Dry Food Product Sizes.

pebbles

I would like to try some of the medium priced dry dog food. Example - Great Barko, Cobber etc. I've been Googling some sites but can only find them in the bigger bags 22kg eg. Is there any which have their product in from 1kg to 4kg. I've only got littlies and feed dry and raw so don't use a lot.

Perhaps I can get sample packs from some places? Do any of these come in smaller size pieces as well? Any info would be great as I'm going crosseyed Googling :thumbsup:

Thanks, Gaylek, just checked the Bonnie site and it comes in 3, 8 and 20kg in 'Puppy' but apparently only 20kg in Adult. Surely there must be a 'better' dry in a smaller bag? Oh well, will keep looking!

eta - OK the 'top of the range' dry - do any of these come in small bags and also small size suitable for Toys?

Edited by pebbles

Great Barko & Uncle Albers only come in 22kg. I guess at just $30 a bag, most people wouldn't mind getting that much.

Have you thought of contacting the makers, and see if they have a sample bag they could send you? If the dogs like it, then you could start buying the 22kg ones, and store in a sealed plastic container to keep fresh?

-WithEverythingIAm

Samples sound a good idea, I'll have to get on to that, bad enough when the small bag doesn't suit or the little blighters wont eat it. A small bag, 1.5kg, generally last me about 3 weeks so I'm not keen on getting a large quantity as I'd be a bit sus. about it keeping that long.

Thanks, Gaylek, just checked the Bonnie site and it comes in 3, 8 and 20kg in 'Puppy' but apparently only 20kg in Adult. Surely there must be a 'better' dry in a smaller bag? Oh well, will keep looking!

eta - OK the 'top of the range' dry - do any of these come in small bags and also small size suitable for Toys?

Eagle pack have lots of sizes

Eagle pack have lots of sizes

eta - to say my local Pet Stock will take opened food back if the dog doesn't like it

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I have seen places like The pet Cafe break down a big bag into smaller ones and sell those separately. But for the cost of that I have to wonder about the economics of it.

Its a good idea for people with little dogs and also those wishing to try a new brand without having to buy the 20kg bag.

Both Uncle Albers and Great Barko come in small sample bags of a few hundred grams each, I have gotten them from my local produce store when they were doing a promotion. Try ringing Laucke Mills in SA and see if they will send you some, if your dogs like it maybe someone will share a bag with you?

The Uncle Albers has higher protein and fat levels than the GB.

I'm waiting on some samples from Laucke Mills so will see how they go. I've emailed for local distributors of the Eagle Pack. Problem around here is that no one feeds commercial food - farmers just feed sheep, roo, whatever happens to be available. They've never even heard of premium dog food and 'Barf ' is generally something that happens after a heavy night at the pub :) I've been using Supercoat but now the local supermarket aren't stocking it. I bought a bag of another cheapie that they had and one dog has developed the 'itchies'. If I have to make the 300k round trip to get Supercoat I thought I'd investigate one of the 'better' brands but perhaps I will just stick to Supercoat as it seems to agree with all my gang. Me thinks me reading too much :rofl:

Pet Deli in Sydney will post Eaglepack to you

They are really fast at sending it out too and the postage isn't too bad

i've got them to send me cat food this way and also the bigger bags of Eaglepack for the dogs

Hi Pebble's, i have small dogs too and had the same problem.... instead of buying the big bags of dry i ended up buying Purina Lucky dog mini's from the supermarket which they all love, i even use it as bait in the ring :cheer:

Linda...

hi sorry yo hijack

Was wondering if any one knows where to get Great Barko or uncle albers in Logan, Brisbane

The closest stockist I believe is Rochedale Produce at Slacks Creek or Beenleigh Farm Supplies at Beenleigh. Go to www.lauckemills.com.au to find there phone numbers. :cheer:

Yep Tenties, they make it hard 'specially when you live really rural, even the supermarkets don't stock many brands. Guess I'll stick to Supercoat although the darn shop only has 'Light and Mature' at the moment but promised me they'd get 'Adult' next week.