'swimmer' Puppies

baguley

:rofl: Any advice on the cause and outlook for 'swimmer' puppies known as pectus cavatum. These little cavalier puppies legs are in the position of a turtle's flippers and they 'swim' rather than walk. At 5 weeks only 1 out of our 3 puppies is walking normally, the rest try to stagger to their feet but fall down after a few steps.Their chests are still somewhat flattened. They are normal weight. We are faced with the prospect of having to put them down and are very distressed about this problem. has anyone encountered it before? Can these puppies go on to lead healthy lives? What is the cause? can it be prevented? Advice most welcome.

Please post in the breeders subforum, you will get a lot more responses there.

I know little about it, but have been told that egg cartons or rolled towels should be placed under the bedding (so that it is lumpy) and also massaging/passive movement of the limbs can help but I'm not sure if it's too late at 5 weeks old. The breeders I've known of who have had swimmers puppies reacted immediately and pups went on to be normal.

Good luck, but please do post in the breeder section.

Edited by tramissa

Please post in the breeders subforum, you will get a lot more responses there.

I know little about it, but have been told that egg cartons or rolled towels should be placed under the bedding (so that it is lumpy) and also massaging/passive movement of the limbs can help but I'm not sure if it's too late at 5 weeks old. The breeders I've known of who have had swimmers puppies reacted immediately and pups went on to be normal.

Good luck, but please do post in the breeder section.

Thanks, Tramissa,

I have tried your suggestions with limited success. I will post in breeders forum.

Baguley

The first litter of whippet puppies I had were bottle fed and by 2 days old the vet was saying they were swimmers. I'd never heard of it before but in my puppies case I soon realised it was the way I was holding them to feed and just pick them up. I had my thumb on their chests and because their bones were so soft I was quickly squashing them to that shape. As soon as I realised what I was doing I changed the way I held them and within about 2 days they were fine again.

I dont know if that's why your puppies are shaped that way but I wonder if it's too late to start gently pressing them maybe with the flat of your hands on either side of their ribs to shape them. Is it worth a try?

The first litter of whippet puppies I had were bottle fed and by 2 days old the vet was saying they were swimmers. I'd never heard of it before but in my puppies case I soon realised it was the way I was holding them to feed and just pick them up. I had my thumb on their chests and because their bones were so soft I was quickly squashing them to that shape. As soon as I realised what I was doing I changed the way I held them and within about 2 days they were fine again.

I dont know if that's why your puppies are shaped that way but I wonder if it's too late to start gently pressing them maybe with the flat of your hands on either side of their ribs to shape them. Is it worth a try?

Thanks Kirislin,

Our puppies have been well fed by their mum. Did your vet suggest a hereditary factor for your babies or simply put it down to the way they were being fed?

Thanks, Baguley

The two pups I've had who went a bit flat were caused by environment. The first one I'd had them overheated. Once I cooled it down a bit and did some work with her she came good. They other one was a very fat puppy so I kept moving her away from Mum and doing some physio and made the whelping box lumpy.

There is lots of information on swimmer puppies on DOL.

Please use the search function.

I am one that was able to save a swimmer puppy who went on to become a Champion with a good hipscore.

Swimmer puppies are basically lazy puppies that need to work for there food. The quicker you get them up and moving the better off they are. Lots of movement, swimming and rolling of rib cages.

Thanks Kirislin,

Our puppies have been well fed by their mum. Did your vet suggest a hereditary factor for your babies or simply put it down to the way they were being fed?

Thanks, Baguley

I dont actually know if mine really were swimmers. It wasn't what they were being fed, it was the way I was holding them. I was a complete novice, I had no idea how to hold them and the little buggers would struggle so I held firmly. The vet didn't even believe me when I told her I thought I was causing it, but for me it was proof because as soon as I changed the way I held them they got their proper shape back. They all survived and 6 years later are healthy, the worst one was my very own Feather who went on to be a successful racing whippet.