How Do I "encourage" My Puppy To Poop?

moosepup

I've had my Chihuahua puppy, Moose, for nearly a week now (13wks old) and he seems to have got the peeing outside under control but I still can't get him to poop out there! He seems to poop HOURS after eating so I have no idea when he's going to do it. This morning I stood out there for 1.5 hours (during which time he had breakfast) and no action. He sniffs and sniffs and sniffs but nothing! Our older dog Zoe even did a poop right in front of him but he still didn't get the idea lol. Is there anything I can do to "encourage" him to poop?

PS. When he does poop (inside) they are firmish and healthy so I know he's not constipated.

Just had to include this pic cos he's so cute! :rolleyes:

post-27684-1235696217_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosepup

Are you at home with him all the time? You need to work out his 'pooping signal' and as soon as you see it scoop him up and take him outside. The idea is to not let him have any mistakes in the house, as this will just make it take longer to train him. If he is running off and pooping then try tethering him to you with a lead so you can always watch him. After he poops, then he can have a few hours of off-leash play time. Of course after he poops in the right place then he gets lots of praise, treats, playtime etc.

It took about 2 weeks for our guy to get it, once we were able to catch him 99% of the time.

bye!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the activity of play/running stimulating the urge to 'empty'. I built up word association of "quick quick" as a toileting cue for my youngster from the moment he came home. I was able to use that for both urination and defecation. When I wanted to encourage defecation I would go to a spot where he'd last soiled (defecated), point to it (to encourage him to sniff) and give the toilet cue. It worked. So in those early training days, I tended to leave the most recent 'land mine' where it was rather than pick up straight away, although I don't need to do that now (he's now 9mo). It isn't perfect, but I find that if he has it in him, he'll 'go'. I also made it that when he did the first poop of the morning (outside of course) he'd get his breakfast. So he's now in pretty much in that habit now.

We take her out as soon as she eats by carrying her in a blankie - let her run to us a few times outside and the poop comes out within minutes!

Why do you carry her out .... and why in a "blankie" ???

What a sweetie Moosepup. Make sure you join the "chi forum" in the general/breeds area: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=105948

Thanks badboyz but don't be fooled, he is a cheeky bugger!! ;)

I showed him how to use the dog door just once and now he runs inside as soon as I put him outside! He thinks he's so clever. :) I don't think he's actually gone out the door (maybe he thinks it's 1 way???) so this will be tomorrows task to learn. Maybe then he will go out when he pleases to poop.

The frustrating thing atm is that he will do 1 big poop outside (lots of praise and playing from me) and then will come inside and do a couple of pebbles in the house haha. He has been pretty good this weekend though, I have been watching him like a hawk (1 sniff or semi-crouch and he's outside lol). I guess the hard thing is that when we're at work during the week he has free run of the lounge/dining/kitchen area (all tiled) so has to poop inside. I tried penning him but he HATES it and doesn't like being away from the other dog. Oh well, I'm confident we will get there. :clap:

We take her out as soon as she eats by carrying her in a blankie - let her run to us a few times outside and the poop comes out within minutes!

Why do you carry her out .... and why in a "blankie" ???

I read somewhere that she'll least likely go toilet when being carried, seeing that she's still so young and her bladder control is not the greatest. Her blankie calms her whenever she goes out (she's still getting used to our place - it's only our 3rd day with her!) :rofl:

The thing is Madamoisellemika, she won't be learning how to navigate her own way out to go to the toilet. Admittedly, I swiftly picked my boy up in the first couple of days of him being home, to whisk him outside for the very reason you state, but that was not every time - it was only when I saw the need was very urgent.

You only have a tiny dog, but she is just that ..... a dog, no less. Work to reinforce confidence and building her confidence to as much as it can possibly be. She'll need that confidence - especially as to her the world is even so much bigger than it is for many other dogs who are larger. So she needs even more confidence to better have her cope with it through her lifetime. IMO she shouldn't need a blanket for confidence. If she's feeling the chill, try a little dog coat, but promote 'standing on her own four feet' as much as possible. :cheer:

Congratulations on your new pup. Enjoy her. Just try to keep your end goal in mind so you can work towards it. Start as you mean to finish :laugh:.

Cheers

Erny

Edited by Erny

The thing is Madamoisellemika, she won't be learning how to navigate her own way out to go to the toilet. Admittedly, I swiftly picked my boy up in the first couple of days of him being home, to whisk him outside for the very reason you state, but that was not every time - it was only when I saw the need was very urgent.

You only have a tiny dog, but she is just that ..... a dog, no less. Work to reinforce confidence and building her confidence to as much as it can possibly be. She'll need that confidence - especially as to her the world is even so much bigger than it is for many other dogs who are larger. So she needs even more confidence to better have her cope with it through her lifetime. IMO she shouldn't need a blanket for confidence. If she's feeling the chill, try a little dog coat, but promote 'standing on her own four feet' as much as possible. :cheer:

Congratulations on your new pup. Enjoy her. Just try to keep your end goal in mind so you can work towards it. Start as you mean to finish :laugh:.

Cheers

Erny

Thanks for the advice Erny... I guess I'm still not 100% sure when she REALLY needs to go and we live on the 15th floor but what you say makes sense too so I'll ease her gently into going toilet when she's used to a lead. At this point, she keeps biting the lead when we it on her. :love: