"budget" Dry Dog Food.

Guest Willow

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to the conclusion that for us kibble is more expensive than raw

Totally agree with that!

And I just wanted to say that I think your dog is just beautiful! I love poodles and your little one's face makes me smile every time I see it...

Oh why me ...

I went out and bought a bag of Chicken and Rice Family Dog by Coprice today. The doggies love it and tucked in. Only after feeding them did I have a look at the bag ... wheat bran is the 3rd ingredient on the list :happydance2: so its NOT technically a wheat free food. How pissed off am I. I have just written a letter to them to clarify the situation.

Wheat Allergic dog owners - READ THE LABELS ON COPRICE THEY ARE NOT WHEAT FREE

Yep both. Re Barko: If you phone Laucke Mills in SA they will give you the number of your local LM rep who will then tell you where to buy it. Alternatively, you can just wait and see if someone else answers your question more specifically :swear:

Interesting thread! My Weimaraner has a bit of a sensitive stomach and I've tried a LOT of different dog foods and BARF until finding Orijen which worked wonders on both of my dogs actually. But that also meant I had to miss out on some stuff as a growing Weim eats a lot and the hole in my budget got bigger. Now Orijen is out of the question and I tried more dog foods. Purina One worked pretty well and the Coles stuff neither of my dogs touched. After not feeding them for nearly 3 days (because they refused to eat this food), I took it to the RSPCA and donate it. The only one who liked it was my bird.

I started on Great Barko this morning and love the price, the size of the bags and also the size of the kibble plus they're an Aussie company. My dogs loved it and actually chewed their food! Will pos results in a week once I see how they're going on it.

I'm really please to report that after my experience with the flour moths in the Coprice, I rang Coprice and they have contacted the distributer... turns out that if you keep the Coprice with the RiceBran that they also sell, moths can and do flourish! :laugh: Steps have been implemented to prevent this happening again, so supplies in Perth shouldn't have the problem again.

Coprice have sent me a whole bag of dog food to try (minus moths!) - so big :thumbsup: to the great customer service.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting thread! My Weimaraner has a bit of a sensitive stomach and I've tried a LOT of different dog foods and BARF until finding Orijen which worked wonders on both of my dogs actually. But that also meant I had to miss out on some stuff as a growing Weim eats a lot and the hole in my budget got bigger. Now Orijen is out of the question and I tried more dog foods. Purina One worked pretty well and the Coles stuff neither of my dogs touched. After not feeding them for nearly 3 days (because they refused to eat this food), I took it to the RSPCA and donate it. The only one who liked it was my bird.

I started on Great Barko this morning and love the price, the size of the bags and also the size of the kibble plus they're an Aussie company. My dogs loved it and actually chewed their food! Will pos results in a week once I see how they're going on it.

Hi oceanaussi - how are you dogs enjoying Great Barko?? I'd be really interested to hear.

I'm currently using Eagle Pack Holistic ( was feeding Orijen and now have a paralysed cat from the cat version.... :( ) and Molly is doing really well on it but financial circumstances have changed a lot so need to make a few changes.

Great Bark are not stocked near to me in paddo but the NSW rep is dropping me off a bag next week to try, plus a sample bag of the other one (Albert). Very impressed with them so far and haven't even fed it to Molly :laugh:

OK its been nearly 2 weeks and I'm so relieved to say NO ONE is allergic or having any adverse reactions to the Coprice :laugh: They are loving it too! Looks like we've found the new dog food! Thank christ its so much cheaper then everything else non allergenic

i wont touch bonnie, i worked in a kennel that used it, and all the dogs did fine on it - but for my dogs? Nope, seems i had to feed them twice as much, and got 10 times the poops out the other end!!

I feed nurtience, and wont ever change, but if i HAD to, i would go back to supercoat, one of the few foods Atlas does well on (kaos could eat chum for the rest of her life and be in perfect condition !!)

Not big dry food users here, certainly not daily and even then I like to mix it with sardines, vegies, cheese etc.

Am very interested in trying the Uncle Albers, but does it only come in the large bags?

Am concerned about buying quantities of dry to find we are stuck with it.

This happened to my girl when we tried Eagle Pack. She didn't like it and didn't

thrive on it (I had got some bags at a pet expo). I couldn't even get a refund

for the unopened bags so had to divvy it up and give to other dogs and feed

my girl some heavily disguised just to get through it :laugh:

Hi oceanaussi - how are you dogs enjoying Great Barko?? I'd be really interested to hear.

I'm currently using Eagle Pack Holistic ( was feeding Orijen and now have a paralysed cat from the cat version.... :( ) and Molly is doing really well on it but financial circumstances have changed a lot so need to make a few changes.

Great Bark are not stocked near to me in paddo but the NSW rep is dropping me off a bag next week to try, plus a sample bag of the other one (Albert). Very impressed with them so far and haven't even fed it to Molly :(

Mine have been on Great Barko for a couple of weeks now and it's great! They love it! No problems whatsoever. Very happy with it! :laugh:

Oh why me ...

I went out and bought a bag of Chicken and Rice Family Dog by Coprice today. The doggies love it and tucked in. Only after feeding them did I have a look at the bag ... wheat bran is the 3rd ingredient on the list :laugh: so its NOT technically a wheat free food. How pissed off am I. I have just written a letter to them to clarify the situation.

Wheat Allergic dog owners - READ THE LABELS ON COPRICE THEY ARE NOT WHEAT FREE

It is fine on my wheat intolerant dog. But I guess there is a difference between intolerance and allergic? It is the ONLY food I can feed him without him constantly having the runs.

EDIT - I see it has agreed with your dogs after all. Great stuff!

Petbarn stock Coprice. Albers/Barko can be more tricky to get in Sydney, but it is around.

Edited by Rysup

Coprice is very good. Mine prefer the Family one rather than Working Dog (smaller biscuit on Family so suits small dogs more than Working).

Another fan of Coprice "Family" variety (with kelp/garlic etc) here. Small pellets though, so when feeding to bigger dogs I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the dish, allow the bottom layer of biccies to soak it up then mix all up so its both moist 'n crunchy in texture and the bigger dogs then have no trouble eating it.

Had one fussy little boarder "who only eats what we eat" according to his frustrated owners.. Came with his own supply of treats which was all he would eat for the first day or so. Worked out he was a spoilt and lazy eater and only liked small pelleted food, partially moistened. Withheld the treats. Fed Coprice Family mixed with small diced doggy sausage (Tuckertime etc) and dinner vanished every night thereafter. :( Treats were only given if dinner eaten the night before.

When they came to collect their little darling, owners could not get over the fact that he now ate "dog food" :( ...and was looking very good on it. Rushed to write down the magic formula and were off to buy some Coprice & doggy snagger. :laugh:

Somehow, once he gets home I think he will get them right back under his little iron paw tho'... :wink: