Vaccinations

I'm curious to know if people have a preference as to what brand of vaccs they give their dogs ?,e.g the company that makes it. Or do you just leave it up to the vet as to what brand of vaccs they give your dog? Are there any brands that you would not use?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32
I just do what the vet says... He trained for however many years to be able to advise me...

Maybe Im too conditioned... :S

So what does he advise you? :cry:

What do I use......

I use Nobivac DHP, made in Australia at Bendigo.

Why ?.

Because it has less distance to travel.

I am not sure how well some other brands are packaged to travel around the world.

personally I only use c3, just had my 12 week old pup given his 2nd vacc. But i did ask the vet what brand c3 he was going to use, i told him i'm not a fan of fort dodge's vaccs, due to BAD experience with proheart12. Anyway he was cool with my views, and even agreed to titre when the need arises. But he did mention that not many clients question what vacc their dogs get, which i find interesting, i think too many people put blind faith in their vet. I did this last june and again in december, didn't question the vet cause i thought he'd know best, and now the dog that he treated for me is dead. since then i've found a fantastic vet, one that actually listens to you, not treat you like an idiot cause you don't have a degree.

my girl hs had the c3 c5 and sposed to go for the c7. then there is a booster of the c5 aswell.

Just how many vaccinations does your vet do ?.

One at eight weeks and one after 12 weeks, maybe at about 4 months, then titre test for anti bodies.

he does 3 not sure on the dates ect, he will send my a reminder card and il call him , then he explains what exactly it does and anything else i need to know, i might call up and see if i really need the last vacs.

personally I only use c3, just had my 12 week old pup given his 2nd vacc. But i did ask the vet what brand c3 he was going to use, i told him i'm not a fan of fort dodge's vaccs, due to BAD experience with proheart12. Anyway he was cool with my views, and even agreed to titre when the need arises. But he did mention that not many clients question what vacc their dogs get, which i find interesting, i think too many people put blind faith in their vet. I did this last june and again in december, didn't question the vet cause i thought he'd know best, and now the dog that he treated for me is dead. since then i've found a fantastic vet, one that actually listens to you, not treat you like an idiot cause you don't have a degree.

Man, I KNOW exactly how your feel about Fort Dodge. It was their ProHeart6 that killed my just turned 4 year old golden retriever back on Oct. 16, 2003. While that crap was causing severe reations and deaths here, they were denying it was their product. Here reactions and deaths are reported to the animal devision of the Food and Drug Adminstration and records are kept. Well, they noticed the HUGE numbers of reactions and deaths and had the Fort odge pull ProHeart6 from the market on Sept. 3, 2004, just abut 10 1/2 months after Hunter's death. In the 3 years it had been on the market it had caused more reactions and deaths than all the other heartworm preventatives combined--and some of the monthly had been out as long as 12 years, the daily for over 25 years.

They still denyed it was their product that had caused all the reactions and deaths and tried to get it back onthe market, but at the FDA hearing Jan. 31, 2005, they could not prove it was safe and denyed re-entry until it had been studied and researched. Finally last summer, after being of for amost 4 years, it was allowed back on but with a ton f warnings on the lable uch as to not give it within a month of any vaccination, not to give it to sick or underweight dogs, use with care when giving it to a dog with any allergy incuding food allergies, etc etc. Also vets had to take class via the computer before they could purchase it from the company. Meanwhile, Fort Dodge claims it has been reformulated and the "residue suspected of causing some reactions the first time out has been removed." But remember it was not their product that killed or cause so many reactions before.

One lady on an all breed forum I belong to actually takes her dog to one vet for some things, to another for others as she refuses to allow her dogs to get any Fort Dodge product. My vet refers to Fort Dodge as "the company you don't like" and never by name. By the way, they pay about half of Hunter's $2300 bill for the week he was in ICU getting tons of meds, transfusions, blood work once or twice a day, round the lock IV, etc. In other areas, the bill would have been over $5000.

I don't thik your dogs get near as many vax as ours do. I ca't remember what all is in the "big one" but I know among the vax they get distemper, parvo, rabies, lepto, lymes, crona (or something like that) Hlatitus, kennelcough (twice a year)I thi there are a couple more stuck in there. And they hae just come out with a "tartar prevention"vax to prevent tartar build up on the dogs teeth. NO THANKS.

I don't vaccinate my dogs, I titer test.

If I had to vaccinate it would only be C3. I don't care about the brand though.

Laffie what is titer test?

