My Little Experiment With Dog Food

Anna H

Hi peoples...

Just thought I'd share my 'accidental' experiment with you all and see what you all think.

Due to one thing or another (wont bore you with those details) I wasn't able to get to the butcher for raw bones etc last week and so both my dogs were fed entirely on decent quality large breed dry food for the week.

I've noticed such a massive difference in BOTH the dogs.. and it was less than a positive one. I'd just like to point out, that during the past week, both the dogs were exercised the same as usual.

After only one week of this diet, both my dogs were hyper active nut cases! :angel::love: . Cougar is pretty mature in years and even he has seemingly gone nuts.. but Chelsea was by far the worst affected of the two, driving me totally insane (I've never seen her like this, ever). Either way, neither of them can sit still for a nano-second without whining like idiots.

And whilst their coats are still nice and shiney, both of them have gained a little weight around the middle despite me feeding a fair bit less than the recommended daily amount of food.

I just came back from the butcher/supermarket this morning... I'm off to 'un-do' all the chaos.

I cannot think of any other reason for this change in behaviour other than the dog food, nothing else changed in their routines in any way...

Guest scottiebear

Bonzawani, Yes there are some good dog foods out there. Some of us just can't do the all raw diet. We know this is probably best but can't. If you're from US check out "dog nutrition", "dog foods" in your search engine and compare the foods for yourself. What you want to look for are foods with NO preservatives, No corn, No wheat or soy products. You also want to make sure it states on the package that it passes (i think this is right) AFKCO testing standards. There is also a Comparison Chart on the net to look at so just type again in search engine "dog food comparison chart" and you will see the difference.

A lot will depend on your dog too.

Have fun!

Oh and there is a dog forum which just had this question posted, "what do you feed your dog food" there was a lot of discussion and some bashing(just ignore it) but was very informative. The group is "pets.ca".

Sue

I dunno Throwing a bone or two out once a day with some table scraps seems more lazy to me . Especially when there's about a third as much poop to pick up and less time used on things such as parasites etc. You can put a muliti vitamin pill on a peanut butter sandwich if your worried about missing out on something.

If I fed Andy my table scraps he definitely wouldn't be healthy! :angel:

I think I'll switch from Iams to one of the Nutro lines of dry food. He always gets a heaping teaspoon of canned (chicken or beef slices in gravy) dog food in every meal.

He gets a half tablet of PET-TABS vitamin-mineral supplements each day, and has since he was born.

Think I should up it to a whole tab now that he's 19 months old?

Thanx scottiebear!

Nutro Natural Choice came in second (rated 7) to Life's Abundance (the brand sold @ the comparison site, rated 10).

EDIT: I dunno either! :love:

Andy= 26lbs.

Iams - 1⅛-1½ cups/daily

Natural Choice - 2¼ cups/daily

I just decided to mix one of the above with Wellness Super-5.

Bonz

Edited by Bonzawani

It's weird because on some dogs I have found improvements on high quality dry food...

Didn't say all, but whenever I have seen a dog look 100% better than when it left, generally with a nice thick shiny coat, healthy teeth and gums, I don't know...just looked a million dollars...they were fed on solely dry food...

One of the dogs was fed on Eukanuba, one on Purina and the other on Advance...

Not to mention that at one stage I fed my dogs only on Hill's and I was happy with the results...

Not to say BARF doesn't work, as I part feed BARF...but yet to see anything really special...

Mel

P.S What brand of dry food did you use?

Maybe it was just my two then.. Chels is pretty hyper to start with!

Mel, I only said 'decent' food... not top quality stuff :p . I had a bag of Supercoat in the back of the cupboard as back up food and just used that. Prolly not the best example of dry food out on the market, but certainly not the worst...

I don't know what it was in the food that caused the problem (and I can't think of anything else that would have caused this hyperactivity either :love:)... but now I have a bag on Advance as back up food should I get stuck again. I'm sure that is much better quality.

Maybe I fed too much too, tho I did feed way less than recommended. :angel:

Like I said, not the most scientific experiment, but thought others might find it interesting.

It may well have been too much - I don't think I've even gone close to the recommended feeding amounts on the pack for any of our dogs. One of the nurses at work feeds her two Border Collies (very very fit agility dogs) 1.5C of Eukanuba light daily - thats not much at all.

Bonzawani - have you been to www.naturesvariety.com - Prarie pet food, or www.naturapet.com - Innova and California Natural?

I've been doing a LOT of research lately on natural pet foods for my work and I've been writing comparisons for publication on all variety of pet foods including the more popular brands - we all know who I'm talking about. It's a very disturbing but highly educational project.

