Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome

Hi all - when we bought our Border Terriers the breeder suggested we avoid beef in case it brings on CECS - none of their dogs have it but she advised this as a better safe than sorry type thing. Since then I've done a bit of research and it seems to me the breeder was going off some old research - because current info mentions its probably more to do with gluten etc rather than beef.

I've been very careful not to give my dogs beef but I've realised some things I've given them have probably had beef in them (pigs ears for example that were basted in beef fat).

The reason I'm thinking about this again is because I have been given a massive bag of bones from the butcher and there is probably beef in there along with lamb (can you tell - I assume beef is a bit darker??).

I obviously dont want to put the health of my pups on the line but I suspect I'm being careful for the wrong reason?

Any comments welcome.

Hi all - when we bought our Border Terriers the breeder suggested we avoid beef in case it brings on CECS - none of their dogs have it but she advised this as a better safe than sorry type thing. Since then I've done a bit of research and it seems to me the breeder was going off some old research - because current info mentions its probably more to do with gluten etc rather than beef.

Hi Garden Girl - I have BTs too, and more to the point, one with CECS symptoms. There's lots of stuff out there now about it, but have to say I've never heard the one about not giving them beef!! I know there is a fair bit of "grass-roots" evidence that grains do not appear to benefit dogs who are symptomatic. I feed my dogs a raw diet - including beef, lamb, chicken, fish etc. and they both get small amounts of grains in various treats etc.

CECS is genetic - I don't believe it can be "brought on" by diet, but I do believe that if you have a symptomatic dog then you need to look at its diet carefully.

JMHO, of course,

Toshman