Aggressive On Walks

Hi I have 3 dogs and one of them has become aggressive towards other dogs on walks. She started off ok just barking but now if we walk her up to another dog and let her have a sniff she will snap at them. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to address this??

As with any aggression issue, I suggest you see a behaviourist (or a trainer with experience in dog aggression) sooner rather than later. It's really hard to diagnose or help a problem like this online and a professional will be able to address your dog on an individual basis.

ETA: Where are you located? I'm sure someone will be able to recommend someone who can help.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

for the moment just avoid direct meetings, dont stress and if she carries on march her away quietly but quickly. Literally turn around, "come on!' and briskly walk away.

These problems are best dealt with trainer one on one :mad

ok thanks

I am wondering if it is the other 2 working her up. We resently started her on a halti as with 3 they could pull me over with their pulling and when i first walked her on it on her own she walked up to 4 other dogs all together had a sniff and then walked away no interest. I am in Melbourne eastern suburbs, so i will look into a trainer but a bit worried about how much they will cost. I might try taking her on her own tonight and see if there is a differance.

Thanks for advice

you shouldnt walk 3 dogs together if they pull AT ALL. You will have problems for sure, I would work on them individually and regain some control. If you need to put a correction chain on the 'ringleader' in a group situation.

I walk 3 dogs at once and we simply ignore all dogs on walks. No expectation of a meeting = no heightened anxiety = no uncontrolled behavior.

Dogs dont have to meet other dogs on walks. I dont like it as I don't know the other dog or how it will react and since mine weigh 130kg combined I dont want that deciding it wants to go over or start trouble.

but now if we walk her up to another dog and let her have a sniff she will snap at them. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to address this??

This sounds like Toby, I just dont let him go up to strange dogs while he's on a lead, off lead he's fine. He knows if another dog is coming towards us or coming past us to go to heel.

one of my dogs is dog agressive so i only walk one at a time.I have tried to get her to 'watch" me when another dog is near but she tends to turn her ears off at that time so now I just shovel food into her and it seems to be working.The other day I had chicken feet hanging out my treat bag,just popped a chicken foot in her mouth and she's to busy munching on it to be bothered about other dogs and starts relaising other dogs means I get really good treats

Edited by 4 Paws

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been working all the dogs on their own and although time consuming they have improved alot. Still pulls like crazy she let another dog sniff her and then had a little snap (the other dog was off lead didn't walk her up to it) but I can handle that and i am going to start giving her treats when she sees them as suggested she is a very food orientated dog so i think it will help.

Thanks again to everyone

Still pulls like crazy she let another dog sniff her and then had a little snap

until she learns NOT to pull, to give you better focus and too relax do not introduce her to other dogs.

You are making problems for yourself. Dogs do not NEED to meet every dog they pass. If she is not calm she should not meet other dogs. You are not 'fixing' the problem you will actually just cement her behavior of snapping.

No I'm not trying to introduce her to dogs but its hard to control other peoples dogs who are off the leash. I only take her to on the lead parks and down the streets leading to them but unfortunatly in my area people seem to ignore this. She stops pulling when I say no on her own but as to the other dogs its unavoidable when they just run up to her.

• 1 month later...

I also have a problem with my 11 months old Sheltie and has been with us only for 3 months.

I takes him to obedience classes (the third one tonight) but he is still agressive toward other dogs sometimes.

He is fine with some dogs but not others. He doesn't like other dogs to approach him first.

At home he gets along very well with our terrier.

No I'm not trying to introduce her to dogs but its hard to control other peoples dogs who are off the leash. I only take her to on the lead parks and down the streets leading to them but unfortunatly in my area people seem to ignore this. She stops pulling when I say no on her own but as to the other dogs its unavoidable when they just run up to her.

i would not take her anywhere that has dogs off leash. maybe look around your area for another park where people respect the rules.

my dog (14 months old) behaves like yours and i do not allow her to meet strange dogs. if i want this fearful behaviour to change then i need her to be around predictable dogs because if a bad situation happens then her behaviour will become worse.

as this is an important period in her life, second fear period, i need to make sure she knows that wherever i take her is safe. i have to step up my leadership with her.

i have stopped her from pulling now by changing direction often so she needs to watch me carefully to know where we are going. i also change where we walk so she doesn't know the way, ie she can't pull cause she doesn't really know where we are going :)

I don't mean this as a DIY dog training suggestion . . . getting help is worthwhile.

But if you want to see how strong lead handling can curb aggressiveness, you might want to check out a few Dog Whisperer DVDs from your local DVD shop . . . it's amazing how quickly and effectively someone who knows how to read and handle a dog can get leash aggressive dogs to snap into line.

I don't mean this as a DIY dog training suggestion . . . getting help is worthwhile.

But if you want to see how strong lead handling can curb aggressiveness, you might want to check out a few Dog Whisperer DVDs from your local DVD shop . . . it's amazing how quickly and effectively someone who knows how to read and handle a dog can get leash aggressive dogs to snap into line.

Sandgrubber,

do you know somone like that in Perth. Maybe I should take my Sheltie to a dog whisperer or whatever we call them over here.

Sandgrubber,

do you know somone like that in Perth. Maybe I should take my Sheltie to a dog whisperer or whatever we call them over here.

Sorry, not really. I'm not a devoted fan of Cesar Milan, but am impressed by his ability to quell aggressive dogs.

I do know a NOR amateur dog trainer (working as a chef) -- German / Latin American background -- who is good with leash handling and, while no where near as good at communication with humans as CM, has gone all the way to teaching Shutz to higher levels in Germany, and is good at communicating to dogs, if not people. He tends to favor play rewards and is not harsh, but knows how to apply correction. PM me if you want contacts.