De-sexed Male Dog

My little male dog has a lump about the size of a large grape where his testicles used to be (now that's a sentence I never thought I'd see myself write :thumbsup: )

I've only just noticed it as Teddy has never been amenable to the tummy rub accept when he has just had a bath - then he goes ballistic with the joy of being alive! After his bath yesteday, I noticed this lump for the first time. Is it normal?

Edited by YappyLittleDawg

When was he castrated?

If it was recent,it sounds as if it's scartissue from the op...I just checked Hamlet..who was done about 3 months ago..he doesn't have a lump there.

If he's been castrated for a long time, think about ringing /visiting the vet, maybe....?

:thumbsup:

Edited by persephone

Teddy would have been 'done' quite a while ago - at least a couple of years. He's a rescue dog and was already de-sexed when he turne up in a pound about 2 year ago.

I meant to say that it's a lump that protrudes, not a lump you have to press to feel. It's quite easy to see - it's just I don't often looke there!!!

Pic included for aaaawwwwww factor! :thumbsup:

D came inside one morning and I was rubbing his belly while he was standing and felt something hard... on either side of his penis were two harden lumps, more forward than his testicles would have been if he had any. 5min later they had disappeared, the next morning they were back... however after 2min they were shrinking and I thought perhaps it was related to him just waking up, never actually investigated after his naps.

I figured it was gland related and my friend said it was normal and would happen when he got excited and he's usually wound up when he comes inside first thing. It is apparently involved with the tying during mating.

D has the smallest little 'sack' if it is even still there he's pretty hairy in that area, but these lumps are definately not in that area and more on the penis itself. As mentioned they only swell when he's excitied so if this is the case with Teddy, i wouldn't worry too much. however if they are still there when he's tired and not actually on the shaft I would take him to the vet.

(so... now i've moved on from dog poo to dog weiners - great! :thumbsup: )

Hi Vehs..

My mothers Lab got this aswell.. we took him to the vet years ago he is about 12 -13 now and the vet said it happens when they get excited. He doesn't get all that excited now though ye old fella!.

Hiya Yappy, My sisters rescue dog TACO, had/has a lump around that area, turned out it was a hernia...? He did have one removed before she got him but there is another small one there, she has had him to the vet re that plus he had KC, not sure what she is doing re it, it could have been removed not sure.

AWW teddy... what a cute little scruffy bum!

A hernia would be soft to touch and you'd (usually) be able to poke it and feel it squish back in.

All males get the lumps on their shaft when they are excited/aroused. It's normal and if desexed as an older pup/dog, it remains (not visible at all times though obviously).

If the lump is hard and where his testicles used to be (ie: where the scotum is) I would have it checked by a vet just to be sure. If he is not at all bothered by it, has no trouble urinating, no blood in his urine or any other symptoms, I wouldn't be too worried though.

Jut better to be safe than sorry, :thumbsup:

All males get the lumps on their shaft when they are excited/aroused. It's normal and if desexed as an older pup/dog, it remains (not visible at all times though obviously).

My boys get little swellings on either side of their penis when they need to urinate. I use it as a method to decide if someone curled up near the fire can stay there or will be turfed outside to pee. :thumbsup:

Hi LYD,

the lump there isn't the scrotum is it? When most dogs are castrated the scrotum is still there. It tends to shrink quite a lot when empty.......lol. I only bother saying this because i have had people ask what it is on my desesed boy. On a hairy little fellow you probably just havn't noticed.

Teddy is out of surgery and doing fine (he went in a day earlier than expected) :):confused: :D :D

Can't say the same for "mum" though as I am still reeling from the $490 bill.

No bath for 10 days - well, that's just as well, as he goes absolutlely nutzoid after a bath - that's probably what made the hernia pop in the first place :) No wonder they've sprayed him with "girly" smelling stuff, enough to last 10 days, I reckon - poor little guy, how humiliatin' ;) ;)