Chicken Necks

Ravyk

How many/much of chicken necks should I feed my dogs??

one is a 1-2yo 21.7kg ACDX

the other is a 3 yo 13kg bitza terrier

they also get fed a vegetable pulp with different things added to it on a regular basis, as well as lamb offcuts every few days

I have never given my dogs raw bones of any kind. However, many years ago everyone gave their dogs cooked bones. I would never do that today except!

I make a chicken stew for Honey--started it several years ago when I had 3 dogs. I take 5 pounds of chicken thighs, about 3 pounds of chicken necks, about 1 o 1 1/2 pounds of beef liver or chicken gizzards, cut up, 2 chpped up appls, a couple of chopped up sweet potatoes, a 1 pound bag of frozen green beans and sometimes some sliced yellow or green squash. Put it al in crock po (slo cooker), cover with water, bring to boil, turn heat down and cook 24 hours....covered The chicken neck bones go totaly mush, and the ends of the thigh bones, and in some cases, the entire thigh bone, just crumbs. She gets about 2/3 cup each night with her 2/3 cup of kibble. I keep out enough for like 5 days and freeze the rest in bags to go 3 days.

they also get fed a vegetable pulp with different things added to it on a regular basis, as well as lamb offcuts every few days

I'd suggest you feed wings rather than necks. They will make your dogs chew more and are less of a choking hazard to a larger dog.

I'd start the larger dog on 4-5 and the smaller on 3-4 and see how they go. You'll have to take size of the wings into account - they vary a fair bit.

i dont feed cooked bones to my dogs...ever. my boyfriends brother did that to one dog, and we had her vomiting up bone shards at 4am-quite a scary experience!!

my dogs are fed on a varient of the BARF diet. they dont get cooked meat or commercial dog food of any kind. everything they eat is raw-like the way nature intended it to be! :thumbsup:

i do normally feed them chicken wings, but the shops were out when i went, so i had to get chicken necks instead.

thanks for your help

I have never given my dogs raw bones of any kind. However, many years ago everyone gave their dogs cooked bones. I would never do that today except!

I make a chicken stew for Honey--started it several years ago when I had 3 dogs. I take 5 pounds of chicken thighs, about 3 pounds of chicken necks, about 1 o 1 1/2 pounds of beef liver or chicken gizzards, cut up, 2 chpped up appls, a couple of chopped up sweet potatoes, a 1 pound bag of frozen green beans and sometimes some sliced yellow or green squash. Put it al in crock po (slo cooker), cover with water, bring to boil, turn heat down and cook 24 hours....covered The chicken neck bones go totaly mush, and the ends of the thigh bones, and in some cases, the entire thigh bone, just crumbs. She gets about 2/3 cup each night with her 2/3 cup of kibble. I keep out enough for like 5 days and freeze the rest in bags to go 3 days.

hello goldens :thumbsup: you will find that people in Australia are more keen on raw food rather than cooked :shrug:

I lived in US for almost 6 years and I know people there are very scared of feeding raw.

I personally don't give my dogs anything cooked and definitely not meat or bones :laugh: .

Edited by laffi

hello goldens :thumbsup: you will find that people in Australia are more keen on raw food rather than cooked :shrug:

I lived in US for almost 6 years and I know people there are very scared of feeding raw.

I personally don't give my dogs anything cooked and definitely not meat or bones :laugh: .

Raw feeding is pretty popular here and on all forums there are always pros and cons. I suppose because I can't eat meat if i is slightly pink, i have a hard time thinking about my dogs eating it. I did try about a year go, but neither KayCee (who died in May of cancer nor Honey would eat the raw chicken hearts nor the raw gound beef.

I wanted to try the aw chicken wigs to clean teeth, but could not bring myself to do so---I saw a lab pup at my vets that had a bone spinter, pierce his stomache and peritonitis had set in. When I saw him he had a temp of 107 and wa lmt omatos. Hedid late tat dy my vet tod me. Gee, I am such a big chicken and a worry wart when it comes to feeding dogs.

Raw feeding is pretty common here on DOL Goldens. My dogs are raw fed and have been so for about 9 years now.

Life is not without its risks. Dogs can choke to death or contract salmonella or melamine poisoning from canned food or kibble. Informed choice is what we all need to make but bear in mind that dogs have eaten uncooked food for tens of thousands of years. Kibble has only been commonly available since the 1950's.

Your dogs would probably handle a raw chicken wing better than raw offal. My dogs won't eat offal unless its mixed in with other food.

Edited by poodlefan

thats the same as mine, they wont touch offal by itself so i mince it up in their veggie mixture occasionally

i've also found, since changing to a raw diet, my dogs [one in particular] is a lot less fussy than she used to be-we used to waste 10-15 dollars a week on food she wouldnt eat, now she loves her food, whatever it is

My Chihuahuas love chicken necks. We cut them into pieces and they crunch the bones. They also have meat, veges and kibble. I am a bit frightened to give them wings as the bone might splinter in their little tummies, so stick with the necks.

My Chihuahuas love chicken necks. We cut them into pieces and they crunch the bones. They also have meat, veges and kibble. I am a bit frightened to give them wings as the bone might splinter in their little tummies, so stick with the necks.

you dont need to worry as long as they are raw. the bones tend to be very soft so its very rare if a raw bone splinters and perforates their gut.

its the cooked ones that are bad, because the bones go brittle and splinter waay more easily

Work out your dogs ideal body weight.

Work out what 2% of that body weigh is.

Work out what 75% of that 2% is. This will be the chicken necks in grams

Work out what 25% of that 2% is. This will be the veggies.

ie..

If your dogs ideal weight is 10kg.

2% of that is 200grams

75% of that is 150grams (so 150 grams of chicken necks)

25% of that is 50 grams (so 50 grams of veggies)