Best Brush Brands

I am looking at replacing my fairly ordinary brushes (pin and slickers) with a better brand(s) so just looking for recommendations from people who have used some of the brands, what you like and what you didn't, what your thought was good value and what you wished you hadn't bought.

Thanks for your help.

I am looking at replacing my fairly ordinary brushes (pin and slickers) with a better brand(s) so just looking for recommendations from people who have used some of the brands, what you like and what you didn't, what your thought was good value and what you wished you hadn't bought.

Thanks for your help.

what breed of dog?

Slickers - really depends upon the dog. I like my OLD Doggyman (15 years old and still going strong) but haven't yet found a newer Doggyman to come close to replacing it.

Pin Brush - swear by the Plush Puppy pin brushes. At $12 or so, you can have a few laying around. I like them so much I use them on my own long, thick, straight hair.

Bristle Brush - Plush Puppy Metro Anti Static and my best "find". 100% pure boar bristle Cameo brand brush from the supermarket. As good as my old Mason Pearson but a mere fraction of the cost (ie $19 instead of $100 plus). I like the boar bristle brushes as against the nylon brushes because they don't generate static which can cause knotting and hair breakage in a show coat.

Thanks for your help.

what breed of dog?

I have a standard poodle but also groom a variety of SWF for the locals some in coat and some not so not really looking for a brush specifically for a breed.

Thanks for that Ellz, I thought the PP pin brush was a bit harsh, didn't like the feel of it against my arm which I thought was the test :thumbsup:

As I said, I use the PP pin brushes on myself and I'm a real wuss when it comes to having my hair pulled! :thumbsup:

I've heard good reports about the Laser Lites pin brushes but haven't used them myself. I'm a big believer in sticking with what works and PP works for me.

Over the years I've also used PSI pin brushes which would be my next preference behind PP. #1 All Systems pin brushes are nice but don't live for long. Same with Chris Christenson pin brushes. Prestige are, I believe, PSI brushes with a "cheap" label so are probably quite ok too.

I've also found the PP pin brushes to be amongst the best and least expensive. :wave:

The arm test is if it actually scratches your arm rather than how hard it feels against your skin. :thumbsup: As the pins on the PP pin brush are all individually ground which is the best possible scenario, I'm curious to know if your pins on that brush are actually scratching?? :)

I always test slicker brushes like that. :rofl:

Anyway, an alternative pin brush which I like is long pin Chris Cristensen brush 'cos it works well on the coats I have here. :rofl: I tend to use All Systems #1 Slickers. :eek:

Hope this helps! :eek:

I have been a bit hesitant to use the PP pin brush on the poo but perhaps I should just give it a go and see how he reacts, he's a bit of a wuss too :thumbsup:

My old cheapy that I have had forever and love is giving up the ghost and I can't remember where I got it from or what it was called, so will have to make a decision shortly.

Maybe you're the wuss! :thumbsup::) (I also brush my own hair with my pin brushes! :rofl: )

All Systems PIN brushes, I like them, but as Ellz mentioned, they don't last long as the pins push back in at a rapid rate which is exceptionally annoying when you've just paid like $30 for a "good" brush and it craps out on you within the month! :wave: It took me 2 years and 4 long-coats before my PP pin brush got into a state like that and I think that was only because the rubber cushioning stuff that the pins are set into started to deteriorate. :rofl:

Try the PP brush again :eek:

I have Chris Chistensen and absolutely LOVE them. They are expensive, but worth every cent for me. The pin brush doesn't scratch my arm when I test it on me and my Keeshond completely changed from hating grooming to actually standing still!

Maybe you're the wuss! :):wave: (I also brush my own hair with my pin brushes! :eek: )

All Systems PIN brushes, I like them, but as Ellz mentioned, they don't last long as the pins push back in at a rapid rate which is exceptionally annoying when you've just paid like $30 for a "good" brush and it craps out on you within the month! :eek: It took me 2 years and 4 long-coats before my PP pin brush got into a state like that and I think that was only because the rubber cushioning stuff that the pins are set into started to deteriorate. :(

Try the PP brush again :)

:rofl: Dang you got me, perhaps it is I who is the wuss :rofl: Will try again tonight and report back :thumbsup: