"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

I would & do use Great Barko. My dogs do better on it than the Eagle Pack they were on before switching!

If no Great Barko in stock, I'd get Uncle Albers - made by the same company, and the same price, just a different flavour.

ETA - Surely if you ask around the stockfeed places, you could find one that's willing to try selling Great Barko? It's made in SA, so shouldn't cost too much for them to freight a pallet of food to Perth? Especially if they sell it for around $30 for 22kg, one wonders how much they buy it for?

-WithEverythingIAm

Edited by witheverythingiam

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA - Surely if you ask around the stockfeed places, you could find one that's willing to try selling Great Barko? It's made in SA, so shouldn't cost too much for them to freight a pallet of food to Perth? Especially if they sell it for around $30 for 22kg, one wonders how much they buy it for?

-WithEverythingIAm

That's a very good point WEIA!!!!

:hug: Coles Complete Balance!!!

I tried it out, on a girlfriend's suggestion, on Baby Papillons (Chicken & Rice Small Dog) after the brand I usually fed went to 29% protein (too high in my opinion). And they loved it. Tried it on the Irish Setter pup, for the same reason, and she is doing beautifully on it also. My dogs have also thrived on Cobbers for 3 years, but I was looking for a "Grain-free' dry to compare.

Ingredients List: Rice, Rice Bran, Poultry and Poultry By products, Beef and Beef By products, Wheat Bran, Animal Fat, Whole Linseed, Salt, Kelp meal.......Vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12.....etc.

Less than $7/3kg, $12.50/8kg.

Its not their entire diet, I add Omega Oils, Fish, Mince, Bones at different meals over the week. All dogs (large and small all get the same food) have good stools, shiny coats and plenty of energy. And the youngsters are growing at the correct rates for their breed.

The Coles Complete Balance dog food is apparently Coprice.

would make life simple if was that easy to get..at coles.

thanks

Ingredients List: Rice, Rice Bran, Poultry and Poultry By products, Beef and Beef By products, Wheat Bran, Animal Fat, Whole Linseed, Salt, Kelp meal.......Vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12.....etc.

I think the Coprice Family Dog doesn't have Beef protein as an ingredient, and has Chicken/Chicken by Products (instead of Poultry).

Can anyone post the entire ingredients list of the Coles Complete balance, and also the Nutritional info % tables? I might be tempted to try, as none of the stock feed shops has Coprice near us (usually involves a long drive to stock up on it :hug: )

Thanks!

I agree with some of the others.

It is what works for the dog.

I have fed over the years

"Digger" It is not too bad, has added garlic in there and is reasonably priced for 2okg bag

Bonnie range. I found one choice better than the other.. cannot remember now which way it went whether working was better than their chicken or vice versa

I would be looking for anything free from colours. Just plain ole boring brown dog food. The ones that have colourful "vege" looking bits have artificial colours.. I would be staying away from those.

Shop around. Look at some of the Animal Produce places rather than the corner pet store. The produce places can be (some are not) a lot cheaper than even the large pet stores

[Coles Complete Balance

Ingredients List: Rice, Rice Bran, Poultry and Poultry By products, Beef and Beef By products, Wheat Bran, Animal Fat, Whole Linseed, Salt, Kelp meal,Garlic Flakes, Rosemary Oil, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, Biotin, Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Trace Minerals including Cobolt, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Selenium, Zinc.

Crude Protein 22.0%

Crude Fat 12.0%

Crude Fibre 3.5%

Salt (Sodium Chloride) 1.0%

Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 0.4%

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 1.7%

I think I got them all!!!

[Coles Complete Balance

Ingredients List: Rice, Rice Bran, Poultry and Poultry By products, Beef and Beef By products, Wheat Bran, Animal Fat, Whole Linseed, Salt, Kelp meal,Garlic Flakes, Rosemary Oil, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, Biotin, Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Trace Minerals including Cobolt, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Selenium, Zinc.

Crude Protein 22.0%

Crude Fat 12.0%

Crude Fibre 3.5%

Salt (Sodium Chloride) 1.0%

Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 0.4%

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 1.7%

I think I got them all!!!

Thanks alot Clankaree! :cry:

Coprice Family Dog

Rice, rice bran, chicken & chicken by-products, animal fat, whole linseed, dicalcium phosphate, salt, vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1 (Thiamin), B2 (Riboflavin), B6, B12, biotin, pantothenate, folic acid, niacin, choline, trace minerals (cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium, zinc), mixed tocopherols, rosemary plant extracts, citric acid, kelp, garlic, yucca schidigera extract

Coprice Puppy

Rice, chicken & chicken by-products, rice bran, beef & beef by-products, full fat soyabean meal, animal fat, whole linseed, chicken digest, bentonite, lucerne meal, salt, vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1 (Thiamin), B2 (Riboflavin), B6, B12, biotin, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, niacin, cobalt carbonate, copper sulphate, potassium iodide, ferrous sulphate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, zinc oxide, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols, rosemary plant extracts, citric acid, kelp, garlic, yucca schidigera extract,lysine, methionine.

Wow :laugh: The Coles food isn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be! I am currently feeding my boy Royal Canin (I get it cheap from work, but can only get it if there's minimal customer demand for it) and my girl Innova (and am switching as soon as the bag runs out, because it's not making any difference in her condition, grrr). Do they make a senior food as well, or can I feed the 5 and 9 year old the same food?

I have tried Eagle Pack and Euk for Boo but he had no consistency in output and was also struggling to hold weight despite eating a lot. I finally put all of my preconceived ideas aside and put him on Bonnie (breeder's advice) and he has gone well. His weight is great, firmer poos and he loves it and eats it all first go as opposed to picking like he did with the others. I don't think his coat is as good as it was on EP but I can work on that with other things.

The only issue with Bonnie for me is that the puppy one is too high in protein so have been feeding working dog.

My food bill has gone from $115 every 3 weeks (13.6kg) to $40 (20kg) and should last the month!

I've used Bonnie Working for mine for years and always had good results. :laugh:

Even picky eaters seem to like it, and the end result (poo pick up!) is firm - non soggy and stuck all through trousers or tails like I have got from Supercoat!!

I sympathise with wanting to have reasonable food costs, I like big dogs and have family to feed as well!!

Excellent, thank you ellz :laugh:

You're welcome. I forgot to add that they also do a formula for Small Breeds as well. So pretty much the whole range is covered. And I confess that once my puppies started to get up and hoover, I was feeding half Optimum and half Coles and they have done just fine!!

I bought some Coprice Family Chicken and Rice for Bailey yesterday. I am going to give that a try and see how he handles it. He seemed to love the taste of it and picked it out of his bowl before the rest of his kibble, at least it must taste good!!

I only buy kibbles that have meat as the 1st at least 2 ingredients.

Uncle Albers has meat and fish as the first two ingredients, and I'm am just as happy as can be with it. After 18 months of super premium brands, I can't believe the improvement in Bensons coat and skin.

And at $30 for 22kg, my purse is equally as happy with it.