give to the dogs when it has cooled. They LOVE it.

It does look yucky...... and you need a sharp knife to cut it, it also blunts the knife fairly fast. I usually sharpen before cutting, and sometimes during....

Dave

I feed Jyra ox tongue, and it's about $2.50 or $3 for a 'tounge' (the butcher that I buy from hasn't seemed to learn how to spell it correctly). We cut it up into daily servings using an electric knife. That electric knife is getting used more than ever before since I started feeding Jyra raw food.

Where do you find lamb and pork tongues? When I've asked butchers in the past about them, they act like such things don't exist!

Lamb tongues from Greek butchers - I prefer to buy the untrimmed ones, ie. with the gristly bits still attached. Pork tongues are more likely to be found at an Asian butcher, but I only find them occasionally.

I've never had any problems with pork tongue or meat causing illness in my dogs, cat or me. I believe dogs' and cats' stronger stomach acids and much shorter digestion time handles the bacteria issue well. But I do observe strict hygiene when preparing our dogs' and cat's food.