Little Waxy Droplets On Rump/tail

CBL

For the last couple of weeks we have noticed these little waxy/puss droplets on Lilly's rump and tail - they are not occuring anywhere else. They are not bothering her at all, and we just pull them off but we have no idea what they are or why she is getting them.

It is like pimples are popping all over the area but we can't find any evidence of pimples or pustules on her skin. When we pull them off they are hard but I found one this morning that was still soft.

Anyone seen them before?

sounds wierd - sorry no idea ;)

pics perhaps?

it's not something sticking to her when she zoomies is it?

I have to "de sand" mine after a trip to the beach - it sticks to their hineys.

Edited by anniek

Nope she isn't running into anything - no plants in the backyard that she can run into. They are on her rump, under her tail and on her tail as well - its all very mysterious!

I'll try and take some photos and post them.

Hi,

The only thing I can think of are Tapeworm segments.

Petra

Oh I hadn't thought of that - they are all wormed regularly though. Would the segments be all over the rump area though including on the top side of the tail?

Hi again,

Can you let me know if it was Tapeworm or not, because not all wormers get rid of tapeworm.

Petra

What Wormer do you normaly use?

Sorry - we usually use Advocate - which doesn't cover tapeworm - and yes all signs look like that is what she has. I have just dosed them all now. Hubby has read up on it and looked and her poop is full of them.

She came straight to us from a breaking in property (greyhound) - where they are fed rabbits - plus she had fleas (but not since she has been here) so either of them are the likely sources.

Edited by CBL

They are stuck in the fur, not one to a shaft or anything.

From everything I have seen and having a quick chat to the vet, it sounds like tapeworm. Can't believe, as a biologist, it never occured to me! Of course if the medication doesn't work then we will be back to square one...

Ewwwww! My very first kitten had tapeworms :(

Now for the good news, seeing that you have wormed all the dogs you and hubby need to be wormed as well! I would also worm the dogs again in 2 weeks to be sure they are gone!

Yep I have stopped and bought worming meds for us, though the chances of us contracting it are apparently pretty slim. Have also dropped tablets off to my parents and inlaws as they spend a lot of time with the dogs - happy new year to them! :rofl:

Will follow up the worming again to be sure.

I swear, Lilly is the disaster dog - there is always something wrong!

The eggs (segments) will be throughout the house, but don't worry too much about them. The way that you catch tapeworm is by eating a flea that has eaten a tapeworm egg. You don't get it by eating the egg yourself. So flea control is very important in the prevention of tapeworm.

The eggs (segments) will be throughout the house, but don't worry too much about them. The way that you catch tapeworm is by eating a flea that has eaten a tapeworm egg. You don't get it by eating the egg yourself. So flea control is very important in the prevention of tapeworm.

Yep thats what I have read too. Thankfully we are flea-free but I will dose them just in case.