Puppy With Fleas

GoldensRGreat

My 10 week old Golden has picked up fleas, probably from puppy school.

I found them Friday night and bathed her with lavendar and eucalyptus oil drops in the water. Then Saturday morning went and bought some T Tree shampoo and bathed her again yesterday. I did about 12 loads of washing, her bed, my bed, etc etc and have vaccumed the whole house and sprinkled lemon juice all over.

Today, Sunday, they are still there. :):laugh: WE are in for a week of blistering hot weather so I know it will be hard to get rid of them.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow but am loathe to use heavy chemicals or injections to get rid of them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. Please.

If you dont use flea wash they wont go away.

You dont need injections & using some chemicals far out weighs the suffering the dog goes through & the longer you dont treat it quickly the sooner they will set up in your house/yard.

What you have used wont work & infcat many dogs react badly to tea tree oil

In 30 plus years of having dogs i have never found a natural way of controlling them.

If I were you i would be using Advantage. It's safe for puppies and works quickly. I rarely have problems with fleas but on the old occasion i do this usually gets rid of them with only a single application.

good luck

Oh, don't forget to make sure you worm the pup for tapeworm at the next scheduled worming.

When my 9 week old pup arrived from the breeder (yes, a registered breeder) with fleas I had to use Advantage to get rid of them. The pup came to no harm from the treatment and was much more comfortable once they were gone. Like you I would much rather not have used a chemical treatment but couldn't risk them spreading to the yard or my other pets, never had fleas here before. Best to hit them hard and be done with it.

Edited by Diva

A natuaral way to control fleas is by using Apple Cider Viniger which you can get from your supermarket, my dogs get a teaspoon each in their food every night...I have heard great thing about it and so far no fleas on my dog and I have stopped using flea products...

My dogs had fleas a while back and I used advantage, it didnt get rid of the fleas, to get rid of the fleas, the dogs will need a flea rinse to kill the ones the dog has and then start using a preventative method..

Try the Apple Cider Viniger and see if that works...you can also put it in the dogs drinking water too :thumbsup:

If you are concerned about chemicals, try liming your backyard to kill any that have dropped on the lawn and try getting hold of some Diatomaceous earth (food grade) and sprinkle it wherever she lies in the backyard and dust it around skirting boards and other places in the house where they might breed.

This combined with the Advantage should knock them on the head and if you keep up with the DE shouldn't be a problem if she picks up the odd one or two again.

Try using neem shampoo before she goes to puppy training to help prevent fleas from jumping on her in the first place and you might be able to avoid using chemicals too often. The apple cider vinegar is good for coats and other things too, so worth using.

The diatomaceous earth can be given to her every day in her food to eliminate worms and provide extra minerals. Also stops flies from breeding in any dog droppings that you pick up. Also good sprinkled on compost heaps to stop flies breeding.

My 10 week old Golden has picked up fleas, probably from puppy school.

I found them Friday night and bathed her with lavendar and eucalyptus oil drops in the water. Then Saturday morning went and bought some T Tree shampoo and bathed her again yesterday. I did about 12 loads of washing, her bed, my bed, etc etc and have vaccumed the whole house and sprinkled lemon juice all over.

Today, Sunday, they are still there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: WE are in for a week of blistering hot weather so I know it will be hard to get rid of them.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow but am loathe to use heavy chemicals or injections to get rid of them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions. Please.

I'd be looking at your backyard before assuming she is catching fleas from other pups at puppy school. Cats are a very common source of fleas - if they visit your backyard, then its likely that's where your pup is getting them from.

Eucalyptus, lavender oil and tea tree oil while natural, are still chemicals. I think its better to use one treatment that works than to add a range of chemicals that are ineffective.

If you have other pets that can catch fleas, treat all of them at the same time.

Same story as Diva here.. arrived to us from interstate with fleas (again, from a registered breeder).

We washed her in flea rinse to remove what was on there and then gave her a fix of frontline.

She was 8 weeks old, and there were no side effects.. except for no more fleas!!! :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks everyone. I treated her with the Advantage on Monday night and I did give her the right dose. However, she still has fleas on her. Not many, but a few. So I've washed all her bedding again and vaccumed etc.

I think you might be right about the back yard so I will lime tomorrow. Pleading ignorance here but where do I buy the Diatomaceous Earth from. I've searched the internet but can't seem to find a supplier.

I used Advantage on my cats 2 weeks ago so even though it says monthly do you recommend I do them again to align them with puppy's dose?

Can't thank you all enough. I have a huge back yard and she tends to use all of it. We also have 40+ degree days coming up for the next 5 days so I really want to get on top of this before they take over the house. :(

I feel like a new mother again as I thought I knew all this stuff but it's been so long since I've had this problem it's all disappeared into the grey matter and it struggles to work at the best of times. :eek:

We had a presentation at work last week from the Frontline people.

99% of dogs that have fleas have CAT fleas, so I would definately be treating your yard, vacumming all your carpet etc etc.

The difference between Frontline Plus & Advantage are that the frontline " PLUS " also makes the female fleas infertile, so when you get to the end of the monthly dose, MOST of the female fleas cannot reproduce.

Which ever one you use make sure you use it every month other wise you will not break the cycle.

When Miley had fleas I gave her fortnightly doses of that Advantage (? whatever its called) stuff and put a $5 flea collar on her from coles. Worked a treat and she's never had fleas again. We just leave it on all the time except for when she is wet. She hasnt even picked up any from the doggy park.

I have used everything known to man. I recently moved into a new house & all my dogs ended up with fleas. I had a litter of pups & they all ended up with fleas as well. I used frontline spray but still the fleas remained. I also treated bedding, yard, house & even the car. When I took my pups to the vet for their vaccinations the vet actually took pics to give to the frontline rep as my pups were still covered in fleas. :cry: The vet suggested I use Fidos shampoo, a capstar tablet & I also gave them a Sentinel tablet. With my adults dogs I have found that advantage works much better than frontline. Thank heavens we are now flea free again!!! :cry::)

Any dog that comes in here with fleas gets a Fido's Flea Shampoo bath. Then I suggest the owner applies Advantage the following day after washing and cleaning all bedding. I had a rescue in here that was so covered with fleas that I did FOUR flea shampoos then when he was completely dry I put some Advantage on him. He went to sleep and when the transporter came to pick him up his bed was black with dead fleas. Advantage is the ONLY spot on I will sell, too many complaints about Frontline. A flea shampoo will kill live fleas on the dog then the Advantage kills from lavae up, breaking the breeding cycle.

WE are in for a week of blistering hot weather so I know it will be hard to get rid of them.

Actually fleas prefer much milder temperatures and reasonably high humidity so blistering hot weather will actually inhibit their breeding cycle and may even stop it altogether although they will of course commence breeding again immediately conditions become more favourable. Ideal conditions are temperatures between 20 and 30 degrees with 70 to 80% humidity.