By chance I feel onto a Registered Cavalier breeder who doesn't vac her dogs. Well she does but this is how she does it. (she has a lot of links to support this too)

She gets them done as pups and than done at 14 months as the last vac you get done last for 12months not 9 months.

She also said DO NOT give the heart worm shots as this can be very deadly to your dog, she also said only give your dogs the hearworm tablets when mozzies are around and the actual table last for 6 weeks not 4 so they are actually getting an overdose.

She has been doing this for over 20 years and she has NEVER had any cases of parvo or any other diseases that come with it. She has pretty much convinced me 90% as to follow her lead, there is still that 10% thats pulling but Oscar is only 8.5 Months so still got a while to think about it and research and form my own opinion.

whats titer?

A titer test is a blood test to determine whether a dog still has sufficient antibodies in their system to fight the diseases they were vaccinated against. If they do there is no reason to revaccinate.

I give my dogs the absolute minimum vaccinations I can. I have experienced the awful effects of an adverse vaccine reaction with one of my dogs so will not vaccinate unless I feel it is absolutely necessary.

She also said DO NOT give the heart worm shots as this can be very deadly to your dog, she also said only give your dogs the hearworm tablets when mozzies are around and the actual table last for 6 weeks not 4 so they are actually getting an overdose.

This is the exact same information I have from my vet too. :cheer:

My vet suggests vaccinating at 10 weeks (C3 only and nothing before this age) then titer testing at 1 year to ascertain immunity. Then titer testing every 3 years after this.

I'm curious to know if people have a preference as to what brand of vaccs they give their dogs ?,e.g the company that makes it. Or do you just leave it up to the vet as to what brand of vaccs they give your dog? Are there any brands that you would not use?

Oh, and to answer the original question! :cheer:

If I do need to vaccinate, I will find out which brand my vet will be using and research the brand of vaccs and the company too. However, I will also seek my vet's advice (I go to a holistic vet and know that I can discuss the topic with her freely and receive unbiased advice)

whats titer?

A titer test is a blood test to determine whether a dog still has sufficient antibodies in their system to fight the diseases they were vaccinated against. If they do there is no reason to revaccinate.

I give my dogs the absolute minimum vaccinations I can. I have experienced the awful effects of an adverse vaccine reaction with one of my dogs so will not vaccinate unless I feel it is absolutely necessary.

Wow fantastic, so basically that is in a sense supporting what this particular breeder was saying to me. She may very well get that titer test.

I will most definately be doing that, makes me feel more confident about it knowing thats available..

Is it actually called a titer test to the vets and roughly how much does it cost?

Kirra what is a holistic vet and how can I can my grubby hands on one?

Theres nothing worse than going into a vet and having them make you feel guilty. I'm glad I wrote, its making me feel better about the information I was given, not that I didn't trust its just great to hear from other people with the same views.

Wow fantastic, so basically that is in a sense supporting what this particular breeder was saying to me. She may very well get that titer test.

I will most definately be doing that, makes me feel more confident about it knowing thats available..

Is it actually called a titer test to the vets and roughly how much does it cost?

Yes it is called a titer test - not all vets do it though. The Veterinary Association have actually published a newsletter saying that titer testing to ascertain immunity prior to vaccination is now their preferred protocol, however it doesnt seem that all vets have caught up on this yet!

Im not sure on cost in NSW, I have a feeling that the test is sent to Perth to do (not 100% on this though!) so it may be more expensive than it is for us. From memory it is about $100 for us.

Definately worth it from my point of view - the expense of the test far outways the expense of caring for a dog damaged by over vaccinations - believe me! :cheer:

Kirra what is a holistic vet and how can I can my grubby hands on one?

Theres nothing worse than going into a vet and having them make you feel guilty. I'm glad I wrote, its making me feel better about the information I was given, not that I didn't trust its just great to hear from other people with the same views.

lol - my holistic vet is a vet (belongs to the Veterinary Association) but also uses 'holistic' treatments such as acupunture, homeopathics, flower remedies, massage etc. She also promotes raw feeding as opposed to commercial food. So she is able to perform 'traditional' veterinary procedures AND natural therapies.

I really like the fact that I can discuss all of the different options with her - she will advise me on a case by case basis whether a natural approach is appropriate or a traditional procedure will be required. My dogs LOVE going there - her office is such a calm place to be - they just chill out on the carpet the whole time.

This is the website of The Australian Holistic Veterinarians Association. But I cant seem to open the page right now so I cant see if they have a list of members!

www.ahv.com.au/ :cheer: