Please Help Me Save My Dog

Guest Andrewa

Guest Andrewa

My dog is a golden retriever, she is now nearly 10 years old.

She is somewhat overweight, ever since she was a child she has had a bad hip, and cannot sit straight. She still walks like other dogs and it hasnt affected her up untill now.

I've been told the arthritis in her back knee is getting worse and worse. And if she doesnt lose weight, that we would lose likely lose her in a few months.

I was thinking about walking her more, but its so hard on her leg that i think it would do more harm than good. Maybe walking her on a regular basis but with gaps in between say twice a week wednesdays and sundays but im not sure.

Her diet at the moment is large dry biscuits and as well as your typical small nut size like dog food mix.

What can we do, please help me save my dog.

She needs to cut down her caloric intake. A number of ways of doing that. One is to get the "diet" mix in the premade foods.

Another is to do what my sister did with her overweight Ridgie, which was to cut down the amount of her normal food, and grate carrots in as a filler.

Basically she needs to eat less kilojoules by whatever method.

As far as exercise goes, I am not a vet so can't say, but you could ask your vet about swimming.

Most Labradors are vaccums on four legs, I know my vets Labby will eat anything, my GSD's wont eat lettuce, tomato and other bits and pieces but the Labby doesn't even taste the food, he sucks it in, lol.

You need to be cruel to be kind in this instance and only feed your dog the bare minium for awhile. Lean meats and boiled veggies and mearsure/weigh everything!

I looked after my father in laws dog for 3 months while they were away, the 4 year old was nearly obessely overweight, he gave her food by 'the bowl full' never weighed anything. For the first 2 months, she was only fed 1 cup of premium biscuit, as opposed the 4 cups of cheap and crappy food she had been fed, with a tablespoon of lean meat. When F.I.L came back he commented on how good she looked and you could now feel her ribs, with just a light covering over the ribs, instead of diggging and not finding a trace of a rib, as was the case two months before.

He said he would continue on the diet and assured me he would measure everything. Within the month, he had gone back to his old ways, of not measuring, just pouring it into her dog bowl, as the cup and a bit didn't look look like enough for this desexed, sedatory dog, she was obese, within 6months.

so you will need to cruel to be kind, the boiled vegies will fill her up and the meat will give her protein source, a 1/4 c for now and lean with a calcium tablet, she sounds like she has plenty in reserve, a bit like a hybernating bear :rolleyes: so dont' feel like you are being cruel and starving her, once you have got her down to a decent weight, it can take around 3 months to do this, then you can slowly increase her biscuit by a 1/4 c at a time until you have her a maintance weight, if she puts on weight, drop it back by half a cup, make sure NO ONE else feeds her, people have a tendancy to feel sorry for those soulful eyes commony seen in the Labby.

The only exercise I would be diong too, would be swimming, drive her to a swimming pool, there are doggy once in most cities, or else a river. You can also start to give her Sasha Blend, that will help with her arthritis and follow the instructions of your vet.

The other crucial thing is to cut out all snacks, tidbits. Sometimes people feed their dogs about the right amount but double those calories in leftovers each day.

As with humans, a gradual weight loss is the best way to go. I started feeding my BC's according to premium dog food package recommendations years ago. From memory, this was about 3 1/2 cups per day. They were each around 8-10 kilos overweight. They are now around 18-20 kilos, so that was one third of their body weight over at the time. When I started agility training, many people told me that they were overweight, so we started to cut it down, 2 1/2 cups, then 2 cups, then 1 1/2, now one cup. I took a year to decrease their food intake. As Fiona suggested, I also changed one of those cups to "lite" along the way. I would talk to your vet again, as this might be too long a period for your dog, if she's that overweight. Mine also get treats in training, leftovers sometimes & bones sometimes. When I add any of these extras, their dry food is reduced.

I knew a lab, in a similar situation. Friends of mine looked after her for a year, while their parents were overseas. Over a year, she went from hardly being able to walk at the park to running alongside a bike...loose skin flying everywhere LOL but SO SO happy. I never saw her again once the parents came back, but have heard that they kept it up & she has a new lease on life.

Good luck & I would definitely get your vet to help you do a plan to help her.

Vickie

Firstly what exactly are you feeding & in what quantity?

What medications or natural alternatives is she on to help ease pain??

Suitable diets can come in many forms but there success is totally reliant on the humans to follow it through,thus meaning no tidbits unless healthly & meal size adjusted for treats.The dog isnt going to hoon around the back yard so you need to feed for an elderly dog that isnt active

Exercise is something very simple & the main aim is to keep the dog moving to ensure joints dont get over stiff or unused,ensure that bedding is soft & suitable.

Just walking to the letter box & back a few times a day keeps the body functioning.

Just a little extra info you might like to use - my 10 year old dog has recently gone on a weight-loss diet, and she also has arthritis so this might be helpful. I give her "Vet's All Natural" complete mix - Dog Weight Loss formula. It's a mix of dried veg, grains, brewer's yeast etc., availabe from health food stores. You mix it with water and let it stand for 12 hours and serve it with good quality raw meat. My Jessie LOVES it. I add a heaped teaspoon of Glucosamine Chondroitin joint food powder, also available from health food stores.

www.vetsallnatural.com.au

Leenie in Brisbane sent me the following advice when I posted about Jessie having a problem with her right front leg collapsing under her occassionaly. I'm sure she wont mind me re-posting it here, for you to adapt as you think best for your Lab.

The leg giving way under the body is often is a sign of reduced cartilage around the joint and weak tendons not holding the shoulder joint in place - therefore creating weakness, hence the leg gives out from under the body.

A similar thing happens with one of my knees. The glucosamine should be helping with this - it's great stuff as is the VAN Complete Mix. Good choices!

Also try Green Lipped Mussel Extract:

0-10kg - 1/2 tablet per day, until improvement then reduce to 1/4

11-40kg - 1 tab per day, until improvement then reduce to 1/2

41kg + - 2 tab per day, until improvement then reduce to 1

and an oil that contains a combination of vitamins A, D and E. The best, in my opinion, is Greenpet Omega-Plus oil, which contains 100% pure cold pressed oils - safflower oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, cod liver oil, evening primrose oil, wheat germ oil with additional vitamin E.

You may also like to look at gentle physio (does she like swimming? only take short frequent walks...) and therapeutic massage.

--------------------

natural therapies & products for animals

www.naturalanimalcare.com

Most importantly, as has already been said, cut down on those CARBS (dog biscuits are a big no-no I'm afraid)

Wishing you all the best with your dog - may she be with you for many more years.

Edited by YappyLittleDawg

I have a 16 year old Lab who was overweight. She was used to living in a nursing home and sharing all the cuppas and bikkies.

Cut down her food and now we have a dog that runs, albeit slowly, to keep up with the others. She has arthritis and Sasha's Blend helped her.

Guest Andrewa

We have a pool - but unfortunately there are no steps ;).

Will have a look around, might just take her down 2 the beach for a swim.

Cheers

A.

Has the Vet mentioned Cartophren injections for arthritis. These injections gave our old dog a new lease of life.

Swimming is recommended as the best exercise for humans with arthritis so if you can use a long lead and have your Lab swim out of it's depth it would be useful. Swimming exercises the muscles without the wieght bearing on joints so should be enjoyable too. Good luck.

Hi I also have a very loved pet "axel" who is 13yrs old and suffers from arthritis. He was advised to lose about 5kg... hmm he didnt like that idea... I know there are some wonderful posts on this site about Raw feeding, and am a great advocate of this, especially with animals with joint and or skin problems. Spreading the meal out over the day is a good way of keeping your dog from feeling starved. but do check out the BARF information as it is excellent. My dog has certainly benefited from the loss of weight but I have also got him on the following product called PrimeVal Gelatinaat which is fantastic for the Arthritis and Hip dysplasia problems we are seeing.

Comparason with other product:

The Gelatinaat - is a collagen and delivers the amino acids (via the collagen hydrolysate) that plays a significant role as the building blocks - into cartilage, connective tissues and joints

Glucosamine and chondroitin (shark cartilage) are only found in the cartilage, and only effective on the cartilage and not on the connective tissue. Is not always readily absorbed.

MSM is different again, as it is a sulphur, which works throughtout the body. It is important against inflammation and a painkiller and works as a restraint on the prostaglandin synthesis...

PrimeVal Gelatinaat combines very well with Glucosamine/Chondroitin as well as MSM.

Apart from that the Gelatinaat can be used in combination with regular medication.

Phew got all that out..

I have several of my massage clients now on this

wonderful product (which is 95% absorbed into the body within 12 hrs!!!) One

in particular has had spinal surgery also with injury to the spinal cord and

only given 60% chance of walking again. He has been having weekly massages

and is now taking the Gelatinaat.. The combination seems to work very well.

He will always have a limp due to the damage to his spinal cord, but is no

longer dragging his back leg, and is brighter and more at ease. The

Gelatinaat works on the whole musculoskeletal system of the dog.because of

the unique composition and combination of the collagen hydrolysate and

collagen type II. Cartilage consists largely of collagen type II which is

very important and a strong component against inflammation. It can be taken

in conjunction with veterinary medicines. Have also been having strong

success with the massage and Gelatinaat on those of our furry friends

afflicted with Arthritis and Hip Dysplasia..

I have brochures/newsletters that I can send you if you would like, I also

have Veterinarians notes if you would like these sent to your Vet so that

they may give you their opinion. I have had my Vet study these and he feels

it is of great over all benefit..

Also have information on my web site feel free to visit or email

www.dogeaze-canine-massage.com

Thanks hope all going well

Jules

Guest Andrewa
Hi guys,

Just an update on how Andrew's dog is doing - she has lost 4kg's so far!! Andrew also appreciates all the advice offered ;)

Cheers,

Dani

Hey just an update - dogs lost another 2 kgs. Shes looking much more healthier and is muchmore lively. She doesnt limp much atall anymore.

Thanks again for all your help.

Guest Andrewa
Spreading the meal out over the day is a good way of keeping your dog from feeling starved. but do check out the BARF information as it is excellent. My dog has certainly benefited from the loss of weight but I have also got him on the following product called PrimeVal Gelatinaat which is fantastic for the Arthritis and Hip dysplasia problems we are seeing.

I forgot to mention - yes my dog has had a bad hip since she was very young.

I have a retriever, she's 11 now (and lives with my parents). A few years ago she went to live with a friend for about 6 months and came back incredibly overweight. As soon as we had her home, she was on a strict diet...the carrot bulking works very well.

As an alternative to purchased bones all our dogs get whole raw carrots as a treat and they LOVE it! Good for the teeth too...and if you buy a bulk bag way cheaper too.