Staffordshires Cited In 145 Dog Attacks

Just as a side note, looked up RSPCA education in schools. Page has been removed, novelty wore off I guess.

Plently of info on how to adopt a pet and how to care for your pet in the kids section, not a thing about safety.

Hmmmm interesting.......

It's a shame dogs don't come with a warning label, like booster seats and high chairs LOL.

its bullshit those dogs could have been any breed or cross breed.

today at the beach a lady's little dog got attacked. she was telling everyone it was a pitbull. infact it was a bull arab looked nothing like a pitty. theres another one for the pitty tally.

nothing against bullarabs i admire them very much and have also owned one personally, but they are very numerous in qld so how many of these "staffies", amongst all the cross breeds, golden retrievers, wombats and koalas where bull arabs. look magic 145 attacks by staffs.

My Lab has been identified as a bull arab. My IRISH SETTER has been identified as a Weimaraner, a Golden Retriever and a Cocker Spaniel. Just goes to show that the general public have no idea about dog breeds.

Surely, when taking these kinds of statistics, they should include a column for dogs not legally identified by either the owner or someone qualified as "breed not identified?" Otherwise, from a legal point of view - and a statistical point of view - isn't it just like pointing the finger at someone in court and going, "Yep...the mugger looked a bit like that guy."

Or perhaps it's just that those taking down the data don't really care, as long as the "big bad breeds" get the blame. No one is going stand up and admit to being roughed up by a Cocker Spaniel, after all... :thumbsup:

Lady nearby lost her pure-bred Staffy (with papers), Zorro.

She phoned all the Pounds & reported it. Thinking, thank goodness she could tell them, 'pure-bred Staffy' . So ID'ing his breed would be easy peasy.

She kept phoning every day....& the Pounds kept replying....'No purebred Staffy has come in.'

Then one day, one of the Pounds phoned her & said, 'A purebred Staffy has come in.'

She drove like a maniac up to this Pound. Was led to the dog's cage....& it was clearly a Staffy X.

Disappointed, she trudged out & passed cages with dogs in them...where she came face to face with....her Staffy, Zorro.

Turns out he'd been there from the 1st day she phoned. But he'd been ID'd by the Pound, 'Staffy X'.

So the cross had been labelled purebred.....& the purebred labelled cross.

Edited by mita

Sorry OT but did anyone notice there is a poultry attack listed :eek:

Some roosters can cause a huge amount of damage when they attack. They dig their spurs in and rip. Very nasty stuff and not something to laugh at (no matter how funny it sounds). This is why cock fighting exists and why it is so cruel.

Still pretty funny, even chickens can be pretty mean. Granted I doubt they'd cause that kind of damage.

Imagine sitting with mates drinking. "Yeah, got attacked by a chook last week... Was in the hospital for days"

Wrong

I was sitting in a hospital waiting room a few years ago after my son had broken his leg

A lady was rushed through covered in blood looking like she had just gone through a barbed wire fence

We ended up in the same waiting room and she had been attacked by a rooster

She had over 100 stitches

*sigh*

The IDEA of someone being attacked by a rooster is FUNNY.

The damage they cause to someone or the pain they actually inflict is NOT.

I guess thats why when I saw an article in the Sunday Times last week about Staffies being the most popular dog in WA I silently cringed inside. The article also mentioned that they were a great dog for 'anybody'.

When a breed becomes that popular of course the attack 'statistics' will go up - more of the breed around, more people having a general idea of what a 'Staffy' might look like and, since I firmly believe this is not a breed for 'everybody' - (ie, not for people who want a dog they can stick in the backyard, ignore and feed once a day) more untrained, frustrated dogs :laugh:

I live in brissie and yeah when you go out a massive amount of the dogs are staffies just not always purebred but when they do statistics they throw a cross breed in with which ever it looks the closest too. They should have a crossbred section and I bet most attacks would fall in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Uneducated people will always mistakes in identifying the different dog breeds. Espeically with cross breeds it makes it harder for the average joe harder to identify. They just tend to assume that anything with a big head is a staffie. I've had people on the street ask what breed my boy is (pedigree SBT). So lm not surprised by people assuming dogs are breeds that they are not. I'd love to see the stats on the owners of these dogs that have been involved in the dog attacks.

Also SBT tend to attract people that think they look tough due to their muscles.... (studity of people amazes me, Im sure one day l'll no longer be surprised) without them considering whether they are the right dog for them.

Edited by kittycatt

I love my stafy baby to no end

as i did my last

i am however, sick of people telling me what breed she is, with complete ignorance, most labelling her a pitty

I would also like to know contributing factors to these attacks

very young my litle girl had a pomeranian have a go at her, and i know of several children bitten who had provoked the dog to the end of the limits, also of children being left unsupervised with dogs.

this is incredibly iresponsible behaviour of parents.

I have a friend who's rottweiler was put to sleep after it bit a little girl who kept putting sticks in its bum

We had a neutered rooster when i was growing up, he was the size of a god damn cassowary! just about, he was nasty too!

They grow a lot taller when castrated.

So this is YOUR rooster? I was wondering who owned this boy :)

giant%20chicken%20cock.jpg

:( Just about! ours was a capon that someone just decided to live till old age, didnt have the heart to take it to the chopping block, it was very tall with very long legs, reminded me a bit of Bigbird from sesame street :love: .

Sorry OT but did anyone notice there is a poultry attack listed :thumbsup:

no joke. GEESE attack everything and they're pretty scary when a flock circles you hissing and flapping. I once knew someone whose grandfather was killed by a swan.

Edited by sandgrubber