Neutered At What Age?

Guest scottiebear

Guest scottiebear

How old should a Wheaten Terrier(med. size dog)be before being neutered? Our contract says 6mos(non-breeding) and now I'm not so sure. What to do?

:thumbsup: I was told do it at 6 months, so true to my word at age 6 months exactly, i booked Jinta in for desexing. Shes female :) ..

anyway she seemed to come into heat the very morning of the operation, she seemed to have a slight period!!!! ;) I took her to the vets and he decided it was ok to do the op anyway. I was later told this was wrong of the vet to do this. :thumbsup:

She came through her op with no complications at all, and is fine.

was she just an early developer?? i thought that doing it at age 6 months was before the 1st season, or whatever you call a dog period?. :mad

Females can come into heat anywhere from 6 months to a year of age. My female Sibe came into heat about a week before she was scheduled to be spayed, so we had to wait about a month and a half until we were able to get her into the vet again for her spay op.

I took her to the vets and he decided it was ok to do the op anyway. I was later told this was wrong of the vet to do this. 

Not wrong at all.

For a bitch in season, the risk of bleeding out during surgery is slightly increased...... however....... if you have a decent vet who is just a bit more careful, as you found Jinta, the bitch will come through surgery just fine.

Better to desex during a season (or when pregnant) than possibly end up with a litter that was never meant to be.

Hmm, is it fair to put into a contract that the new owners MUST desex by 6 months? I mean, my boy won't be getting desexed at 6 months. Vet said we should wait 'til 8 months or so, as his testicles haven't descended yet. He said it could be done before if we were dead set on it, but he'd rather wait. Frankly, I agree. Rather get those bits on the outside where they're easier to get at than have the vet have to dig around for them (apologies if that sounds crude). I understand the need to desex, of course, but why does there have to be such a rush? If I had a contract for Tooz saying he had to be desexed at 6 months, I gotta say I'd be thinking about breaking it, given his current testicular status. Sure I'll get him desexed, but when HE'S ready, not when some piece of paper says it should be done.

'Scuse me while I got get my asbestos undies on... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I got both my two (male and female) desexed at 6 months. As they are littermates, I really didn't want to risk a pregnancy, and it was convenient if they were done together. It's much easier to keep both dogs quiet, rather than trying to keep the non-operatered dog away from the dog with the stitches. Plus I also thought it would be less stressful for them, if they went in together. Moral support.

It really hasn't affected either of them in way.

Guest scottiebear

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'll wait a little before calling for an appointment as Scottie's testicles haven't dropped completely yet. And I really don't think the breeder is going to come after me to check just yet, she was quite confident that we are responsible. The non-breeder contract is a guideline and I'm sure our vet supports our decision if there were any questions.

Thanks again all. :thumbsup:

Why dont you get your vet to check? We got Bayley desexed at 10 months and I wish we had done it sooner and got it over with while he was smaller and more manageable lol.

My bitch came into season about a week before she was going to be desexed, so we had to wait. She was just over 6 months when she came into season

I've wondered the same myself about my golden retriever boy who is a 2 days off 14 weeks old. His balls haven't dropped...but he humps EVERYTHING - ESPECIALLY a poor little female dog at puppy class. I'm worried because I dont know what age he can start impregnanting girls and he's just hump-mad!!! Also just this week his wee has started to change smell and he appears to have started marking!! With me and Aaron standing there in shock going noooo don't start that! We want you desexed before you start cocking your leg everywhere!!!!

He doesnt cock his leg yet.. but gosh he's developing fast. He's also very naughty when he tries to be dominant. Should I desex him early??

His balls haven't dropped...but he humps EVERYTHING -
and he's just hump-mad!!!
Also just this week his wee has started to change smell and he appears to have started marking!!
He's also very naughty when he tries to be dominant.
We want you desexed before you start cocking your leg everywhere!!!!
Should I desex him early??

2 words................. HELL YES!!!

He is already showing signs of dominance and it is only going to get worse as he gets older and still has his testicles.

He WILL start to cock his leg on everything very soon.

If you seriously want to stop that behaviour as well as seeing the humping decrease then desex ASAP!!

Training is going to be your best friend through all of this but get rid of the testosterone thats about to start surging through him and he piddle to empty his bladder not to inform all and sundry that he is the boss!

Humping other dogs is a sure way to offend most other dogs and he'll get the snot knocked out of him when he decides to try it on a dog more dominant than him.

(and by 14wks his testicles should have dropped. They may not be easily visable, but the should be just inside the sac if you have a quick poke around. :( )

Guest scottiebear

Wouldn't you know it the breeder called today :) She left a message and as I didn't get home till 9:30(son at volleyball tournament) I called and spoke to her husband. I explained the situation and they are fine with that. He said no problem just keep them informed. Scottie has humped a few times, his pillow, and a toy and I'll keep him close just in case at obed. class. This Sunday will be his 2nd class and he was more interested in running away from a Staffie who wanted to get at Scottie's fur. I'm sure he was wondering what all the "fluff" was about. But I don't want him done too soon. Technically he is not quite 6mos yet, few more wks. I'll call our vet tomorrow and maybe set up a previsit just in case breeder questions this. As the wife is really the "boss" I'll probably talk to her tomorrow and give her an update. Actually I'm glad she called as this yet again assures me she is a responsible breeder!! :(

Thanks again for your comments everyone!!

Sue and Scottie

2 words................. HELL YES!!!
(and by 14wks his testicles should have dropped. They may not be easily visable, but the should be just inside the sac if you have a quick poke around.  )

Oh good, that makes me feel better. I'll organise to get it sometime next week, around mine and my partners days off so we can take him and keep an eye on him. I'll feel so much more relaxed when he does have them off, he was a disgrace yesterday at puppy class as far as humping goes! I went off for a few mins to come back to grab something out of the trainer's car, I came back and he said "Mel....your dog.." I said "let me guess, humping everything?" and everyone else laughed and sure enough, he was trying to hump a little dachie who was sooooo tiny that he stood right over her so she kept walking backwards under his legs!!