The Official March Challenge Thread

ruthless

What is it? I need time to prepare so I can hit the ground running at 12.01am :rolleyes:

ETA ...

Okay Ruthless can you please transfer this to your first post :laugh:

The theme for March is 'the ALPHABET'

26 letters in the alphabet and some will be more challenging that others. Have fun exploring your alphabet world!!

For those who want to extend the challenge...

If you are starting to get well aquainted with your camera and wish to challenge yourself a little more, try working this entire month using AV mode ONLY on your camera. No auto mode or P mode, switch it to AV, learn how to change the numbers and work out what happens.

AV means aperture (or opening).

In basic terms, the smaller the number is (1.4, 2.8, 3.5 etc) - the wider the opening is. This lets in lots of light and will give you a faster shutter speed. Because it is faster, not as much background information is captured and this will give you 'bokeh' (blurred background).

The bigger the number (18, 22, 32 etc) - the smaller the opening. This needs more light to create an image so in turn it will have a slower shutter speed. For some situations you may need to use a tripod or firm surface and use the timer in your camera to avoid 'camera shake'.

Have fun, get creative and get aquainted with your camera. :love:

Edited by ruthless

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not too late for February. I'm confined to the house today with four kids and have been running around the house shooting the most random stuff :rolleyes: I think I have managed to cover a few things.

March though... you need to wait until 6pm :laugh:

Okay Ruthless can you please transfer this to your first post :rolleyes:

The theme for March is 'the ALPHABET'

26 letters in the alphabet and some will be more challenging that others. Have fun exploring your alphabet world!!

For those who want to extend the challenge...

If you are starting to get well aquainted with your camera and wish to challenge yourself a little more, try working this entire month using AV mode ONLY on your camera. No auto mode or P mode, switch it to AV, learn how to change the numbers and work out what happens.

AV means aperture (or opening).

In basic terms, the smaller the number is (1.4, 2.8, 3.5 etc) - the wider the opening is. This lets in lots of light and will give you a faster shutter speed. Because it is faster, not as much background information is captured and this will give you 'bokeh' (blurred background).

The bigger the number (18, 22, 32 etc) - the smaller the opening. This needs more light to create an image so in turn it will have a slower shutter speed. For some situations you may need to use a tripod or firm surface and use the timer in your camera to avoid 'camera shake'.

Have fun, get creative and get aquainted with your camera. :laugh: