Kennel Cough Symptoms

Rhi

Hi could anyone help me please,

I picked Sable up from his normal boarding kennel last Wednesday by Friday I had noticed his nose is really runny (clear) and he was snorting regularly. Last night he started snorting backwards and rubbing his nose. His eyes are clear and normal and he doesn't look lethargic or unwell in any other way.

Could it be a symptom of Kennel cough? I also thought it could be a cold (it's been really hot here in Adelaide, he's been inside most of the time but outside sometimes too ie the switching from hot to cool)

I haven't taken him to the vet yet because he doesn't handle the vets well and I would have to sedate him in order to go. I just want to get other peoples opinions.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds more like something's simply irritating his nose. Could be dust; grass particles and such like. Especially with the weather so dry ... it's turning so many things to dust. (Particularly Adelaide ... add to that the fires you've had etc.)

Keep an eye on it though, as it could also represent as a grass seed up his nose and that sort of thing requires to be removed by a Vet. So if he keeps sneezing/snorting frequently over the next day or so, a trip to the Vet might be in order.

Runny nose (clear) is not something by itself I'd be too concerned about, so long as it wasn't overly excessive. A DOLer here (can't remember who) said to put your flat of hand against the dog's nose (don't smother) for a moment - I do this and it does work to stop the backward sneezing 'fits' they seem to sometimes have.

What you describe doesn't sound like Canine Cough to me. If it did though, IMO a trip to the Vet isn't necessary unless there is a temp or your dog is indicating secondary complications. My youngster had a bout of Canine Cough. I kept him in and quiet and dosed him up regularly and frequently with Active Manuka Honey (which boosts the immune system as well as soothed his sore throat and eased the cough). The cough stopped inside 24 hours and he was as good as gold inside 48 hours. Still, I kept him confined to the house and yard without too much overly active exercise for some time beyond that so that his body had time to fully recuperate and also so that we weren't spreading it around to others. If his signs of cough had not diminished fairly rapidly, then I would have had him to the Vet.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to give him doses of AMH now. Just in case. Keep an eye on him and avoid stressful activity for the moment.

Edited by Erny

When Heidi got Kennel cough, it started out as just a little tiny cough. Barely enough to call it a cough at all. But I noticed that she was doing it in her sleep as well, and after exercise. I ended up

taking her to the vet cause it was a day before new years and I didn't want to get stuck on a public hol trying to find a vet. We were lucky we went, because my friends dog was at the vet under

sedation due to kennel cough, and she was in a terrible way. In fact, she's only just coming good this last week. We all had visited the same dog park, and lots of dogs caught it. If it is, the

manuka honey is suppose to be fantastic. But I tend to agree with Erny above re the irritation. Can you get a mobile vet to visit?. These are often no more expensive than if you took the dog

yourself to the vet. A lot less stressful for the animals who take a dislike to these situations.

Edited by vjb

It must always remembered that "kennel cough" isn't one virus, but a bunch of viruses lumped together by a couple words. There are many strains, and the disease landscape is always changing. Some strains are best untreated, though the vet may be happy to take your money for some antibiotics that don't work. Others may give way to bacterial infections that respond well to treatment. Some last three days. Some go on for months.

It is possible that your dog has a virus, but the symptoms are not classic "kennel cough".

Thanks Erny,

At the moment I'm not too concerned and he's not distressed about it, will definitely keep a close eye on him though and buy some honey on my way home.

Cheers

Rhi

If you can, try to get the Active Manuka Honey from a health food shop. Some supermarkets might sell it, but I'm not so sure it would be the quality stuff. It can be pricey, but IMO well worth it. I always have a jar of it in the pantry. It lasts forever (as in storage) and I use it for myself either when I think a cold or sore throat is coming on; digestive upset; or just feeling a little 'off'. I use it the same with my dogs. If I expect my dog has to undergo anything that might be stressful, I dose him up beforehand, just to give his system that extra boost. And we both love it :thumbsup:. Yum. :laugh:.

VJB ... hope your friend's dog is ok. Sounds to me as though secondary complications set in. I've not heard of dogs being put under sedation for Cough though, nor for secondary complications. But that's only my experience.

My little Foxie has Kennel Cough, she was only snorting alot in the mornings :thumbsup: , I haven't even heard a cough out of her. I took her off to the vet and yep it was kennel cough. :laugh:

When my two bigger dogs had it a couple of years ago they had the cough, no snorting.

After my experience with my little girl I'd say it's kennel cough. Hope this helps and Sable is better soon.

