"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

Great thread!

We have used RC Large Dog & the Vege Protein one for the ridgie and Optimum for the kelpie, but I got tired of having different dry food everywhere so we wanted to find one food that they would both do well on. The ridgie has protein intelerances/allergies?, so it couldnt be beef or chicken or roo based. I found a WA made, lamb based dry food at the same place I got my RC from, so made the switch and YAY, we had success. Both dogs do really well on it, with raw lamb, chicken wings/frames, fish and veges added.

But the company have now upped the price, so its no cheaper for me than RC or any other super premium brands :rainbowbridge:

I would love to try another brand - Bonnie or Coprice, but am worried that the ridgie will react badly.

Do any of the big companies make a dry food that is lamb based, available in WA and not over the top in price?

Rat

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. Great post. Been searching for something i can get in bulk thats cheaper than the mainstream products. Was going to get a great barko as suggested but the price seemed pretty much the same as pedigree ($40 for 20kg) so i decided to just try Woofbix at bigw (since they do allow returns if you arent satisfied).

Actually went very well.

I've fed my dog Aldi dry food before and he's not very keen. Havent tried homebrand,woolies or coles brand but woofbix really is just as good as pedigree as i see it. has the essential vitamins, no food colouring or sugar(i think most have like pedigree) and looks/smells the same to me :thumbsup:

anyway my dog went through it like any other expensive brand. eats it up everytime (note he's quite picky on the cheap stuff)

Some of you should try it. Maybe its even rebranded which is why so cheap

I've heard Woofbix is pretty good, a lot of the breeders on the Ozshow list seem to use it. I use Uncle Albers, which is made by the same company as The Great Barko. It's $30 for 22kg and the first three ingredients are meat, chicken and fish. I've noticed a huge improvement in my dogs coats since switching to it, even though they'd only get kibble once or twice a week.

What are the first ingredients on the Woofbix bag?

I've heard Woofbix is pretty good, a lot of the breeders on the Ozshow list seem to use it. I use Uncle Albers, which is made by the same company as The Great Barko. It's $30 for 22kg and the first three ingredients are meat, chicken and fish. I've noticed a huge improvement in my dogs coats since switching to it, even though they'd only get kibble once or twice a week.

What are the first ingredients on the Woofbix bag?

Its exclusive to Big W, full of cereal, smells like cardboard :rofl:

hey with the great barko and uncle albers what are the dogs stools like as i cant stand messy loose stools? are they still firm?, my dog is on pro plan but if this food is good and cheaper this would be great?

The best dried food I've bought is very good quality but reasonably priced. It is from www.pricelesspets.com.au and the only dried food they sell.

Its about $70 or so for 15kgs, no additives and small, flattish, easy to eat biscuits. I've never come across a dog that hasn't loved it and that's saying something (I've had over 50 foster dogs!).

I use the cheapest sardines in a pack of three from Woolworths, costs $1.60 for three. Also use no frills tuna. All in spring water only.

Sweet potato (cooked) and basmati rice are also good to add in - don't need a freezer for any of these options!

im yet to find sardines in spring water, except for the expesive brand ones, ive looked everywere for the no brand in spring waters at alot of stores an no luck

so untill then i just get them in tomato and wash the tomato off

ive read throught this, and there is NO one brand of cheap food that is the best, which i understand since every dog is diffrent

i was using advance puppy plus, but she wouldnet eat it, so for $10 extra a bag i got inova evo small bites

her stools were really small on the inova eva and she loved it, im not yet able to tell if a dog is doing "good" on a brand of food ect, everything i feed her stools have been firm ect,

after running out of the inova and having not been able to get to the shops i got a 1.5 kilo bag of the pedigree untill i got to the shops, she loves it, but i dont know if shes doing well on it,

this bonnie sounds good is it avalibe in NSW? i feed alot of raw but like to have kibble aswell

I tried Bonnie with one of the worlds fussiest dogs, a whippet and she scoffs it down no problem. Really cheap too - unfortunately I noted her skin allergy got worse but her coat looked good and it put a little weight on my pup who just seems to be a skeleton no matter how much I feed.

Have been using Vitalife by Petco - AUSTRALIAN MADE OWNED etc. really good quality and the dogs will eat it dry - OMG. No preservatives, no rice, main ingrediant is Roo meal.

Unfortunately the local pet food place isn't stocking it any longer so contemplating going to a raw diet with Vets all natural - they really love this stuff.

They are only a little bit spoilt

BIG THUMBS UP FOR BONNIE - complete and puppy

I use Uncle Albers, which is made by the same company as The Great Barko. It's $30 for 22kg and the first three ingredients are meat, chicken and fish.

Only $30!!? If i could get it that cheap i'd buy it.. I got quotes from sorta nearby specialty dog stores and they quoted $40 for 22kg.. I'm in queensland Brisbane. If you know a place please let me know!!!

Woofbix won't be as high quality as great barko. But its much the same as pedigree and < as I'd reckon

Hey APDT you should try ALDI, they got lots of tuna in springwater and brine etc. bulk and cheap too. not sure about sardines though. but tuna is better to me

Edited by bossy bumz

I use Uncle Albers, which is made by the same company as The Great Barko. It's $30 for 22kg and the first three ingredients are meat, chicken and fish.

Only $30!!? If i could get it that cheap i'd buy it.. I got quotes from sorta nearby specialty dog stores and they quoted $40 for 22kg.. I'm in queensland Brisbane. If you know a place please let me know!!!

Woofbix won't be as high quality as great barko. But its much the same as pedigree and < as I'd reckon

Hey APDT you should try ALDI, they got lots of tuna in springwater and brine etc. bulk and cheap too. not sure about sardines though. but tuna is better to me

cheers, ive got there sardines before, il try the tuna next time

Bonnie Working Dog for my dogs, two greyhounds and a staffy cross, plus various fosters. My dogs do well on it, however sometimes when I have had a foster come in in very poor condition they won't put on weight if fed the Working Dog kibble alone (as you would expect).

why spring water? The oils are really good for them. As long as there's not a lot of processed fats in their diet, I drain most of the oil, but leave a little when I feed sardines or tuna.

hey with the great barko and uncle albers what are the dogs stools like as i cant stand messy loose stools? are they still firm?, my dog is on pro plan but if this food is good and cheaper this would be great?

That will depend on YOUR dog, all dogs are different, what one does well on another wont, the only real test is to try it.

why spring water? The oils are really good for them. As long as there's not a lot of processed fats in their diet, I drain most of the oil, but leave a little when I feed sardines or tuna.

i was under the impression it was more the olive oil, fish oil that was good for them, the oil used in tuna and sardiens is usally vegatable oil,

just got of the phone to PP there inova evo small bites is currently 3kg=$45 7kg=$70 and there 13kg =$130

and prices are going up as of tmorrow, the whole inova range, i think this food is excelent, but stuff them if there going to keep putting up there pirces

going to get a bag of bonnie working dog today and see how it goes

i was under the impression it was more the olive oil, fish oil that was good for them, the oil used in tuna and sardiens is usally vegatable oil,

If you're feeding tuna, sardines etc they'll get Omega 3s from the fish. Vegetable oil is a good source of energy and fat which many dogs require more of during colder weather to maintain body weight.

And Woofbix is as good as any other of the cheaper dry foods, better than most in fact. Also good are the You'll Love Coles Dry Food (Chicken and Rice for preference) and the Woolworths Select Dry Food.

But I'm another sworn Great Barko/Uncle Albers devotee. Dogs do great on it (some of them TOO great) and very rarely do they turn their noses up. Coats are shiny and no great difference in stool production that I'm aware of.