Edited by Leenie

Interesting reaction :angel:

Yeah, as far as laziness ...I sometimes feel guilty for not spending as much money as I could (as some other ppl do) on my dogs but I think why feel bad as they are healthy (alebiet one is a tad heavy but we are working on him)

and are never (touch wood ) sick and have healthy teeth, gums etc and this on a modified Barf type diet which is definitely cheaper, again this is a sml breed too.

Maybe it was just my two then.. Chels is pretty hyper to start with!

Mel, I only said 'decent' food... not top quality stuff ;) . I had a bag of Supercoat in the back of the cupboard as back up food and just used that. Prolly not the best example of dry food out on the market, but certainly not the worst...

I don't know what it was in the food that caused the problem (and I can't think of anything else that would have caused this hyperactivity either :p)... but now I have a bag on Advance as back up food should I get stuck again. I'm sure that is much better quality.

Maybe I fed too much too, tho I did feed way less than recommended. :angel:

Like I said, not the most scientific experiment, but thought others might find it interesting.

Mine is even further from scientific :love:

I thought you had used the more expensive kibble, that's why I thought I would ask what you used, I have never seen Supercoat be of any use, I actually really do not like the stuff at all...but then again, it probably works well for others!

Hills has always been my favourite, just so damn expensive, it was okay when I was working full time...but I have no chance now!

My mother had had success with her racing dogs being fed on Chum kibble ;) now I think she uses something else, but there is no difference in the dogs...

It's good that you know what works well for your dogs, and I think that's the best that any of us could ever do...:)

Mel

Hi Chelseas mum, I have been using supercoat mixed with mince and vegies, pasta or rice plus other things for about 4 years now and have never experienced what you have. Maybe there is something in it that doesnt agree with your dogs. I mean not all people can eat the same foods so why wouldn't dogs be the same :rofl: My dogs thrive on it and I know of a lot of breeders that raise puppies on it, My opinion is find what works for you and your dogs and stick with it, I cant feed my dogs Bonnie but know of heaps of people who can, good luck with any further experiments. :p

Jacqui

Eridor Smooth Collies

Perhaps the kibble has reacted similar to how some children get when they pig out on candy...sugar high and off the walls they go!

I"m pretty sure many of the processed kibbles are higher in sugars than feeding natural. Gotta wonder if that isn't the case here?

As well...like any food...dogs fed this diet for extended periods probably build up a resistance or react less over time to the food as do people while trying to desensitize for allergies for example...just a thought

My kids always went "overboard" on colouring - red in particlular - oldest doesn't need alcohol to get 'happy" - a glass of red cordial does the trick. :rofl:

Of course, then there is the "downer" which is actually hard to manage in kids 'cause they get tired, cranky and difficult. :p Sometimes this is diagnosed as other things, I think, because it is a delayed result.

cheers

Guest scottiebear

Hey Bonz

Nutro Puppy Natural Choice Lamb and Rice is what I feed Scottie as well as Wellness Yogurt, Banana etc. treats and Dogsownpantry treats. The treats are all natural and Scottie loves them. There is no corn, wheat or soy(or preservatives) His breeder had started him on Pro-plan only because she finds once the pups go home it's a food owners are more likely to continue with as it is top grocery store brand and is easily available. Well this is our second Wheaten and we just him to eat a more healthy diet. Don't be surprised if there is a little upset at first, ie. gas :rofl: :p

Good for you for switching :confused::rofl:

Sue

Thanx Leenie! - I'll check those out too.

scottiebear - The Nutro Puppy Natural Choice Lamb and Rice (small bites) is what I picked of that brand. I thought I'd give him that at night (If I switch off the Iams. He gobbles that up quickly and has 3 small poops per day.) & the Wellness Super5 Chicken in the morning.

I've been giving Andy the Nutro Puppy Chops because they're small and he can have them a few times a day. Every night, late, he gets 1 Nutro Tarter Control biscuit to clean his teeth & fill him up 'til morning.

I'll check out those Wellness treats too & may buy to give him a bigger variety of treats.

It's funny; I've been using Iams for over a decade for my cats and bought it for the dog since we got him. Before joining this Forum I thought I was getting good, premium food and never worried. But now... :rofl:

Gas?... Mrs B. has to endure my snoring and Andy's. Soon, she may have to endure my gas and Andy's too! :p

Thanx everyone! thankyou.gif

Bonz

Bonzawani,

If I lived in the States, and I had to pick a kibble to feed my dogs, it would have to be

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul, ..its a kibble,

If you want to check out whats in the different kibbles,

Then you can search for ...Natura Pet Products...Comparison Wizard.

Its quite good in the fact that you can type in 4 different kibbles and compare the ingredients in each one,

Susan