2009 Brags Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, not posted in here before but just a quick question Is a mock trial the same thing as we have in Qld when we do sweepstakes? Trainee judges and need to get 150 in CD before you can actually trial in Novice or is it more like a formalised ring run out?

The BC worked nicely for a youngster congrats..

A mock trial is the real deal except you don't get marked and are not for competition.

A sweepstakes is still a competition IMO.

IMO a mock trial should allow the handler to reward the dog at any stage of the performance however they see fit, unfortunately that is more than often not the case. :thumbsup:

A mock trial is the real deal except you don't get marked and are not for competition.

A sweepstakes is still a competition IMO.

IMO a mock trial should allow the handler to reward the dog at any stage of the performance however they see fit, unfortunately that is more than often not the case. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, :rofl: I think I agree with you if it is not for competition you would think you could reward as the handler sees fit...

How's that second pass (in a row no less!) feel Rubystar?

Umm, not sure :laugh: Makes me nervous cos I'm edging closer to seeing how Ruby handles it all offlead! We train offlead the majority of the time anyway, and have done a mock trial in the novice ring once and she stayed with me (though a bit laggy due to heat), but it's a whole 'nuther ball game being offlead in a real trial with the nerves thick in the air! Her retrieve needs tidying up, and COP as she comes a bit forward when she drops. So we gots work to do!

We have a wee brag too. Miss Koori did her final CCD trial today and in spite of the nitwit on the end of the lead(yes that would be me) having a major mental flake out. She managed an 85 pass and third.

That's awesome! :laugh: So when is your first novice trial? :rofl:

As for the turns PAX - hmmm actually still need to break them down and work on them separately. Her left about turns need more work and they do actually need to be trained properly . Her RATs are better than her sisters so at least I have improved my ability to train somewhat.

I think left, and left about turns are the two most important things that are rarely taught properly in heeling.

Nice work Ness, and congrats to everybody on their passes.

I would tend to agree there DD - I know my older girl's turns aren't to crash hot but not the end of the world for the first dog I have trained. I have been doing lots of perch work with my younger girl and that has been the extent of our turn practice although I actually don't think her LAT in the ring yesterday was to bad all things being considered. I rewatched the video this morning and the missed sit in the figure 8 which I first thought was due to the "scary" figure 8 post I have come to the conclusion was more to do with the fact I had rewarded her just prior to the halt and she probably hadn't completely eaten her treat :rofl: .

congratulations to you and Ruby :(

Thanks! So you guys are back then? Hope you had a fantastic time!! :scared:

Sure did :o here is a pic of the retriever demo, the whole 4 days was mindblowing. I don't really like the UK european heelwork, the dogs ( some of them) must have very sore necks.

post-4114-1237792103_thumb.jpg

Sure did :thumbsup: here is a pic of the retriever demo, the whole 4 days was mindblowing. I don't really like the UK european heelwork, the dogs ( some of them) must have very sore necks.

That demo looks great :eek: What's different in the European heelwork that would give them sore necks? Heads up?

A brag of a slightly different kind today......we had our house inspection this morning and the owner of the property turned up with the real estate agent. The landlord was SO impressed with Ziggy and how beautifully behaved he was that he asked me if I would be interested in assisting a relative of his with an out of control 8 year old Golden Retriever :D

Yep its heads up heelwork Rubystar - if you look on youtube and search for crufts obedience you will probably find some clips.

How is that different from here? Is it mandatory there or something? A lot of dogs heel with their head up here and I think it looks lovely! If only my little monster would maintain it :laugh::rofl: Though I have noticed in some of those Crufts clips that the dog is practically velcroed to the handler's leg, so much so that I don't know how they don't trip over the dog!

A brag of a slightly different kind today......we had our house inspection this morning and the owner of the property turned up with the real estate agent. The landlord was SO impressed with Ziggy and how beautifully behaved he was that he asked me if I would be interested in assisting a relative of his with an out of control 8 year old Golden Retriever :rofl:

That's awesome! :D Are you gonna help? :o

Sure did :laugh: here is a pic of the retriever demo, the whole 4 days was mindblowing. I don't really like the UK european heelwork, the dogs ( some of them) must have very sore necks.

I can't get the link to work but would love to watch it. :rofl:

Why would the UK style heeling dogs get sore necks??? :rofl: I try very hard to get that level of attention and up heelwork.

These dogs are taught to heel like that from a very yong age, a step at a time and they heel them on both sides so the muscles are even.

I wish my dogs could heel like that.

A brag of a slightly different kind today......we had our house inspection this morning and the owner of the property turned up with the real estate agent. The landlord was SO impressed with Ziggy and how beautifully behaved he was that he asked me if I would be interested in assisting a relative of his with an out of control 8 year old Golden Retriever :rofl:

That's awesome! :( Are you gonna help? :laugh:

I gave him my card :laugh:

Off to FOO again this evening - first and foremost I just want to plug the lovely judges and stewards who put us through our paces each week. They are so generous with their knowledge and time and always make you feel very welcome as a newbie :(:thanks:

Tonight we were outside for the first time and despite all the tempting smells, Zig worked pretty well. The judge said we would have lost around 3 points for heelwork and she gave me a few things to work on. Everything else was great fun! A few drops of rain started to fall during the stays so Zig just whined the whole time :D I have been a bit naughty and not practised stays much so, for the down stay, he was looking very confused and bored as we have been doing COP for some fun. In the end he just put his head between his paws, gave a big sigh and resigned himself to the exercise :rofl:

Sure did :offtopic: here is a pic of the retriever demo, the whole 4 days was mindblowing. I don't really like the UK european heelwork, the dogs ( some of them) must have very sore necks.

I can't get the link to work but would love to watch it. :cry:

Why would the UK style heeling dogs get sore necks??? :) I try very hard to get that level of attention and up heelwork.

These dogs are taught to heel like that from a very yong age, a step at a time and they heel them on both sides so the muscles are even.

I wish my dogs could heel like that.

I guess you are right as a judge told us they train like that as 8 week old pups, I suppose it is the same as the ladies in Africa with many necklaces round their necks but it makes me feel ill. The handlers also have a way of walking which looks like they have a sixpence between their buttocks :( The international comp was much nicer and the judge threw in a jump dumbell retrieve which many dogs had not seen before. The judge can use any rules from any country, we told people around that we do that in OZ. Sorry I didn't take any video of obedience, I really didn't enjoy it and left to look at agility in the main arena which was heaps of fun.