"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, just find the cheapest brands and feed them until they can afford better quality food. I have one dog that I could feed anything too and he would have the same results.

Dogs do actually survive on cheap food and the people arent struggling with money which could lead to them giving up the dog.

Tell them to find a produce store that sells pet food and buy Bonnie, very cheap and good food.

Our guys have mostly raw but when we do feed kibble, we use Enduro (made here in Qld so not sure about availability in other states). It's available in a range of Complete, Plus & Puppy and costs around $38 for 20kg - our dogs are very active & have done really well on it.

We dont get great barko in WA so dont bother looking.

Coprice has been a good budget brand available from better pets & gardens.Other than its trial & error.

We use to use through the boarding but it doesnt cut it any more.The coprice is way better.

We have aselection of budget to premiun for the kennels as all dogs are different

Coprice and Bonnie would be the pick of the budget foods.

My Better Pets & Gardens no longer stock either due to the increased preference for premium foods but they only need a weeks notice and they can get it ordered in easily enough.

City Farmers always used to stock Bonnie, probably still do.

We feed Bonnie here, not cause it's cheap but cause our boys love it and do really well on it.

We tried everything for the GSD as he has growing and he always looked like a stray that no-one fed so we tried him on the Bonnie Working Dog and he looks fantastic, bulked up and coat shines. Our poodle came to us from the breeder on Advance and we gradually over about 3 months swapped him to Bonnie Puppy and he loves it too. They do get raw primarily but have access to their biscuits at all times.

Which would you consider to be the "best" of the "budget" brand complete dry foods?

Please, please, I don't want this to turn into a smack-down between BARF advocates & Super-premium advocates :cry: .......I'm trying to give the best advice I can to someone who doesn't have a lot of money right now, and wants to do the best they can by the dog, as cheaply as possible.

My guys are on Supercoat special care Sensetive, which I suggested (suits my kids well), but it doesn't agree with their dog, so that's a no-no!!! :)

They don't have a freezer, so can't do raw or BARF patties & freeze it, but they could do home-cooked that would keep in the fridge for three or four days if they had a suitable cheap recipe.

Does anyone have any good advice???

If you're SOR, there's a wholesale export placed called, I think, Advanced Pet Foods in Naval Base. They sell a good quality biscuit called Vitality for $35 for a 20 kg bag, and bags of mixed biscuits . .. probably not quite as good, for around $20 for 20 kg. The local rescue people use them . . .

if you're interested and need more info, PM me and I'll hunt down an address and phone number

Thank you Sandgrubber, but I'm very, very NoR :)........family who need it live even further Nor than me!!!

Edited by Willow

Willow - If you are chasing Coprice in NOR Perth, I know that Joondalup Better Pets & Gardens sorry I meant Petstock have it in stock as does City Barn in Malaga on Beach Road (ex City Farmers)

A few years ago, we were struggling and I fed Woofbix for a while... the dogs were fine on it.

I'm about to trial Coprice myself on recommendation of my breeder

ETA: I got the store name incorrect :laugh:

Edited by AnnaW

I fed Coprice for a while when I was broke, and it "fixed" my young fella's problem with the runs. I *think* he is wheat intolerant, and seeing as there is minimal wheat in Coprice, it sure does agree with him. Have since tested him with other brands, and they bring the runs back straight away. So he now only gets Coprice, and its just as easy to feed them all the same thing. Have no troubles with it at all.

We feed Saxon Cobber Working Dog... he has always had Cobber right from when we picked him up from the breeders at 8 weeks old (mind you, then it was Cobber Puppy!) He absolutely loves it and it is nice and cheap too... $30 for a 20kilo bag...

When I am feeding dry I now use coprice, we have tried almost everything and coprice is my pick for best quality and value for money. Add home brand sardines and chicken wings the odd red meaty bone and you have a reasonably priced diet that you can feel good about.

I just had a look at the ingredients for Coprice, it certainly has improved hasnt it! Going out on Friday to grab a bag for the dogs and see how we go. I think that with the carcasses/chicken livers should be a good diet for them considering no wheat

fingers crossed Skoota and Diesel don't get allergic

Perthies who buy Coprice... just make sure you check the contents. I went to a few different supply stores yesterday and ALL the Coprice that was in stock had flour moths/lavae (the lavae is quite hard to see if you aren't looking for it) through it :( . I rang a couple of other places NOR and got them to check before I drove to them, they had the problem too.