Ticks

winewood

Hi all,

Thanks for the information, it still terrifies me the thought of ticks and it seems this is a bad year for them, that would be right just when I want to get a new pup.

But don't worry I have'nt been deterred from getting a cocker spaniel, mine will be the most checked dog in the state and we will walk down the middle of the street not near any plants or grass !! just joking

thanks again I will print of the information and keep it on file.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called my vet to see if I lived in an increased risk tick area.

This is the information he's given me.

-Increased numbers of tick incidences this year due to the weather (high humidity and such: in my area anyway)

-if a tick is found, remove it immediately with tweezers. He was saying that a tick doesn't have a head as such and I shouldn't concern myself if it stays on (I thought that was a bit weird, considering it goes against everything I've ever heard about ticks)

-Using a spray like Frontline or whatever isn't really necessary to kill the tick

-He recommended using Proban tablets for smaller dogs, as 1 tablet is taken for every 10kgs of weight. My dog when fully grown, will be about 40kgs or so. For me, he recommended Frontline drops every 2 weeks.

-I live in Nowra, on the NSW south coast. He said the risk was lessened cos I was in the suburbs, but since Nowra is close to the beach areas, other animals can easily bring them into my yard.

-And of course, daily checks for ticks.

-He also said that dogs become affected bwtween 3-7 days of the tick attaching.

My personal advice- talk to your vet, talk to other vets in the area. Do a daily check, twice a day if you feel the need. And above all- DON'T PANIC!! I have worked myself up into such a worry over it.

:) :D

I allways noticed that after good rain there were more ticks than usual.

An old cattleman I knew used to put a penny in the dogs drinking water.

Has anyone heard of this? Or shaved a penny for the copper.People do strange things with ticks I have know some who fed their dogs ticks to make them 'immune'. I knew one dog that had this done daily, the dog never got ill, but hey who wants to take the chance,anyway I thought the bloke was an idiot.

Just interested in the old ways people used against tick.

Anyone know of any?

GillyBob

Hi everyone,

Just a bit of an idea to pass on to you all especially those with long coated dogs, I have found it really good to use the hairdryer on cold cycle, parts the hair through to the skin and you can check really easy that way as to whether there is anything clinging to the skin. (helps is your dog is brushed and combed, and not full of mats!

Use your fingers to check around the face, ears, nose and eye area. The throat must be checked too.

Prevention is certainly better than humungus vet bills.

Cala

Another Tick alert !!

Spent the weekend at Frenchs Forest Sydney. Dog was only in the inlaws garden and have found 2 ticks on her today.

:D

Edit: adding link to really useful website

(Not just for animals)

www.tickalert.org.au

Check out the "Visitor Map" ( see "your feedback" ) where you can read Tick Alerts from other people and add your own.

Edit again: might help if I spelt the link right :thumbsup:

Edited by MaxSpots

Ticks are horrendous in my area (Northern Beaches)! My neighbours cat died a fortnight ago, and I nearly lost mine last week!! Thankfully he made it and is now back at home (indoors!!)

Divine Angel, if the head remains in when pulling the tick off, it is ok as the poison runs from the body, therefore no more poison is injected in to the animal. However you do then need to keep an eye on the head, as it can get infected as the animal then has a foreign body.

My parents are also in this area, and they have a very leafy garden, lots of ferns etc, so my dogs dont go there ever! However visitors have ticks on them from walking from their car, down the garden path, to the front door. Very scary stuff!!

Edited to add: a friends dog died as he had a tick inside his anus, and another from a tick on their gum!! :) Front line was used on both these pets, plus daily checks.

Edited by dru

I am so, so sorry to add to any paranoia. But these paralysis ticks are lethal.

I've just got the heartbreaking news that a beautiful little Tibbie girl called Anna has died from a paralysis tick. She lived just north of Sydney.

Her owner is a retired lady who doted on her....groomed her top to toe every night. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with that lady about a Qld tibbie boy who's just survived a tick by a whisker. And she told me how Anna was taking Proban as directed.

This poor lady is heartbroken....she says Anna was the prettiest & cheekiest Tibbie ever. And I agree.

Tick's are a right pain in the ass :crazy:

Pulled two off our guys over the weekend. Mai had one and it had only just got there and one of our JRT puppies had a large one. I was very concerned and didn't let it out of my sight for 48hrs.

Mclennan... glad to hear that you have spoken to Bill & Vi... I want another cocker puppy now :D :)

I am off to buy some tick collars and frontline for this summer.