Rescue Remedy

I have some rescue rats here at the moment and one of them has a very serious injury on his tail.

As they don't allow us to pick them up much, it has gone fairly undetected until now (it is on the underside of his tail.

I have just given him some rescue remedy to try and zonk him out a bit so I can treat the tail

He unfortunately grabbed the thing as I was administering it and he copped a full dose! (what I usually give myself)

He instantly started to relax and calm, but I am hoping I have not given him too much

he is used to methadone, so I am hoping this will not harm him too much.

these guys don't display much normal behavior, but he seems ok at the moment....

but should I be watching out for adverse reactions? and what should I do if he has any?

he's a beautiful boy who just needs a chance (there are two lovely boys and two boisterous boys looking for homes if people are interested?)

they really need new homes asap........ the little boys are being seriously picked on :thumbsup:

I am a Bach Flower Remedies practioner, and it worries me sometimes when I see how freely some people dispense RR to small pets. What a lot of people don't understand is that giving more (of any Flower remedy) is not necessary as it the frequency with which the patient comes into contact with the remedy that matters, not the quantity used.

That is, if a pet is taking regular sips from a water bowl which has one drop of remedy in it, the vibrational effect is the same as giving say five or six drops, without the added concern of giving a small animal too much brandy. I would certainly NOT be giving a pet rat more than 1 drop in a days supply of water. Rescue Remedy is not a sedative, and is not going to 'zonk' anyone or anything - it will bring the patient into a postive, confident state but if there is any 'zonking' going on, it is the huge dose of alcohol. For the body weight of a pet rat, I imagine a dropper full was quite a hit!!! If you want to stupify your pet, and don't mind using alcohol to do it, go right ahead and use any of the Bach flowers - the brandy in the stock bottles will do the trick.

A far better way to administer RR to such a small pet would be to rub a little (1 drop) on your hands, straight from the stock bottle, and gently stroke the little guys. If they don't like to be touched, just move hour hands as close to them as you can. For fearful animals, pay particular attention to the throat area.

Remember , taking 4, 5 or 6 drops is in no way more effective than taking regular sips of water containing one or two drop, over a longer period. And it also saves you money!!! Your RR will last much longer. :thumbsup:

Have you heard of rat fever?

When the pest control man was here baiting some in the roof (sorry if it upsets you) I asked him if they happend to be running around inside and bit us would we get sick.

His reply...

He knew of a woman who had a pet rat for years, one day while she was feeding it, it accidently nipped her finger and she later came down with rat fever and passed away..

You just reminded me with your rats...

YLD, I cannot help but feel you are having a go at me.. :thumbsup:

I needed this rat calm, and I needed him calm quickly. Rescue Remedy has done it for me in the past, it is what I had on hand.

I have used RR for years, and have often found that it works wonders in calming rats very quickly. Having rescue rats come in lots I find it a godsend. It might not be designed for zonking (this was probably the wrong word to use) but I have found it will calm a skittish rat pretty quickly

My normal way of administering it is to put a drop on their chin - just a drop.

This boy however grabbed the dropper and pulled at the moment I squeezed and it caused me to administer most of it. It was an accident.

I know it is not a sedative per say. I also know that having used it with rats for years with no problems. My naturopath helps me with the animals and dosages.

To be given a lecture on what not to do does not help once something has happened and to undermine the way I care for the rats (which is what your post feels like) does nothing anyways.

If you are so concerned about the way people administer RR to pets, do a post about it and let people know before the fact.

Tiana,

How is your rat this morning? You obviously got a heck of a fright with him.

I'm glad you posted because I am going to be using Rescue Remedy for the first time today & overdosing was one of my concerns.

Hope both you & your little ratty are okay.

Take care,

Liz.

Dear TianaKaeSha - I am so sorry if I upset you - I wouldn't do that intentionally for the world sweetie. Please accept my apology - I don't retract anything I said, but I just dashed it off when I was very tired, and didn't pay enough attention to how it may have sounded. I was cross, but at the sight of "you can't overdose on RR" (which you didn't say). I should have put more smilies (and laughies) in and will go back an edit my post to show them.

I certainly wasn't criticizing you for not being quicker than the little guy who snookered himself a whole dropper full of "the good stuff" - :thumbsup: I'm not a vet and don't know anything about rats, but I would think they a pretty tough and no harm came to him hopefully.

To be given a lecture on what not to do does not help once something has happened and to undermine the way I care for the rats (which is what your post feels like) does nothing anyways.

If you are so concerned about the way people administer RR to pets, do a post about it and let people know before the fact.

Again, I'm so sorry - to be honest, I was not thinking of you at all when Iwrote this (again with the "you can't overdose" bit!!!) My mind was on something I read weeks ago when a chap was posting in General Discussion about his two little Maltese pups keeping him awake, and was given similar advice - give them lots of drops of RR. You are quite right, I should have posted something then but it slippped my mind and only came back to me last night reading your thread. Naughty, naughty Yappy - she shall have no supper tonight :p :(:eek:

Love and grovelling

HAHAHA! no suppa? But Yappy! That sounds too cruel a punishment!

Rats are very resiliant, but I was concerned about a huge dosage LOL. The fact that this rat is a reformed addict :p got me a little worried about how he would handle such a dose.

I am going to start putting it in the water for those boys though because the fights are escalating :thumbsup: I hope it will make them settle a bit.

I've used RR with rats for a long time with travelling to shows etc and have found it is marvellous...

I would still like to read up on RR though (and other Bach Flowers) if you can find the time to post some info on it too.

I use it too and I am careful how much I use.

As you may remember, my cat went strange after I lost my Blue and Puddy so he was put on RR and I now use it on Sammi when she can't cope with something (She hates the wind!! Reduces her to tears!)

I don't think you can give too much as in overdose but I too worry about the alchole content.

I use the liquid and I always give a little bit and if in a couple of hours, it hasn't worked I give alittle more. And I only use it when I need to.

Sammi and the cat have a similar amount - Tex I could give the whole bottle too and he would show no signs of even having it! I tried once as he was giving me the S****, he was having a manic day - did nothing! :thumbsup:

Maybe he was an alcholic in a former life :p

Edited by Ci

Poppy (little terrier X pup) is great with bach flowers - she takes one trop from my hand - I just put a drop there and she licks it up. Very sweet behaviour - just sniffs and delicately laps it up. I used white chestnut with great results to help her stop 'worrying' at her post op sutures.

Tina I have to ask. A rat that is a reformed drug addict? Was some &*(% feeding him drugs? How horrid, at least you are trying to give him a chance.

Bach remedies are great I put my drops in the dogs water bowl after advice from YLD and the best results were on the dog I was not even trying to treat.

Godzilla became a cuddle bunny. :p

post-22-1098941135.jpg

LB - they are ex lab rats used in methadone tests. :p

They have been "clean" for about a month.

They are not permanant residents. They need a home. The young boys might stay, but I really want the others to go to a home where they get more attention (I can only give so much with my lot).

They are 10 months old :p

Glad to hear your rattie is okay.

I can add my own good story about Rescue Remedy. Yesterday we picked up our first ever rescue animals, two very scared Cornish Rex cats. We are using the Rescue Remedy with them & it really does help. It is keeping them a little calmer whilst they get used to us.

Glad to hear it all worked out okay.

I have used RR quite a bit over the years, not all that much with my animals though as i always worried about the alcohol content.

To yappydawg:

Would be it be possible to have a post about what Bach flower remedies you can use for what symptoms etc? I 'd love to read it & save it t o have on hand to refer to OR is there a book we can buy that will cover our furry (and not so furry :) )companions ?