Dog Treat's

rish

Speaking of dog treat's,what would /do you all feed your pet's with ?

We use the "love em" liver/chicken bit's,i did try the "greenies" but they hated it.

I also seem to go through alot of the dog bone chew's (you know the big 1s that are made for chewing on)

Leigh has this week lost about 3 teeth,so something to chew on really saved the dining tables legs !.

Also what do you think of raw chicken neck's ?

I get raw bones 1c weekly as well.

And does anybody have a idea on how to stop bad breath ? (apart from the tooth-brush ),i though that if they had healthy food,it wouldn't be a problem ? and Leigh's rear end :) the smell is a killer !

When I was fostering a Kelpie cross Staffie a few years back, I froze some of his wet food (1-2 table spoons) in an ice cream container with water. he loved these and would play with them and eat them.

If your dog is an inside dog Im not sure what else you can do... Chicken necks frozen may also help the chewing and provide a yummy treat.

Good Luck!!

Sonia

I buy a few kilos of chicken liver and put them in the dehydrator, alot cheaper then the store bought liver and free of and preservatives ect.

i pay $1.70 a kilo

Wow, where do you get chicken livers for that price. I've only ever paid about $5 - $7 a kg.

Raw meaty bones are good for the teeth & breath. Also may need the anal glands expressed. RMB will also harden the motions & naturally clear the anal glands.

I buy a few kilos of chicken liver and put them in the dehydrator, alot cheaper then the store bought liver and free of and preservatives ect.

i pay $1.70 a kilo

Wow, where do you get chicken livers for that price. I've only ever paid about $5 - $7 a kg.

Raw meaty bones are good for the teeth & breath. Also may need the anal glands expressed. RMB will also harden the motions & naturally clear the anal glands.

not sure were about your from but i get them in Eastwood, Sydney NSW

For treats I feed boiled chicken, any left over bits of meat we have cut into small pieces, kabana/sausage, occasionally the 4legs dog food cut into halves etc.

But for teeth I just make sure I feed lots of raw meaty bones, chicken frames/wings, lamb necks etc.

If you are offended by the smell from Leigh's behind I would suggest get him/her on a stable diet, a premium kibble or BARF ( though I don't know enough about it to guide you there are plenty of threads on it if you search.)

It's my opinion that you shouldn't be feeding them enough treats that it affects their farts.

Although if I feed Knuckles beef bones an hour later she can strip wallpaper. :rofl: She now gets turkey knecks instead.

Edit: I am assuming the rear end smell you are talking about is farts. If not I would suggest you take on board peoples comments on anal glands.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by Rob Lawson

I did not think that you were supposed to give greenies to puppies?

If the smell from her bum is metallicy/ fishy then it sounds like anal glands.

If it is really bad breath then you should see your vet to ensure nothing going on in mouth like gum disease, teeth issues etc.