Where To Buy Raw ?

laffi

I only buy the mince, don't know the other prices off the top of my head.

Chicken mince is around $2 or maybe $2.50 a kg.

The mixed varieties ie. with sardines/liver/rabbit/pork/beef mixed in ranges from $2.75-$3.75 a kg.

What I love about it is the range and that they come in 1kg take away container tubs so they are easy to stack in the freezer and store in the fridge - 1 tub does us for 2 days.

Takes me at least an hour to get there but I always buy in bulk and make sure my freezer is packed full!

:laugh: to that brand! a big favourite here too!!!! I get it from Bowhouse in Bondi, and from memory i think it's around $3.80 for 1 tub. Can't bulk buy coz I only have a small freezer on top of the fridge :laugh: I also get plain minced chicken frames from Lennards chicken, $2.50 a kilo

• 3 weeks later...
Are they really difficult to cut up? - you could try a hacksaw blade - my OH cut up a big done for me with his the other day - takes a while but did the job

Might have to find one of those hacksaw blades. I ruined a knife just trying to finish off the job that the QVM stall assistant did. It was a cheapish knife, though - not going to risk our better knives.

I find it much easier to buy bulk chicken necks (fresh, you can get 12kg boxes from certain supermarkets in Queensland) and bulk blade steak from bulk butcher, and then i soak my vets all natural product, and just freeze in plastic containers. I mince chicken necks myself so i know its fresh and whats in it, and with the steak i just dice, i also add fresh vegetables. I dont use dry food or commercial packed food. My dogs get that in the morning and bones at night.

Tasman Meats in Brooklyn (Melbourne West) sell heaps of raw. I buy mince chicken carcasses for $1 kilo. It's pre-bagged and frozen. They also sell 2 or 3 frames for $1. Last time I was there they had heaps of heart, kidney liver and tongue of all sorts of Animals, and also whole pigs heads.

It's just off Geelong Rd on McDonald Road. Huge meat supermarket, you can't miss it.

Edited by Nik

QLD

ROCKHAMPTON:

Busby's Pet Meat & Supplies

Address: 35 Berserker St, Berserker, QLD, 4701

Phone number: (07) 49285138

Gold Coast

Pet Deli

66 Bundall Road

Bundall Qld

http://petdeli.net.au/

Please note these are not from personal experience. I do know people who have used the place in Rockhampton and been happy with them.

Edited by badboyz

• 2 weeks later...

A Northside Brisbane one is Chermside Quality Meats in the shopping centre up near Coles I buy 10/15kg box of chicken mince for nxt to nothing fresh then I bag it and freeze it into portions I wnt. I think they also have 1kgbags frzn cheap chicken necks and frames as well! I just ring and ask them for it and tell them a day I'll drop down and pick it up!

• 3 weeks later...
Tasman Meats in Brooklyn (Melbourne West) sell heaps of raw. I buy mince chicken carcasses for $1 kilo. It's pre-bagged and frozen. They also sell 2 or 3 frames for $1. Last time I was there they had heaps of heart, kidney liver and tongue of all sorts of Animals, and also whole pigs heads.

It's just off Geelong Rd on McDonald Road. Huge meat supermarket, you can't miss it.

Nik, did you have to ask for any of that stuff or did they have it out? We go to Tasman every fortnight for our food but we go to the one next to Moorabin Airport. I am yet to see any chicken mince or tongue or anything like that.. Have seen the frames though.

Nik, did you have to ask for any of that stuff or did they have it out? We go to Tasman every fortnight for our food but we go to the one next to Moorabin Airport. I am yet to see any chicken mince or tongue or anything like that.. Have seen the frames though.

The chicken carcass mince is in the freezer at mine - I just happened to find it. They did only have 2 bags left last time I was there, and I asked for more but they said they only do it once a week. Guess you just have to get lucky. There is a whole display fridge at Brooklyn dedicated to offal and bones - that's where I found the fresh chicken frames.

I bought a side of lamb last time I went for just over $30. We had the roast and chops, Annie got the breast, shank and neck bone! Good deal I thought.

Edited by Nik

• 2 weeks later...
SA Adelaide
I'm from up north but some places that I now of that are good are:

Central Market - in the arcade where there are a few butchers, can often get a good range at a good price.

Rainbow Meats - South Rd near the Brickworks market. I haven't been there for awhile but they used to be really good quality and cheap also an excellent range of meats. It is a Halal butcher, so no pork but I have got chicken. turkey, lamb, beef and goat from there before. And they used to be happy to cut things to size - eg would cut the beef necks down to size. Also they used to give us extra bags of off cuts and stuff. Sometimes they would be too fatty but often there would be another meal or 2 for 3 dogs in the free bag they gave us.

