Yucky Grooming Question

!Kristen!

Ok im so sorry if this makes u spew but i need to ask...

Chanel (Longhaired) is constantly getting poo stuck in her fur (at the bottom end):) . I have tried cutting just the ends of the hair off so that the poo will fall off, but she doesnt like being touched at that end. She wont let me go anywere near that area. Im scared that i might accidently poke her with the scissors. is there any other way i can go about doing this?

i hope you wearnt eating when you read that :):rofl:

Ok im so sorry if this makes u spew but i need to ask...

Chanel (Longhaired) is constantly getting poo stuck in her fur (at the bottom end):) . I have tried cutting just the ends of the hair off so that the poo will fall off, but she doesnt like being touched at that end. She wont let me go anywere near that area. Im scared that i might accidently poke her with the scissors. is there any other way i can go about doing this?

i hope you wearnt eating when you read that :):rofl:

Try slowly de-sensitising her by feeding her a special treat whenever you slowly touch her behind, hopefully she will get used to being touched there and even come to like it :worship:

Not sure why she gets poo there though, is her actual poo solid? Reilly has a big collie bottom but he never gets anything stuck there, so maybe you could just make sure it's groomed properly once she gets used to it.

Nat

Its not big chunks, its just small little drops. I think i really should pay a lot more attention to her bottom area. At the moment im only really grooming that area once every 3 weeks :) But its just so uncomfortable for her and its a nuisance. Shes fine with any other are of her body. Shes just sensitive there. But i understand why shes like that, i wouldnt like it either :)

Edited by social~butterfly

Do not laugh my brother clipped a "tunnel" at the back of his dog so it would not get stuck.

If all else fails. :)

OMG how did he possibly manage that??? wouldnt it be uncomfortable for the dog??? :):rofl:

Edited by social~butterfly

Hi Butterfly

As a fellow collie owner i sympathise fully, but if its only little drops you have been lucky so far - wait until she gets a stomach bug.

Disgusting though it is i find any small amounts mine just cleans up herself. Though it isnt that often, perhaps a change of diet might be advisable in your case. Grass burrs are much more of a hazard. My collie also hates that end being touched. To be honest we tried training her out of that with daily brushing, bribery and even sedation - vet thought if she wasnt stressed being brushed she would desentise quicker hence the mild sedatives. After 2 months i admitted defeat and warily called in a groomer, warned them she would be difficult and would not rule out her snapping. She made me look dumb by behaving impeccably. Im afraid this breed has intelligence as big as their coat and soon work out they can get away with anything when its their owner in charge. She has a groomer once a month, their dryers are great, far better than at getting out loose hair.

as for that occasional stomach bug, i recommend tying up and using the hose rather than the cutting technique - less traumatic for you and her.

Dogdayz

Peanut Butter !

A while back someone suggested smearing some peanut butter on the fridge door to keep the dog occupied,

it works !

It sounds yuk, but just smear a good large area with peanut butter (not thick) and have someone hold the rear end of the dog and quickly clip the area,

I have a long haired cat that forever needs a trim , I just put margarine on a plate for him and quickly snip the area.

Edited to add, don't forget to clean the door afterwards :)

Edited by Christina77

Hi Social~Butterfly

Unfortunately, a Collie that has not been trained to lie on its side & be groomed from a youngster can be (sometimes) difficult to groom. He/she hasnt learnt that it is easier for everyone if they do so. I agree with Tess32 though, you can try to teach her now by offering her nibbles whilst you groom. Dont get cross with her, a Collie picks up on you being cross & it often makes them more stubborn :worship: It may be a lengthy learning venture though :) . The "back end" though is often a touchy subject for many dogs.

You definately need to groom her more often than each 3 weeks. The ideal is daily or at least every 2nd day (10-15 minutes). You can get away with once a week if need be but it will be a longer grooming session because of that (about half an hour).

Ever noticed a female dog after she has "toileted"?? She will immediately sit to clean herself. If she hasnt waited for those last couple of "drops" to fall she will simply "sit them into her hair" - thus those small dried pieces of poo :) .

Males will also suffer this fate - so watch out Tess32 :rofl:

The easiest way to get rid of these nasties is a broad toothed comb. Doesnt hurt them if you do it kindly - just comb it out. Hold her tail upwards whilst you do this. She definately will not like it at first if she hasnt had it done before, but with encouragement & patience she will get used to it.

You can also "crutch" her hair from the area if you prefer.

Good luck, if you need any more info let me know, am happy to help if I can :worship:

I've never seen poo around Reilly's bum...it just um, seems to fall nicely..heheh.

I do that bum bit daily though cos if I do it every three days it gets very boofy and takes longer to do. So I do both "ends" daily and the middle bit about three times a week, because that doesn't get knotty at all.

Social Butterfly, try giving Chanel something to chew on as well. I *give* Reilly a an old brush to chew (no hard bristles on it) and a pig ear to chew on while I groom him, and after a while he just settles down, lays down to chew. I've gotten him used ot me turning him onto his other side too by feeding him a treat whenever I do so, it makes life a lot easier.

Where are you grooming her too, inside or out? Reilly is hopeless outside but inside by the tv he settles down a lot better. And always finish up by rewarding her with some play time if she's behaved herself.

