Troy

Collies - (rough And Smooth)

1,448 posts in this topic

thowra   

Hi

I am starting to research my next breed dog (hopefully to get in the next year or two) and have always loved collies. I have spent the last 2 days reading through this whole thread!

Does anyone know of any breeders in the newcastle nsw region who wouldn't mind me getting in contact with them, get to know their dogs a bit and see if it's the breed for me?

Kathy

I'm not sure where Newcastle is Thowra (now there's a name you have to love! :) ) but if you pm me I will fish out a contact for Jane Doyle of Talcott Smooth collies for you. She is lovely and will point you in the right direction if she can't help. :) She has a website but I think it needs up dating.

Thanks Mita I think Collie rescue are on to him already they are so quick sometimes!

Edited by Natsu chan

mita   

Thanks Mita I think Collie rescue are on to him already they are so quick sometimes!

Yes, I heard from the lovely Qld Collie Rescue lady. She knows about him & that he's perfectly safe with AWL Qld. Here's hoping that word spreads among the people who have experience with this lovely breed.

Elwira   

Dear friends I would like present one male puppy from our new litter > if somebody remembers our OBELIX (www.actis.collie.pl/obelix.html) this is his younger half-brother.

Moter is the same Multi Ch. IDEA Actis, sire is GB.Ch, double Cruft's Winner Jopium TOUCH OF SOUL for Triburle (well known stud dog).

14806966344_2c2cb6ec03_z.jpg

14622592070_69d8bb973a_z.jpg

This is the largest puppy in the litter, very promising I hope he will find show home:

14701303230_0440b6c7b9_z.jpg

14864982876_4b8f1ea4b6_z.jpg

14885501534_28edd1d380_z.jpg

His sister (gorgeous girl):

14701396658_0866a34444.jpg

If someone is curious, this is the photo album with all puppies: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157646021319136/

We have also wonderful male puppy born 06.07.2014 from another litter (also very strong puppy with beautiful coat) he is CEA normal eye (+/-), PRA +/+, DM +/+, MDR+/+ or +/-, three generations in his pedigree are hips scored and HD-A free, 6% USA bloodline, he will be dark sable (sable with tricolour factor):

14859013994_926ac764d4_z.jpg

14860391532_7076d8c3c6_z.jpg

14674097670_fc23db59cf_z.jpg

14674766779_b37ca739be_z.jpg

His parents:

Edited by Elwira

Elwira   

Thanks Natsu chan good I'm not the only one who thinks that they are gorgeous :-P this is a great litter. I always like the most IDEA's puppies.

Pity that this forum is not very active... I guess everyone write on Facebok.

I made new video presentation of IDEA and OTIS:

I think that this melody fits good... but I'm curious about opinions.

Edited by Elwira

Elwira   

Our pupies - 7 weeks old;

ps: short news-> our Multi Ch. FANTAZJA Actis won BOB on Club Show -she's Club Winner 2014

15135895740_c818b9d101.jpg

15136036498_ae85867883.jpg

15135875539_ea4220846a.jpg

The new hair just starting to grow, needs a few months more. But the color is already very nice - dark sable. She's 23months old now.

Edited by Elwira

Elwira   

Our nev hope - "Teri"

(GB.Ch. Cruft's Winner Jopium TOUCH OF SOUL for Triburle + Multi Ch. IDEA Actis)

15697398192_cb4649110e.jpg

a little younger:

15315547920_7d0e445d06.jpg

15479142516_ed23d6ab14.jpg

In case anyone is interested, an 11 yr old Smooth Collie was surrendered into Hawkesbury Pound last week.

He is ok with other dogs and people/kids etc but not cats. He has not been housetrained but I can help anyone with that if they are interested!

Poor old boy deserves better at his age.

Hi everyone, just a quick question about the rough Collie - I was recently watching some Crufts videos and noticed a comment made by the rough collie BOB winner. He said something like that he was happy they had that particular judge because that judge liked 'proper collies', and this breeder bred 'proper collies'. Can anyone clarify what he means here? Is he referring to differing types within the breed? Thanks :)

Yes he is referring to different types within the breed. :)

The US and the UK have two different standards so you already some variance of type with in the breed but there is also a difference between what some people call the modern Collie and the classic Collie.

A few links for you:

http://kensingtongatecollies.com/pure_english_breed.html

http://www.roughian.hr/stranice/Breed.htm

Thanks for the reply :)

So after a bit of reading, I understand the difference between the USA and UK types. I assume (being in the UK) that the Crufts breeder was referring to UK type collies as proper collies. Where can I see examples of the modern vs classic collies? Thanks!

Brightstar you will find talking about the collie as a modern or classic collie is like opening pandoras box. So I will just link this page here so you can see. These are all crufts winners (crufts is the biggest and most important dog show in the UK). The link below is a European breeder who has photos and pedigrees on her site. Ladypark Collies where very famous around the wars and into the 60's.

Look at the ones at the bottom of the page and then at the ones at the top. :) The smooths have not changed much.

http://www.collielife.com/Cruftswinners.html

http://www.julianina.com/pedigree/collie/light-cavalry-of-ladypark

Yes I thought it could be a bit of a tricky topic, I'm much more familiar with many of the gun dog breeds and discussion of show vs working type etc can get very heated!

I'm just curious as I met a (rare) rough collie the other day and the appearance of the dog came as somewhat of a surprise to me! Some of the smooths on that Crufts page you linked have such beautiful heads, they seem to have slightly larger eyes but still with the proper shape?

So I guessed I have worked out that I really like classic (perhaps more like USA type?) collies with eyes that are probably a bit big to be correct :laugh:

Thanks for explaining, I was just interested in learning a bit more as they are such a rare breed now and I never see them anymore.

No you don't see many. I love the old Ladypark Collies myself.

The first blue merle on this page is one of my favourite dogs and fired my love of blues. He was the most stunning dog in the flesh.

http://www.helencatherinecramer.com/dogs/Grand%20Champions.html

My girl comes from this kennel and while a rough she is mostly smooth breeding. Smooths haven't changed a lot.

http://talcottsmoothcollies.com/

post-16956-0-09284800-1432904425_thumb.jpg

post-16956-0-28503600-1432904442_thumb.jpg

Meea   

Can anyone point me to Australian products for taping or gooping ears.

Lots of online US product thats not avail here.

Meea   

Natsu chan

They tip well but one ear is lazy. 5mths so teething. (Show side of course!) Needs bracing I guess? Lots of US online help but the products are not available here.

Since posting I am doing ok with fabric tape.