Charlotte’s Breeding A Bone Of Contention

Teebs

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news...on/1412243.aspx

Charlotte’s breeding a bone of contention

BY BEVAN SHIELDS

21/01/2009 7:43:00 AM

THEY’RE the human and canine faces of tough new laws designed to rid the community of savage animals.

Either way you look at it, a dispute between Orange City Council and Ray Chamberlain, the owner of two-year-old Charlotte, is going to end in tears for someone.

Orange City Council rangers believe Charlotte is a restricted breed of pit bull while Mr Chamberlain maintains his canine companion is a Staffordshire bull terrier, a non-restricted breed.

The only way to end the stalemate is for Charlotte to undergo a breed assessment to determine her future.

If the animal is declared a restricted breed, safety laws require the owner to keep the dog permanently caged or alternatively, destroyed.

When asked if Charlotte had ever been aggressive towards other dogs or people, Mr Chamberlain issued a flat denial.

“No, never, she hasn’t been aggressive to anyone, she likes to play with other dogs, with people and she barks at people she feels are a threat to her property just like any other dog,” Mr Chamberlain said.

“It’s very upsetting, if she had ever done the wrong thing I could understand where council’s coming from but she hasn’t done anything wrong, it’s totally unfair.”

If the breed assessment declares Charlotte is a pit bull Mr Chamberlain said he would rather put the dog down than lock her in a cage for life.

If within 28 days Mr Chamberlain refuses to allow Charlotte to undergo the breed assessment Orange City Council has vowed to, among other measures, issue formal orders he build an enclosure for the dog.

Orange City Council communications and public relations manager Nick Redmond said Charlotte had been the cause of a disturbance in a nearby United Protestant Association retirement village and was a safety concern.

Mr Redmond made no apologies for taking action and said highly qualified council rangers were adamant Charlotte is a pit bull and therefore needs to be controlled under the law.

“These are declared restricted breeds for a reason and when one of these dogs attack someone the injuries are severe,” he said.

I was talking to the owner of this dog a few weeks ago.

I also know the guy who wrote this, i should contact him and ask him to do something to promote these wonderful dogs

*sigh*

Edited by Terrorbull

Im amazed the ranger can dress himself, let alone be qualified to tell what breed is what.

A ranger pulled me up with At one day, questioned me over his breeding and if i knew what i had on the end of the lead. Then made a comment about how bullys are like pittys, i smiled and told him yep, he is so right! both are great dogs and i would never be without a bully... He didnt know what to say to me :laugh:

Edited by Terrorbull

If you ever wanted to be convinced as to the wisdom of only buying an ANKC registered bull breed, this would have to be it.

So much stress, so much anguish for the owner, all totally preventable. :laugh:

Whoever said, "buy in haste, repent at leisure" sure had it right in this context.

EF typing error.

Edited by poodlefan

i THINK the owner got the dog chipped at the RSPCA as a Staffy X or a Mastiff X (sorry, when he got the dog, the "breeder" told him it was one of those breeds, but the rspca then told him no, and chipped it as the other.

I started a thread in here looking for someone to do a Breed ID - This is the same dog.

I was just cleaning up and found this guys number, so if anyone has anything that can help, i can pass it on for you to ring.

If you ever wanted to be convinced as to the wisdom of only buying an ANKC registered bull breed, this would have to be it.

Whoever said, "buy in haste, repent at leisure" sure had it right in this context.

EF typing error.

In a perfect world this may be possible but not everybody wants to spend $1000 to $1800 approx on a dog. :whip:

What then shall we do with the dogs that do not have papers? The rescues and the byb dogs? Should we just pts them all and make people buy from Reg breeders to get the papers.

So much stress, so much anguish for the owner, all totally preventable. :rofl:

EF typing error.

In a perfect world this may be possible but not everybody wants to spend $1000 to $1800 approx on a dog. :laugh:

What then shall we do with the dogs that do not have papers? The rescues and the byb dogs? Should we just pts them all and make people buy from Reg breeders to get the papers.

Just what I was thinking Bully T.

EF typing error.

In a perfect world this may be possible but not everybody wants to spend $1000 to $1800 approx on a dog. :D

In an ideal world, we won't continue to breed vulnerable dogs without papers in BSL States or banned dogs at all. Don't kid yourselves as to who puts these puppies under the gun the day they are born - their breeders do. IMO irresponsible breeding, failure to carefully vet home and lack of understanding of the needs of these dogs contributed to the situation they find themselves in. Why encourage more of the same?

I don't want to see any dog lose its life but while the demand for pups from BYBs continues, the suppliers will continue to produce them. And people who choose to save $$$ by buying a "bargain dog" or a banned breed are lining their pockets.

As for cost? How much will a concrete floored, secure roofed, restricted breed compliant dog run set you back? Buy an unpapered dog potentially subject to BSL and you'd best budget to install one. :D If you don't bother to comply with BSL, how much do you think it will cost for the court actions to save your dog's life (if you're lucky that is). At what price do you value peace of mind for the lifetime of your beloved dog?

As I've said, if you're a hard core restricted breed fancier, there are completely legal ways to breed and own one of these dogs in this country. Surely if you consider yourself to be a dedicated "dog lover" you won't breed, buy or keep a dog in a manner that risks its life every day it breathes. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

ummm

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news...gy/1417577.aspx

Council in dog house but no apology

BY BEVAN SHIELDS

27/01/2009 7:23:00 PM

ORANGE City Council is refusing to apologise despite triggering an embarrassing case of mistaken identity that nearly spelled disaster for Charlotte the two-year-old pooch.

The Central Western Daily last week reported the tale of a dispute between Orange City Council and Charlotte’s distraught owner Ray Chamberlain.

Council rangers were adamant Charlotte was a restricted breed of pit bull, while Mr Chamberlain passionately argued the two-year-old dog was a bull terrier.

Had the mutt been declared a pit bull laws would have required her to be permanently caged or destroyed.

To end the stalemate, Charlotte late last week underwent a breed assessment which, to Mr Chamberlain’s delight, declared the dog a non-restricted breed of American Staffordshire bull terrier.

Orange City Council accepted the findings of the breed assessment after sighting a copy yesterday.

However, communications and public relations manager Nick Redmond said staff made no apologies for taking the matter seriously and maintained Charlotte remains a risk to the community.

“Look, we accept the decision but irrespective of all that keep in mind this is a dog that came to the attention of council when it was on the loose, acting aggressively to residents of an aged care facility and it also tried to bite a ranger,” Mr Redmond said.

Mr Chamberlain said the $50 breed assessment had probably saved the life of his canine companion.

“If council doesn’t want to apologise that’s fine, as long as they don’t come near me again with their false accusations that will suit me,” he said.

Council is yet to determine what action, if any, it will take against Mr Chamberlain for allowing Charlotte loose in public.

ummm

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news...gy/1417577.aspx

Council in dog house but no apology

BY BEVAN SHIELDS

27/01/2009 7:23:00 PM

ORANGE City Council is refusing to apologise despite triggering an embarrassing case of mistaken identity that nearly spelled disaster for Charlotte the two-year-old pooch.

The Central Western Daily last week reported the tale of a dispute between Orange City Council and Charlotte’s distraught owner Ray Chamberlain.

Council rangers were adamant Charlotte was a restricted breed of pit bull, while Mr Chamberlain passionately argued the two-year-old dog was a bull terrier.

Had the mutt been declared a pit bull laws would have required her to be permanently caged or destroyed.

To end the stalemate, Charlotte late last week underwent a breed assessment which, to Mr Chamberlain’s delight, declared the dog a non-restricted breed of American Staffordshire bull terrier.

Orange City Council accepted the findings of the breed assessment after sighting a copy yesterday.

However, communications and public relations manager Nick Redmond said staff made no apologies for taking the matter seriously and maintained Charlotte remains a risk to the community.

“Look, we accept the decision but irrespective of all that keep in mind this is a dog that came to the attention of council when it was on the loose, acting aggressively to residents of an aged care facility and it also tried to bite a ranger,” Mr Redmond said.

Mr Chamberlain said the $50 breed assessment had probably saved the life of his canine companion.

“If council doesn’t want to apologise that’s fine, as long as they don’t come near me again with their false accusations that will suit me,” he said.

Council is yet to determine what action, if any, it will take against Mr Chamberlain for allowing Charlotte loose in public.

Bought as a Pitbull, chipped as a staffy or mastiff cross, argued to be a bull terrier now delcared an American staffordshire bull terrier. :cry:

Just call it a mutt. end of story.

Edited by doit4thedogz

Is there a picture of the dog? I'm curious to see what this bull terrier looks like, Bull terriers are a distinctive breed and dont resemble a Pit Bull at all. It sounds like his council wants to stitch him up one way or another, if they cant get him on having a restricted breed that is not following regulations, they may get him on dangerous dog declaration, the regulations are exactly the same arn't they?

I feel sorry for the bloke, I hope they leave him alone now. If all this bSL stuff is only based on appearances, or I would rather say an illusion, as it seems to be, there would be many breed and X breeds that would be confused, what a god damn joke of a law!.

Edited by RebLT