New Puppy

catandgrant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the same situation with being new dog owners and trying to get our boy to sleep at night.

We first tried having him in a box next to the bed on the 1st night... he HATED IT and cried himself to sleep ;) I cut the box lower on the 2nd night so he could see me... he tried to jump out! The 3rd night I gave him a heat pack, helped a little but the jumping was getting worse. On the 4th night he went to his bed inside his pen (we used this as a crate training method in the day) thought we would leave him there for the night and see what happened.... good until about 2am and then he started screaming again :rofl:

By the 5th night I was delirious and sleep deprived from being up all night and the toilet runs :rofl: couldnt string 2 words together! So I slept in the loungeroom on a mattress on the floor with him. Little bugger slept ALL NIGHT :) Meant to only do it until he was a bit more settled but this went on for a whole month!

I told me breeder who suggested a crate next to our bed. I bought one the next day and he LOVES it :rofl: I gave him a pigs ear inside the first day to get him used to it and a Kong that night. Now he goes in every night and straight to sleep! I cant recommend crates highly enough :rofl:

For the day we used (and still use) a puppy pen to keep him safe when we are not home. Works very well, but that said I have never left him alone for more than about 4 hours. I leave a puppy wee pad in there when I know I will be away for more than an hour (and I did it ALL the time when we were house-breaking him)

Cant say I agree with leaving your pup alone outside.. but that's just me.

Hope this helps :)

re: fleas - I'm using sentinal spectrum along with advantage. The sentinal renders the fleas infertile so they won't breed endless cycles of flealets :thumbsup: Not sure if it works as he's only just had one dose. Others might know. Also, make sure pup isnt around when the spraying gets done :thumbsup:

Catandgrant and dogon

We have used sentinel spectrum for about 2 years. I thought it was great as it does everything in one but our boy continued to look like he was being bitten he would randomly twitch and start biting parts of his body. I spoke to the vet and she said that while s.s is very good it doesnt actually stop the fleas bting but as you said it renders them infertile when they do bite. Although s.s was cheaper I have decided to go with interceptor spectrum for gut and heartworm and advantix for fleas and ticks. Its supposed to repel and kill them before they bite. Ive only just started but so far so good and a lot less random twitching from my dog.

I buy mine online from priceless pets. One of the cheapest prices around and I normally recieve the order the next day. Their website doesnt say they stock the 0-4kg range (as I have a pup aswell) but they do you just have to ask. Both dogs are on both now.

I also bombed the house and things have been much improved since then also.

Hope this helps.

Casper does that also. He randomly bites at his legs usually. Whenever he does that i inspect him and still cannot see any fleas.

I was wondering if its just a biting thing though? Could it just be beacuse he is a puppy and wants to bite everything in site? Thats what i was thinking it was but as i have no idea about this stuff I am not sure!

Hi Catandgrant

My dog Max (poodle/maltese cross, 21 weeks) bites his legs and feet a fair bit. Not a flea in sight on him and never has been. I use Frontline Plus every 2 weeks at the moment, because I'm scared stiff of paralysis ticks!

Our last family dog, a poodle, used to bite and lick his feet ALL the time. The vet said it was boredom! He stopped doing it as much as he got older.

With Max, it seems to be something he does when he's 'relaxing' or calming down from a big play session. I don't think there's anything for you to worry about. If you can't see any fleas or flea dirt and are using a flea treatment, Caspar should be fine.

Hi again,

Two more questions if thats ok ;)

I have been having trouble finding a food that Casper likes. He doesnt like dry food. I have tried adding a bit of warm water to soften it a bit but he doesnt like this. I have seen on other forums that you can feed them a lot of varieties of foods.

Is he too young for chicken necks? If he isnt do i just give them to him the way they are?

What about raw meats like mince etc?

I'm so scared im going to give him the wrong thing or something that will make him sick!

And the other question. What the best command to get him to release something. Yesterday i had a tug of war trying the get his leash out of his mouth! He ended up growling which suprised me. He just would not give it up. I ended up having to yank it out. Not good i know!

Any suggestions?

Casper does that also. He randomly bites at his legs usually. Whenever he does that i inspect him and still cannot see any fleas.

I was wondering if its just a biting thing though? Could it just be beacuse he is a puppy and wants to bite everything in site? Thats what i was thinking it was but as i have no idea about this stuff I am not sure!

Our new puppy doesnt seem to do it at all and our older boy we got when he was 2.5 yrs so I dont think for him it was a puppy thing. Perhaps it could have been boredom which is partly why we got the new pup. Maybe hes too busy dealing with the pup hanging from his tail to think about biting or licking himself ;)

I just liked the idea of a product repelling fleas and ticks before they bite. It just looked so much like he was being bitten. Our vet also told us that people bring fleas into the house so sometimes it has nothing to do with the dog but the fleas end up finding them anyway. poor things.

Hi again,

Two more questions if thats ok ;)

I have been having trouble finding a food that Casper likes. He doesnt like dry food. I have tried adding a bit of warm water to soften it a bit but he doesnt like this. I have seen on other forums that you can feed them a lot of varieties of foods.

Is he too young for chicken necks? If he isnt do i just give them to him the way they are?

I'm so scared im going to give him the wrong thing or something that will make him sick!

And the other question. What the best command to get him to release something. Yesterday i had a tug of war trying the get his leash out of his mouth! He ended up growling which suprised me. He just would not give it up. I ended up having to yank it out. Not good i know!

Any suggestions?

Yes, talk to your pup's breeder. Many of these questions are ones your breeder can help with and they'd probably be only too pleased to help you.

