Question

Wouln't do any more to someone else's dog than whats been mentioned- while there are other effective training technqiues to use, they vary from dog to dog AND the owner might not mind the jumping up. I would simply make a light hearted comment about it upontheir return to try and decipher if they think its a problem and if they do- you can recommend they see a trainer as the problem can be stopped in adult dogs- they just might not realise it!

• 4 months later...

I'll add to the question....

Tango's doesn't jump or rush and is fine with everyone except mate....mate is very exciting for him (plays with him and 'gets him wound up' without meaning to), so he bounces...and rather than mate turning his back on him, he shouts at him and therein lies the problem...mate shouts, raises his hands, Tango gets excited and bounces even higher.....

he tells me that Tango's not under control and that he was taught to shout at dogs who come at him so they feel threatened and go away...I pointed out that if he didn't shout at Tango but turned his back on him until he stopped bouncing and didn't raise his hands, Tango would stop doing it...but he says I'm wrong...ok, I may be wrong but it's interesting that he's the only person who Tango does it to...

so can someone please help me teach Tango not to bounce around mate because he now won't visit at all because he's worried that he'll get hurt by 32kg of leaping, bouncing, spinning enthusiasm.....also it's apparently not as bad when I'm not here.....

aaarrrghhhhh...please help!!