Data/photos Recovery

chezzyr

It has happened. One of my external hard drives has spat the dummy and computer is

throwing up messages about corrupted drive, corrupted files etc.

It is an 80 gig hard drive, when I click on properties it is showing as atleast 60 gig full.

However when I go to look at the folders as thumbnails alot of the folders are

missing, can't see them at all by refreshing or even rebooting.

The folders that are showing (and are ok/accessible) equate to 36 gig.

I don't even want to begin to think about what folders are missing, I just

want to try and fix.

What can I do?

Thanks P, yes I know that is possibly/probably an option but want to know if that is my only option

as I don't know any computer shops personally. At the very least I would like to know what to

expect, perhaps from others who have had similar issues. I don't want to go getting ripped off.

Maybe if anyone knows of someone reputable in the Melbourne area who may be able to help?

Or is there any software available to DIY?

OH is reasonably cluey about building computers and other things but don't

think he has done any data recovery stuff?

Edited by chezzyr

I'm pretty sure there is software out there to do it, I just don't know what it is!

This is one that I know works for cards and the like, but you'll have to check it out to see if it works for HDs too -> PhotoRescue It may only do cards, I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of more help!!

My other half is running a disk check on it, its taking a long time, all fingers crossed though.

Got your message Persephone, thanks. Will see what the go is after this disk check process.

The main thing for now is I am able to access the important folders I needed and make backups of them.

In this case there were a couple of folders I hadn't had a chance to (normally I try to have 2-3 copies

of everything). Once I have grabbed the stuff I need we will be formatting the drive and buying new

ones as well.

Edited by chezzyr

We're just pricing them new ones now - need firewire or our computers run too slow. They are very ouch prices though.

It's great you got the drive back, P had suggested the same as G did, run the test, but he was already doing it.

Edit to add: did you go out to dinner, or cook something fantastic? We're just celebrating the rain and not having to go walkabout from fires again: with salmon steaks.

Edited by PossumCorner