Rural Pet Meats - South Rd O Hallorhan Hill sp not that far from you. Heading south it is on the left hand side, just past the big pet shop - in the same block of shops. From there I have bought lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, kangaroo and venison. I got to Mt Compass for herding lessons and often stop in on the way back to get some good meaty bones from them

I agree with Central Markets. I get the dogs chicken from O'Connell's Meats there. They have large meaty chicken frames that are, I think, $1 per kilo. You get about 4 to a kilo. They are so big that our 91/2 month old doesn't know what to do with hers. :xmashohoho:

I stopped there on Tuesday after work and bought 8 chicken frames, 4kgs of chicken wings and 2kgs of chicken neck mince and it cost me about $17.

Their chicken neck mince is $1.50 per kilo and the wings are 2 kilos for $5.

Bendigo

I just rang Hazeldene's, you have to go to Lockwood to collect their dog meat, in the mornings. Fresh on Thursdays, frozen other days, in 12kg boxes.

Their Chicken necks are $15.60 per box

Mince, which includes bone in it, the lady said it was "better than dog food quality" is $22.80 per box

Rhonda

Hi all, I am new to the forum but wanted everyone to know that as of last week Hazeldenes at Lockwood will not sell fresh chicken mince - apparently due to health reasons (?) - so i had to buy the chicken necks. They will still be selling the 12kg boxes frozen but then you have to thaw it - YUK!! I bought 2 X 12kg boxes of necks and came home and bagged them up. Should keep out dog happy for 6 or 7 months.

Just a quick question. Anyone know of where to buy RAW in the Adelaide Hills? Around the Mount Barker area? I have asked a few butchers but no luck. I can get chicken and kangaroo mince, however am looking for lamb mince and offal. Also where do people buy fish? What kind of fish? Is it expensive?

I'll ask my friend who lives up in Mt Barker, but I know you can buy Turkey necks at the Woolies there.

Fish tends to be best bought from a fishmonger. I am yet to find one close to me, the only one I know is the fish markets out at Pt Adelaide.

I get my pet meat from Rural Pet Meats at O'Halloran Hill on South Rd. They have chicken, roo, turkey and I think lamb as well. Their turkey [necks] is $2.20kg, roo [tail sections] is around $2.50kg, chicken necks I think are $1.20-$1.50kg. Not sure about anything else as I haven't bought anything more from them.

• 2 weeks later...

SA Adelaide

'Fido's Funhouse' www.fidosfunhouse.com.au It's about 10 minutes from the city in the Minicozzi shopping centre. 305a Payneham Road, Royston Park. Ph 8363 4446.

They have raw meats, bones, chicken necks & frames, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

ADELAIDE SA

BARF (see barfsa.com.au) for stockists of BARF patties

Raw meats and bones

- Pet Cafe, Port Rd Woodville (enter through BP servo)

- Rural Pet Meats, shop 10-11, 47-69 South Rd, O'Halloran Hill 8322 5365

- Lenards (various outlets) call outlets for stock and pricing because it varies greatly. I have used stores at Hilton and more recently Hallett Cove Foodland. Fresh Chicken carcasses are 99c/Kg at these stores. Some stores also do fresh carcass mince quite cheap.

Cheers

Lotsa Pet Food in Woodridge are also selling a small range of Big Dog and they sell all varieties of bones at a good price. They also sell 12kg boxes of chicken necks. Their BARF is heaps cheaper than Dr B's with no grain in it.

Raw meats and bones

- Pet Cafe, Port Rd Woodville (enter through BP servo)

Any idea on what types of bones Pet Cafe has and approximate prices?

its been a while since been there, but everything from rawhide bones in various sizes/forms, to lamb flabs, roo bones, etc. Quite extensive range inc accessories so best to pay them a visit or call.

Cheers

Adelaide SA

Aussie Country Pet Food

41BROADWAY, Glenelg, SA 5045

Think there's also a bigger shop down at Aldinga somewhere as well.

We've gotten roo tails, turkey necks, chicken necks, turkey carcusses and I think we may have also gotten sheep necks from there but not 100% sure on that one! They now also have whole rabbits too :thumbsup:

They also do diced and minced meat - turkey, lamb, roo and beef as well as those raw and cooked "packs" with pasta or rice and veges too as well as stocking the BARF patties if anyone uses those too.