Don't soak his food - it makes it mush and starts it deteriorating. If you are feeding a decent quality kibble, then put it down, leave it for 5 minutes and pick it up until the next feed - don't let him graze. He won't deliberately starve himself.

Where are you? It's bloody hot most places and a lot of dogs have decreased appetites.

If you are going to try to feed a home made diet, please do your homework. A growing pup needs a careful balance of nutrients and if you get it wrong he'll pay for it permanently. It's not rocket science but you do need to think it through.

Most kibble feeders seem to really like Royal Canin. Chicken necks can be fed too but they alone won't be sufficient to provide the nutrients your pup needs.

I suggest you find a good dog club or trainer and start classes ASAP. A pup can be taught to "give" but how you do it will determine your success. Tugging and growling may be play but unless someone saw your pup, they couldn't say for sure.

Edited by poodlefan

You could try adding something to his kibble to make it more tasty. Maybe try mixing in one sardine. Lots of people feed raw and have success with it, but it doesn't agree with every dog. If you

want to try something new, give it in small doses. I'd also watch him with the chicken neck, even give it frozen and see how he goes. Supervise, as I've heard many good and bad experiences from

chicken necks. I agree with Poodlefan re the heat decreasing appetite, and your breeder will certainly be able to advise you.

I agree with the feeding-- give him his food.

leave him with it undisturbed for 10 minutes.

pick it up... put it away.. NO TREATS or anything til next meal.

Also - do a search on DOL for BARF... and read up on the way to feed meat/bones etc.. :thumbsup:

Don't play tug with your puppy...

at least until you and he trust each other enough to calmly exchange toys/bones!!

When our pups are babies.. 4- 8 weeks...and have a toy/bone, we encourage them to show us.. lots of praise and pats :rofl: then we calmly take the object, with much praise and no hesitation. we admire it, and give it straight back... along with a small food treat . That way- showing the human a toy/bone, has no anxiety... they KNOW they will get their treasure and/or a treat back :(

This continues thru life then.... and there's no running around after stolen objects- no posessivness...

Must admit- I have never played 'tug' with any of my dogs. Don't see the need for it :p

When our pups are babies.. 4- 8 weeks...and have a toy/bone, we encourage them to show us.. lots of praise and pats :cheer: then we calmly take the object, with much praise and no hesitation. we admire it, and give it straight back... along with a small food treat . That way- showing the human a toy/bone, has no anxiety... they KNOW they will get their treasure and/or a treat back :laugh:

Persephone, would this work with a much older puppy? Max, my 21 week old, tends to hide from me when he's got something in his mouth and I call him. 80% of the time it's something he's allowed to have, but then there's the other 20%. I'd like to not have to chase him and drag him out from his hiding spot when I want him to give me whatever he's got. Would this approach with toys/bones swapped for treats etc. work in reassuring Max that it's not a bad thing to give up whatever's in his mouth?

Thank you!

Dylan likes Optimum puppy (took me a while to find it, my breeder recommended it) and apparently Advance Puppy is also good. I give him a handful of biscuits and some VIP puppy roll (the chicken and rice one) and he really likes that, sometimes mixed with a little water. He prefers the meat but will eat the biscuits along with it.

In terms of releasing commands, "leave" works ok for me if you say it with conviction, and growling at him also works if that doesn't! He is very keen on following me around the house trying to bite the bottom of my trousers - a hilarious game (!) that I'm encouraging him to quit before he hurts himself!

Do you keep Casper awake in the evening and does that help him sleep through the night? I kept Dylan awake yesterday til about 930pm and then put him to bed, he was up at 11pm and impossible to settle and made a right racket... so much for my "tire him out" theory - is he just getting his routine sorted or can I help him along?!

I feel for puppy too, you sound like your trying to do your best for him, but hes by himself all day and hes going to be by himself all night? An strictly an outdoor dog, so when he gets older he'll by again by himself while you are at work, and locked outside when your home at night.

I think dogs are part of the family and should be treated as such, i have no problems with them outside while your at work if there is no doggy door, but locked out all night at well by himself? How boring and lonely for him.

You may change your mind when you see his little personality developing and you start to enjoy spending time with him and realise he is his own little character and that dogs pine for companionship to. If you want him outdoors only then maybe you should by him a friend so hes got another little dog to keep him company. I only know of one dog that was strictly outdoors by himself, what a sad dog that was, forgotten about and given away at 9months due to behaviour issues.

Is there a reason he is to be outdoors only? Smell? Dirty paws? Just because that's how dogs should be?? Im just curious as to why, and take into account when hes sick, bad weather in winter and temps in summer, he'll need to (hopefully) be indoors in come situations.

Anyway take care of your little puppy, he has feelings too.

catandgrant,

Please be very careful if you are keeping your baby puppy outside in this heat.

Puppies/dogs can get heat stress very easily and can die quickly if dehydrated. Make sure he has plenty of water bowls in case he knocks one (or more) over.

Hi again,

Two more questions if thats ok :)

Any suggestions?

As others have said, I would just put down the food, and if he doesn't eat it, you take it back till next feeding... If you keep on trying different things, your puppy will become a very fussy eater, indeed...

Yes, you can feed raw chicken wings and necks... You can feed those from as soon as they start chewing.

Never give him cooked bones, chocolate, avocado, onions etc...

Teaching him to give something up to you, have a very valuable treat in your hand (such as cooked chicken, sausage, cheese). When he drops the item for the treat, say 'drop it' or 'leave' and give him the treat... It'll take a while for him to get the cue... In fact, the first few times I wouldn't use the cue, just heaps of praise...

If he refuses to swap, keep the treat and turn you back (no more interaction)