Nat

You definately need to groom her more often than each 3 weeks

I groom her every 3 days (at the least) for about 5 minutes. What i meant when i said that i only groom that area every 3 weeks was that i only groom under her tail around every 3 weeks. This is because my mum helps me with the dificult spots. And she sets aside a day every three weeks for dog grooming time, meaning monique (poodle) gets a hair cut, bayleas nails are cut and all of the dogs get flea treated. Other than that i do all of the grooming myself. Thank you for the advice.

And in response to tess- I groom chanel outside in the garage. She sits patiently while i groom her. The only difficult thing for me was to make her stand as she has been trained to sit when groomed *my mistake :) ".

Another thing- the peanut butter trick is a good idea, i remember reading about it on DOL aswell. I will definatly give that a try 2morrow!!

We give dogs at work a 'racing stripe' - mostly little dogs actually, I'm usually surprised that SWF with hardly any bottom hair are always covered in poo when huskies, mals and samoyed with big fluffy bums are always clean.

I suppose if we wanted to talk diet (and runny poo) little dogs are generally not fed as many bones as big dogs and thus suffer the runny poos (god, can I PLEASE stop talking about dog poo for 5mins! :) )

If you are thinking of sissoring it off, point the sissors to the ground and cut down the bum -- for godsake don't cut up towards the tail, I heard of a groomer who did that with a samoyed and the samoyed sat down and ... well yeah right through his leg! Didn't think you could get sissors that sharp.

D hates getting his tail brushed, getting better lately, I brush him every 2 days so I think that helps. I just grab him (the 40kg lump) around the middle, and brush his the underside of his tail, brush his body .. praise praise... then do the tail again. So I don't focus on his tail, just do it when he's enjoying the other brushes.

Hi,

I have Bedlington Terriers and they are prone to "dags" as well. I think that the idea of gradually desensitising her to having that area touched is a good idea.

All I can offer is my experience - I groom my boys all over every day and whilst they are used to it and generally enjoy it - the areas they least like 1) around the anus 2) their feet 3) their front leg "pits" and 4) their tails. But I persist. I tend to "crutch" them every 3 weeks when I use a blunt ended scissors to get most of the wool away and then finish it with very small embroidery scissors. They don't like it, they do yelp but slowly the cacophony is reducing. :) I have a 3 week rotation - week one - feet and toes; week 2 - eyes, ears and mouth; week 3 - crutching. If I did it all at one time - the neighbours would call the RSPCA especially with Keeshah.

Aili

PS I am a typical nurse - the only bodily excretion/secretion that makes me :) is sputum - anything else I will gleefully discuss :rofl:

Edited by Aellyssa

Hi S~B,

It's a term borrowed from shearing. You probably have seen sheep that have had shorter wool around their anus & urethra & down their legs. I do the same with my dogs - I make sure that their wool is very short around their anus (including the first 2-4 cm of their under tail), I do the same around their penis. They certainly watch me very carefully when I am doing that :) . It does help if the dog has been castrated. (They probably don't think so :) )

Aili

PS There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Edited by Aellyssa

S~B

If you can only get to the tail area each 3 weeks then the only thing you can try is to crutch around the anus. Great description Aili :) . This would get the hair away from the problem area & hopefully stop poo sticking. Then just tidy up the trimming every 3 weeks to keep it neat. And as Aili said, use blunt edged scissors. Get your mum to hold her if you have trouble with her sitting. A good way to stop them sitting is to cradle one arm under her tummy (just in front of her back legs) & the other arm over her back, then join hands or wrap hands around arms. Obviously dont crush though :rofl: If I have a difficult one when I am working on the back end this is what I get someone to do for me.

I am sorry that I took it you only groomed each 3 weeks, I must learn to read properly :)

firstly lets say the dog has you well trained it doesnt want its bum brushed & its all to hard so you do it less.

The fact is the dog will allow you to brush there if you become the leader & not except the behaviour.

In a breed like collie the bum area needs to be brushed regualr especially in summer to ensure the ags arent there & to lesser the risk of her becoming fly blowen & we have groomed a few collies that have become that why & its awful.

Kaisie was touchy around the rear end when she came here - Our friend in Canada put me onto T-touch - no problem any more.

The book is called "Getting in touch with your Dog" by Linda Tellington-Jones.

Still have to clip the nails tho :thumbsup:

cheers

Hi, I would also have handy a Rinseless Shampoo ( you spray it on, towel through the hair and then with a clean towel dry off the hair).this stuff is very handy if a Collie has an upset tummy.

Need to check that her anus is not scoured ( red and angry looking ) as this might be the reason Chanel does not want you touching her there as it will be sore.

Good Luck

Hi all!

thank you all for your help. I attempted to remove the poo today, and it was a sucess(spelling?). Now that i have the hang of it i will definitly do it more often. It is now a part of her daily grooming routine. I used the peanut butter trick :mad she was so interested in the peanut butter she diddnt even move the slightest when i lifted her tail. It took a good 20 minutes (with plenty of breaks in between) BUT WE DID IT!!! here is a photo of her lickin off the remains of the penut butter.

p.s~ i diddnt post a pic of her beautifully clean bottome, for her sake :thumbsup: and for yours :thumbsup:

post-22-1099637494.jpg