Rotti With Lymphoma

kizzybear

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and any other forum as well. I have a beautiful 10.5 year old rotti that has just been diagnosed with lymphoma and been given an estimate of her surviving another 4-8 weeks. Chemo is not an option first due to her age, size, and low white blood cell count, which gives her only a 5-10% chance of it going into remission and secondly due to the cost, up to $5000.

It started when I found a small lump in her neck which felt like an enlarged lymph node, blood tests showed the lymphocites were abnormal consistent with lymphoma. we tried to biopsy the lymph node, but got the salivary gland instead, which apparently happens to at least 80% of cases and we did X-rays which showed a mass in her tummy. Ultrasound showed her spleen was about to rupture and the mass was on her spleen which could account for the abnormal lymphocites. So she had surgery the next day to remove her spleen, and more X-Rays to make sure nothing had spread to her chest, the was omly a haematoma.

I was hoping all was well but the lump continued to grow so fine needle aspirates were taken of the lymph nodes in her hind legs and they showed the dreaded lymphoma has spread. My baby has literally saved my life from a knife weilding ex, been there through the toughest times of my life and guards and looks after my nearly 3 year old son. Letting me know when he is up to no good outside and he won't sleep without her beside his bed.

Does anybody know of any other things that could help prolong her life?

Kind Regards

Kizzybear

Edited by kizzybear

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and any other forum as well. I have a beautiful 10.5 year old rotti that has just been diagnosed with lymphoma and been given an estimate of her surviving another 4-8 weeks. Chemo is not an option first due to her age, size, and low white blood cell count, which gives her only a 5-10% chance of it going into remission and secondly due to the cost, up to $5000.

It started when I found a small lump in her neck which felt like an enlarged lymph node, blood tests showed the lymphocites were abnormal consistent with lymphoma. we tried to biopsy the lymph node, but got the salivary gland instead, which apparently happens to at least 80% of cases and we did X-rays which showed a mass in her tummy. Ultrasound showed her spleen was about to rupture and the mass was on her spleen which could account for the abnormal lymphocites. So she had surgery the next day to remove her spleen, and more X-Rays to make sure nothing had spread to her chest, the was omly a haematoma.

I was hoping all was well but the lump continued to grow so fine needle aspirates were taken of the lymph nodes in her hind legs and they showed the dreaded lymphoma has spread. My baby has literally saved my life from a knife weilding ex, been there through the toughest times of my life and guards and looks after my nearly 3 year old son. Letting me know when he is up to no good outside and he won't sleep without her beside his bed.

Kind Regards

Kizzybear

Hi There,

Kind Regards

Kizzybear

Hi Kizzybear

I personally have found Diana Hayes a holistic therapist really great!!

www.holisticanimalmedicines.com.au

She is located in Perth and im in NSW and have had a couple of phone consultations. They are really nice to talk to

and have a fabulous website.

All the very best.

Has your vet prescribed prednisalone?

Is your dog still eating normally?

Carbohydrates are easily converted into sugars which are believed to feed cancer. Remove the carbs from the diet and the cancer has less/nothing to feed on.

So if your dog is still eating normally I would remove any dry food and any grains (rice, wheat, oats etc) from her diet and feed a BARF or Raw food diet.

Saying that I have provided pallative care, in the last 3 weeks of his life, for a pug that had Stomach Lymphoma. Because of the lymphoma some days he would eat and other days he would not so I basically didn't care what he ate as long as it was something. If he didn't eat I would syringe feed him. As well as his prednisalone I was giving him slippery elm (supposed to help with upset tummies), Omega Oil (supposed to inhibit cancer), Pentavite (to stimulate his appetite) and another paste like subsance that was supposed to stimulate his appetite.

kizzybear: i have replied to your other thread in the palliative care forum (spelling?) My golden retriever had extremely advanced stages of lymphoma. Biopsies taken of spleen, stomach, liver and intestines showed Lymphoma was present in all those organs. Her lymph nodes were also extremely enlarged and we felt lumps in her neck and we were told we would have her a week maybe two at the most. We made a decision to let her go with the little dignity she had left as she also had diabetes, hip and elbow dysplasia as well as arthritis in other joints, pancreatitis and she also had an immune deficiency problem.

She was a very unwell dog, and it was in her best interests to be put to sleep. If you can keep her pain free and comfortable while you can, then go for the natural treatments if it is going to give her and you more time together pain free it is definitely worth it.

good luck to you both :)

Lucy was pts November 6 2008 just 6 weeks prior to her 6th birthday.