The Official January Photo A Day Challenge

Ashanali

There are some people on dial up still and it can take a long time for images to download so can we please try and keep images to a maximum of 11 inches long on the longest side and at 72DPI - if you are saving through photoshop, please save them at quality 6.

I know this won't show off all photos to their full potential but it means that people on dial up can still take part and view everyone elses images without having to walk away from the computer for an hour while photos load.

This challenge is for anyone, whether you have just been given your first camera for christmas up to professionals. The challenge is only against yourself to ensure you can take one photo each day for an entire month. It can be of anything you like (within obvious boundaries of taste).

If anyone wishes to post meta data or talk about their photoshop treatments then that is fine and encouraged.

Good luck and have fun everyone. Happy posting for January! :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I'll go first.

Shensei is the only one of my dogs who enjoys playing fetch. She was kind enough to help me out with this photo. :rolleyes:

3155677822_65419f12f2_o.jpg

camera Canon 30D

lens 50mm f1.4

ISO 200

f 1.8

shutter speed 1/3200

Photoshop - used 'tonal contrast action' to bring out the detail in the weeds. Brushed the layer back over Shensei so she didn't look 'ruddy'.

desaturated blue, magenta, green, cyan

played around in a colours layers until I found the tone I liked

:eek:

Who's next?

How exciting :eek: I've taken about 50 today, having trouble deciding :) I really enjoyed snapping away at two king parrots on our balcony though, so here we go -

IMG_17382.jpg

ETA: That's brilliant, Ash! What a great capture :(

Oh, um, EXIF data-

Canon 1000D

100mm macro lens

ISO: 200

Shutter speed: 1/400

Not sure of the F number :rolleyes:

F/4.0

Photoshop-

Levels slightly adjusted, brightness increased by 15 and contrast increased by 10. Oh, and left side cropped a bit.

Edited by iltby

Hi Guys, great shots, Im so looking forward to seeing more, I just have a question Im going away tomorow and wont be back for a week so is it ok when I get back to post my pic a day all in the one post? Just wanted to make sure it was ok??

Thanks

Hi Guys, great shots, Im so looking forward to seeing more, I just have a question Im going away tomorow and wont be back for a week so is it ok when I get back to post my pic a day all in the one post? Just wanted to make sure it was ok??

Thanks

Yep. This is what I will be doing for the days that I'm away also. :D Just list the dates as you post them.

Would love to post......but I don't have the same skill as you guys........those 2 pics are awesome. I do have photoshop (which I need to learn to use effectively) & a Nikon DSLR...............I take plenty of pics but somehow they are always lacking that X factor????

Would love to post......but I don't have the same skill as you guys........those 2 pics are awesome. I do have photoshop (which I need to learn to use effectively) & a Nikon DSLR...............I take plenty of pics but somehow they are always lacking that X factor????

ANY PHOTOS!

The only challenge is against yourself. Don't look at the work from other people and think you have to match it. This is just a fun thing to motivate people to pick up the camera and shoot.

So now you have to post :rolleyes: :mad :D

I dont have photoshop and I have no idea how to use my camera or anything about photography and I am giving it a go.

Come on... dont leave me to be the only n00b

I dont have photoshop and I have no idea how to use my camera or anything about photography and I am giving it a go.

Come on... dont leave me to be the only n00b

That's the spirit :D :rolleyes:

Here's my first go. I didnt take many photos today as I am feeling quite seedy and havent managed to make it passed my front doorstep :mad

I know its not exciting and I'm not very happy with it but my head hurts and my tummy feels sick :rolleyes:

jan0109.jpg

Panasonic FZ30

Dunno about lense stuff because it is a megazoom... can give focal length? :D

ISO 200

Shutter Speed 1/1000

F4

No editting as I have no software

Just for learnings sake... would you say the flower is over exposed?

this is the only thing I've photographed today.

Canon 400d

shutter speed 1/8

f 3.5

ISO 100

lens 50mm

3154815646_66137173bd.jpg

Ashanali I like the colouring on yours. I reminds me of colour picture books of the 1950's.

Edited by Kirislin

Just for learnings sake... would you say the flower is over exposed?

No. It is perfect exposure. :D

If it was overexposed you would get splotches of pure white that lack any sort of detail. You have done very well.

Wine Refraction

Jan_01___Wine_Refraction_by_Ravyk.jpg

Make: SONY

Model: DSC-W1

Shutter Speed: 10/80 second

F Number: F/2.8

Focal Length: 8 mm

ISO Speed: 320

Date Picture Taken: Jan 1, 2009, 6:50:40 PM

Edited by Ravyk