Older Puppy

TrinaJ

:) Picked up a new rottweiler puppy on the weekend, he's 6 months old - such a sweet boy.

He hasn't had any training whatsoever, so we have to start from the very beginning.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to encourage him to sit etc? He doesn't respond at all to food (he's never really been given 'treats' as such before and didn't know what to do with the piece of kabanna that I tried to use yesterday). I did get him to sit last night and this morning before his dinner, I just told him to sit and then gently put him into a sit then gave lots and lots of praise (verbal and physical) when he sat, told him "free" and put his food down.

I also need ideas for something to encourage him to heel along beside me and generally I have used treats for this. He is just not interested in them at all and isn't really used to the lead.

We start formal training tomorrow night at the RCV :cheer:.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Trina

ps.... here he is below eating a lamb shank (he knew exactly what to do with this :eek:) - he's fluffy cuz he'd just had a bath and wasn't completely dry

Bandit

Bandit.jpg

Bandit3.jpg

Edited by TrinaJ

Awwww, he's adorable!

I'm only a new puppy owner, so my advice is probably not going to get you far. But I think you should try loads more types of treats to find the ones he DOES like - you only have to look at him with his lamb bone to know he's a foodie, like all doggies! I had to do the same thing with my puppy, as he showed no real interest in food right from the start. He's still the same with his regular meals, but I've found a couple of different treats that he likes.

Alternatively, just give him whatever you're eating - Max seems to think that that's the best food to be had! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your new baby, he really is a gorgeous boy.

Only a thought, I am sure you will get many more people replying with lots more experience but what about cooked chicken? I had a dog that did not really respond to treats and I found that cooked chicken was the best for her. I would walk past her nose with it in my hand and I would then call her, she would come and I would make a big fuss of her and give her a tiny bit of the chicken. I think it was the praise and pats as well as the chicken that helped. I also made a game of it and would hide a bit in the yard. I would rub it in the grass and she would find it. Also when found lots of hugs and praise as well as the chicken. Good luck :thumbsup:

If he likes pats and praise you could use that. :laugh: If guiding him and then pats and praise for compliance works for him and food doesn't, I would guide and use pats and praise.

Or does he like toys? Balls, squeakies, tugs etc?

I am having some success with Diesel with getting focus and then verbal marker, release, pat/get really excited and send to a reward (and run with dog to reward). I am using a squeaky toy and at times treats (I am using cheese). He is actually getting excited now and giving good focus and running to the reward :thumbsup: I have started adding a few steps at heel too.

I've had a few dogs, who weren't interested in treats... I handfed them for 2 weeks, which taught them that food comes from my hand... Also just throwing a treat on the floor in front of them works... they'll explore it and then eat it...

Thanks for the ideas :thumbsup: Praise seems to work with him so I think I will keep going with that for now. I am also teaching him his name too, which he is seeming to come to now, again I make a big fuss when he comes to me with lots of stupid excited voice praise and lots of pats.

Toys....I have a few squeeky toys I could try and see how we go. Jett works on squeek toys, she is too much of a gutso when it comes to food rewards, she just wants more *LOL* I will try toys as well and see how he goes with that.

Thanks again for the ideas, will also try the chicken idea, or beef, he's a real meat eater :laugh: