Possessiveness With Toys

FB Rescue_Adoption

Thought I'd ask if anyone else is having this issue with their little lovable monsters out there.

Max (aka little monster) always has to 'crack it' whenever he notices Stella playing with a toy...any toy...it doesn't matter...what she has ..he wants! :rofl:

If I don't intervene it escalates into a frenzied scrap as a result lately around here there have been no games with balls or toys or ropes or anything which is sad for her when she brings me her toys and looks at me as if to say 'wanna play'?

Sometimes I've resorted to putting him inside while I play with her down the back in peace! Anyone have any suggestions on how to better handle this kind of thing? :rofl:

He's getting desexed tomorrow (5.5 mths) so I'm hoping this might settle down some of these possessive tendencies?

Desexing is unlikely to change it. You need to step in and repremand him, you also need to control the resources he finds so valuable i.e. don't leave toys laying around, he gets toys when you give them to him and he gives them up when you take them away.

Can you tether him in the area you're playing with the other dog so you won't be harassed and can correct him i.e. verbal repremand, go to him, tell him to sit and keep repeating this until he does it and then praise.

You didn't mention anything about repremanding your puppy, does this mean you do not?

Sorry to say but when your dog brings you toys to play with you should really be ignoring them, this is your dog demanding something of you.....you do everything on your terms, perhaps you would like to look into a program called NILIF = Nothing in life is free.

thanks, I'll look into this NILIF program.. Max gets reprimanded each time he displays this kind of behaviour so he knows it's not appropriate, the difference is...other times he is reprimanded for doing the wrong thing, he 'gets it' and over time and with consistency he improves yet, when it comes to this particular issue - he tends to dig his heels in so to speak and refuse to co-operate which is why I thought I'd ask about it in this forum.

Lately, I've been separating them to play with them so that I can prevent their 'arguments' but I don't think I'm addressing the problem and working out a way to help him understand how to play more appropriately.

thanks for your thoughts on this.. I'll keep searching for a solution that might help to rectify in the longer term

I see this behaviour in my grand children, because the oldest is NOT allowed to be the boss... Like, if he/she has something, and the little one wants it... the little one starts screaming, parents can't handle the noise, and the little one gets whatever he/she wanted... Puppies are quite clever, too... :)