Thanks Erny,

At the moment I'm not too concerned and he's not distressed about it, will definitely keep a close eye on him though and buy some honey on my way home.

Cheers

Rhi

If you can, try to get the Active Manuka Honey from a health food shop. Some supermarkets might sell it, but I'm not so sure it would be the quality stuff. It can be pricey, but IMO well worth it. I always have a jar of it in the pantry. It lasts forever (as in storage) and I use it for myself either when I think a cold or sore throat is coming on; digestive upset; or just feeling a little 'off'. I use it the same with my dogs. If I expect my dog has to undergo anything that might be stressful, I dose him up beforehand, just to give his system that extra boost. And we both love it :thumbsup:. Yum. :laugh:.

VJB ... hope your friend's dog is ok. Sounds to me as though secondary complications set in. I've not heard of dogs being put under sedation for Cough though, nor for secondary complications. But that's only my experience.

Yep, no worries. I'll go to the health food shop in my break. He is going to think all his Christmas's have come at once with such an awesome treat!

Edited by Rhi

Do you mix the honey with water? What's the right dosage?

Sometimes (eg. once or twice a day, depending on the heat factor and whether I feel my dog needs more hydration) I will mix it with water. But only use a small amount of water (the quantity you would want your dog to drink in one go) as you'll find your dog will love it and will drink for the taste rather than because he needs all that water. I made the mistake of mixing it in too much water one time and it caused my dog to pee a lot and frequently .... not great when you're house training!!! :rofl:. I wouldn't give it in water directly before bed time for this reason :rofl:. My boy enjoys licking it off his (own) spoon in between times.

When my boy was showing the coughing symptom and sore throat, I dosed (good sized teaspoon at a time) about 3 times a day. Maybe an extra one here and there to ease the cough itself, if it started up. That was only for the first couple of days. Even though his symptoms (coughing/sore throat) disappeared inside 24 hours, I dosed him 2 x daily pretty much for the rest of the week.

Edited by Erny

Sometimes (eg. once or twice a day, depending on the heat factor and whether I feel my dog needs more hydration) I will mix it with water. But only use a small amount of water (the quantity you would want your dog to drink in one go) as you'll find your dog will love it and will drink for the taste rather than because he needs all that water. I made the mistake of mixing it in too much water one time and it caused my dog to pee a lot and frequently .... not great when you're house training!!! :thumbsup:. I wouldn't give it in water directly before bed time for this reason :p. My boy enjoys licking it off his (own) spoon in between times.

When my boy was showing the coughing symptom and sore throat, I dosed (good sized teaspoon at a time) about 3 times a day. Maybe an extra one here and there to ease the cough itself, if it started up. That was only for the first couple of days. Even though his symptoms (coughing/sore throat) disappeared inside 24 hours, I dosed him 2 x daily pretty much for the rest of the week.

Thanks Erny. I'll go and get some.

Sometimes (eg. once or twice a day, depending on the heat factor and whether I feel my dog needs more hydration) I will mix it with water. But only use a small amount of water (the quantity you would want your dog to drink in one go) as you'll find your dog will love it and will drink for the taste rather than because he needs all that water. I made the mistake of mixing it in too much water one time and it caused my dog to pee a lot and frequently .... not great when you're house training!!! :thumbsup:. I wouldn't give it in water directly before bed time for this reason :p. My boy enjoys licking it off his (own) spoon in between times.

Thanks Erny. I'll go and get some.

I got some in my break earlier $25 for 250g, with UMF15+. Expiry date 2013.

KC symptoms can vary greatly. Whilst some dogs will only get a runny nose, others will get snotty noses and then others will get the full blown KC with the snotty noses & coughing.

If your dog is 'goose honking' (backwards snorting) put your fingers in thier mouth to make them breath through their mouth instead of their nose.

Unless they are really sick then a vet can't really do anything for them. If they are really sick then antibiotics may be prescribed.

Kaos gets Canine cough every year :rofl: 3 times last year :rofl: :rofl: it was really bad in Orange last winter.

Depending on how bad she gets it, she gets a snotty nose, and a hacking cough. I just keep her at home, the only time i took her to the vet was when she lost a heap of weight (this is a dog who is hard to keep weight on at the best of times!)

Good luck :rofl:

I ran the Kennel and they haven't had any other dogs coming down with symptoms. If it's not clearing up by the weekend I'll get a vet to check for a grass seed.

He LOVES the honey mixture.

Thanks everyone for your help.