Neutering - Cost Of

maximum

I cant remember now what mine cost, but no where near that! I would also be mad if the vet told me the dog would be staying over night (can understand if there was a problem, but as a standard thing? hell no!)

wow they sure are working ways to bleed people dry these days arent they?

over night, metacam, etc geez all the dogs we desexed got their shot of meloxicam and bounced out of there happy. Bucket collars on the ones that needed it and in nearly 12 months only 1 dog needed restitching (male rottweiler)

Time to shop around a little more

These "optional" extra's really get up my goat. If dogs need pain relief or IV fluids as part of a routine spay/neuter, than incoporate it into the price quoted.

I've heard vets say to clients " would you like Fido to be administered with pain relieving medication ? it's an extra $$$", it's a guilt trip and a money making spin on the part of the vet.

Hence why I like my vet, one straight price quoted, no "optional" extras, get in get the job done and the dog goes home. BTW they are a teaching hospital for the Uni of NSW, so hopefully the students visiting will learn a thing or two from them.

These "optional" extra's really get up my goat. If dogs need pain relief or IV fluids as part of a routine spay/neuter, than incoporate it into the price quoted.

I've heard vets say to clients " would you like Fido to be administered with pain relieving medication ? it's an extra $$$", it's a guilt trip and a money making spin on the part of the vet.

Hence why I like my vet, one straight price quoted, no "optional" extras, get in get the job done and the dog goes home. BTW they are a teaching hospital for the Uni of NSW, so hopefully the students visiting will learn a thing or two from them.

I agree with you. My first vet did that.

My second vet (now permanent vet) quoted less than the initial vet and when I asked "What about pain relief and IV!" he simply told me it was included and all dogs get it unless the owners opt out. I was a happy camper.

Our desexings include an injection of long acting antibiotic and pain relief included in the cost. That is the price you are quoted. When they are dropped off they have a quick check over and then IF there are immature teeth that need removing or umbilical hernia's, floppy dew claws, etc it is discussed as is the additional price. If you want pre -aneasthetic screens or fluids(or if it is recommended) then all that is discussed as well.

Some strange things go on by the sounds.

Although have heard of a vet hosp that advertises vaccinations at half the price of the other place, but literally that is all it is. If you ask a question a consult is slapped on and it costs the same as the other place.

Hello Everyone and thank you ALL very much for your advice.

I've decided to keep Max at his current vet (Ku-Ring-Gai Animal Hospital) for the desexing - that's the $252.50 +++. I'm then going to move him to North Shore Animal Hospital in Crows Nest.

You're all correct that the area in which I live is largely responsible for the high cost of veterinary care. Unfortunately, I don't feel right about seeing a vet on a regular basis that isn't close to my home, because if there is an emergency I don't want to have to travel far with the animal in question. I grew up in the Ku-Ring-Gai area and my family has been taking animals to that vet for nearly 30 years. They are a fabulous, caring vet, but simply too far away in an emergency.

I've occasionally taken my cats to North Shore Animal Hospital and they've always been wonderful. Additionally, I use a pet minding service run by a lady who used to be a vet nurse there. She's always telling me how good the vets are!

So, that's what I'm going to do - basically, suck it up and wear the fact that my place of residence means high cost vet care! *LOL*

Thank you all again for your advice.

Cheers

Annie

quote]

What part of metro sydney are you in?

$400 does seem excessive. An overnight stay should NOT be compulsory either!! I imagine that would be more distressing for the dog if anything...

If a cheaper, crappy anesthestic is used the animals don't recover as quickly so need to stay in overnight. IMO a good vet will be one that does surgeries in the morning and consults in the afternoon, that way all animals that had surgery have time to recover by the afternoon for thier owners to pick them up.

If a cheaper, crappy anesthestic is used the animals don't recover as quickly so need to stay in overnight. IMO a good vet will be one that does surgeries in the morning and consults in the afternoon, that way all animals that had surgery have time to recover by the afternoon for thier owners to pick them up.

What a load of $#%^. We keep our patients in overnight and we certainly do not use the 'cheaper, crappy anaesthetic'. Our patients are all pre-medicated to ensure they wake up slowly and peacefully. Isoflurane is the standard anaesthetic used in what I would say, nearly all clinics. In regards to what they are induced with, there is no such thing as a crappy induction agent, just a crappy anaesthetist. Go listen to some of the anesthesiologists lecture and they'll tell you the same thing.

The overnight stay has nothing to do with what anaesthetic is used. It's a choice the vets make based on what they feel is best for the animal. In my vets opinion, they prefer them to sleep it off quietly and without any excitement, thus reducing the risk of them damaging their wound. It is not distressing for our patients as they are groggy from the pain relief and are quite happy to sleep it off quietly. \

We consult mornings and afternoons and do surgeries in the middle of the day. Packs need to be sterilised and patients need time to be admitted. Plus there are pets that need to be seen to in the mornings and cannot wait till the afternoon.

Edited by stormie

What a load of $#%^. We keep our patients in overnight and we certainly do not use the 'cheaper, crappy anaesthetic'. Our patients are all pre-medicated to ensure they wake up slowly and peacefully. Isoflurane is the standard anaesthetic used in what I would say, nearly all clinics. In regards to what they are induced with, there is no such thing as a crappy induction agent, just a crappy anaesthetist. Go listen to some of the anesthesiologists lecture and they'll tell you the same thing.

The overnight stay has nothing to do with what anaesthetic is used. It's a choice the vets make based on what they feel is best for the animal. In my vets opinion, they prefer them to sleep it off quietly and without any excitement, thus reducing the risk of them damaging their wound. It is not distressing for our patients as they are groggy from the pain relief and are quite happy to sleep it off quietly. \

We consult mornings and afternoons and do surgeries in the middle of the day. Packs need to be sterilised and patients need time to be admitted. Plus there are pets that need to be seen to in the mornings and cannot wait till the afternoon.

i was told this by a vet so merly saying what he said. To me, that made sense.... Why would they say this if it wasn't true then? He is a vet that has been practising for years...

The recovery time part is true - they can take longer to recover from halothane than isoflurane. I think most vets use iso now as standard, but some may still use halothane.

The keeping overnight, depends on the vet. They should be a certain amount over the anaesthetic and not too wobbly before going home. Some vets may keep overnight as standard regardless of anaesthetic used. I don't think they meant that only vets who use slower metabolising anaesthetic keep them overnight. My current vet they can come home same day for castrate, haven't had a spey done there yet, I could call if people really want to know.

i was told this by a vet so merly saying what he said. To me, that made sense.... Why would they say this if it wasn't true then? He is a vet that has been practising for years...

The ironic thing is though, that its the 'good' anaesthetics/premeds and pain relief drugs which have them wake up slowly and gently. I just don't think it's right to imply that vets that are keeping their patients in overnight are using crappy anaesthetics.

How a dog recovers varies a lot on the dog. I've seen dogs wake up without pain relief really nicely. I've also seen dogs wake up with with premeds and hard core pain relief, screaming and rolling around. I've seen an animal take 3 days to wake up from what you might describe a 'good expensive anaesthetic', because the person giving it gave too much. As I said before, how good an anaesthetic is, isn't just about what chemical it is. It's about how much they were given, how long they were under, what induction was used etc etc etc...

I just read the DOL thread on cost of dog neutering. I'm in shock! *LOL*

My vet quoted me a fee of just under $400, providing Max doesn't have an undescended testicle or any other problems. Reading the thread has shown me that that's a pretty high cost! Particularly for a male...And also, the place I bought Max from gave me a discount certificate for desexing for this particular vet. So, the just under $400 is including a discount!

The vet also said Max would have to be in overnight. I've had many animals desexed and have never had this happen before, when there were no complications from surgery. I'm also guessing that this is partly the reason for high cost!

While I agree that the animal's health is of utmost importance, I had planned to switch vets after neutering Max anyway. The vet I'm currently taking him to is a loooong way from where I live - it's in the area I grew up, near the pet shop I purchased Max from. I'll be moving him to a vet much closer to home.

Does anyone know of a GOOD vet clinic in the Sydney metro area that has more reasonable rates?

Please don't get me wrong - I'll pay anything when it comes to my animals' health. I just don't want to get ripped off for a standard procedure that seems to be done for MUCH less money elsewhere.

I paid $195 for Ben and that included micro chipping...

Have always known vets to do surgery around lunch time to early afternoon. They consult either side of surgery.

I have used a few vets over the time and all speys and castrations have come home on the same day.

Just had a little puggies girl hernia repaired yesterday. Picked her up and yes she was groggy but after a nights sleep she is back to normal.