Vaccinations

:cheer: ha ha now I get ya, I was thinking holistics was that but thought I'd ask anyways.

I've never used natural remedies on dogs but always have when I had the horses.

I shall call my vet when I get home to ask if they do a titer test.

Thank-you for all your lovely help.. :cheer:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just called my vet, he sed he like to give 3 vacs, a c3 at 8 weeks then a c5 at 12 weeks then a c5 booster at 17 weeks, the last is not a must but he sed he will check ouy my girl when i take her in and tell me then.

does this vac plan sound normal to most? im not sure on the brand. ive read on other fourms about people buying the vac's them self and doing it at home or even brining it to to vet and using the product of your choice. is this legal here or did i read it on an american site

Is it actually called a titer test to the vets and roughly how much does it cost?

Hi,

Had my two done yesterday. Diptheria and Parvo titre checked. Hepatitis will cost more as I believe it must be sent overseas for testing. It is sent to Vetpath in WA and cost $125 per dog. I live in country NSW.

Results should be available by the end of the week.

Hope this helps.

ANy vet can do a titre test, it's just a matter of them finding the correct vial to put it in and sending it of to vetpath(WA). If your vet won't or doesn't want to I would find someone else. My vet who I used to work for, said they hadn't done it, but could, and just go in earlier in the week, if you send it on a Friday it will sit in a shed somewhere over the weekend. I also asked if they were routinely offering the 3 year vacc (which I have been told is the same as the yearly one, but packaged differently) Once again, no but they are happy to get it in, could I just give them sufficient notice. I am happy to take her in for yearly check ups, but won't vaccinate yearly when I don't need to.

Most vets will do things given enough notice so they can get the info they need.

I'm glad people are being more involved, and educating themselves about which vaccines their dogs get and how often. Gotta love google! That's how i found DOL. Last may we moved to backwaterlaide, and because we came from interstate and I did't know what diseases were around here, parvo etc, i thought it would be a good idea to vacc my 8 year old boxer, he hadn't been vaccinated since he was 14 months old. Took him to a vet, and said i wanted them to also test for heartworm, he had never had heartworm meds in his life, the vet gave him the all clear for heartworm, then gave one injection, a C5, followed by a second injection, proheart12. Six months later, the dog is dead. He died from mediastinal lymphoma, which is the rarest form of Lymphoma. The vet ,new and current great vet, said judging by the size of the tumour, which was about the size of a fist, he had it for at least 6 months. Was it the proheart that caused the cancer? Well since hearing so many tragic stories about the deaths that it caused in dogs in the u.s and here, and the warnings that are written on the packet for proheart12, as in ,do NOT administer within 1 month of any other vacc, not recommended for geriatric dogs ( over 7 years old ), only to be used on dogs if NO other treatment suitable e.g daily or monthly tabs, i'll let everyone else be their own judge, but i will never be convinced that it didn't cause my dogs cancer, and is why i ask the vet questions about whats being pumped into my dog, cause you obviously can't trust ALL vets to inform you of the risks/ benefits of what they are giving your dogs.

Last may we moved to backwaterlaide, and because we came from interstate and I did't know what diseases were around here, parvo etc, i thought it would be a good idea to vacc my 8 year old boxer, he hadn't been vaccinated since he was 14 months old. Took him to a vet, and said i wanted them to also test for heartworm, he had never had heartworm meds in his life, the vet gave him the all clear for heartworm, then gave one injection, a C5, followed by a second injection, proheart12. Six months later, the dog is dead. He died from mediastinal lymphoma, which is the rarest form of Lymphoma. The vet ,new and current great vet, said judging by the size of the tumour, which was about the size of a fist, he had it for at least 6 months. Was it the proheart that caused the cancer? Well since hearing so many tragic stories about the deaths that it caused in dogs in the u.s and here, and the warnings that are written on the packet for proheart12, as in ,do NOT administer within 1 month of any other vacc, not recommended for geriatric dogs ( over 7 years old ), only to be used on dogs if NO other treatment suitable e.g daily or monthly tabs,

That is terrible. Whether the Proheart12 caused the tumor or not, the package had clear instructions that the vet did not follow. That really makes me angry. I have seen and heard of dogs being vaccinated when they are ill as well - the manufacturers clearly state that a sick dog is NOT to be vaccinated.

i'll let everyone else be their own judge, but i will never be convinced that it didn't cause my dogs cancer, and is why i ask the vet questions about whats being pumped into my dog, cause you obviously can't trust ALL vets to inform you of the risks/ benefits of what they are giving your dogs.

You know, no vet has ever voluntarily advised me of the risks of vaccinations. Even when I asked, before I started doing my own research, I was fobbed off with a 'reactions are so rare and you are endangering your dog if you dont do it'. After my girl had a severe reaction I joined a group of people in Australia whos dogs had also suffered reactions and found there were many more cases than I had imagined.

Last may we moved to backwaterlaide, and because we came from interstate and I did't know what diseases were around here, parvo etc, i thought it would be a good idea to vacc my 8 year old boxer, he hadn't been vaccinated since he was 14 months old. Took him to a vet, and said i wanted them to also test for heartworm, he had never had heartworm meds in his life, the vet gave him the all clear for heartworm, then gave one injection, a C5, followed by a second injection, proheart12. Six months later, the dog is dead. He died from mediastinal lymphoma, which is the rarest form of Lymphoma. The vet ,new and current great vet, said judging by the size of the tumour, which was about the size of a fist, he had it for at least 6 months. Was it the proheart that caused the cancer? Well since hearing so many tragic stories about the deaths that it caused in dogs in the u.s and here, and the warnings that are written on the packet for proheart12, as in ,do NOT administer within 1 month of any other vacc, not recommended for geriatric dogs ( over 7 years old ), only to be used on dogs if NO other treatment suitable e.g daily or monthly tabs,

That is terrible. Whether the Proheart12 caused the tumor or not, the package had clear instructions that the vet did not follow. That really makes me angry. I have seen and heard of dogs being vaccinated when they are ill as well - the manufacturers clearly state that a sick dog is NOT to be vaccinated.

i'll let everyone else be their own judge, but i will never be convinced that it didn't cause my dogs cancer, and is why i ask the vet questions about whats being pumped into my dog, cause you obviously can't trust ALL vets to inform you of the risks/ benefits of what they are giving your dogs.

You know, no vet has ever voluntarily advised me of the risks of vaccinations. Even when I asked, before I started doing my own research, I was fobbed off with a 'reactions are so rare and you are endangering your dog if you dont do it'. After my girl had a severe reaction I joined a group of people in Australia whos dogs had also suffered reactions and found there were many more cases than I had imagined.

To say i'm angry at the vet that gave Batey proheart12 without telling me the risks beforehand is an understatement! How many people would give this crap to their dog if the vet told you the risks? And even after all the adverse reactions that it has caused vets ( not all ) are still advising people to use it. I just finished a puppy school with my new boxer pup, they had a pop quiz on what to give for heartworm prevention. I said daily or monthly tabs, instructor said OR ? I said, or that shit from the U.S that has killed hundreds, maybe thousands of dogs and has been banned for the past 4 years, but is still being used here, so that must make our dogs lab rats ! Not the answer the instructor wanted to hear I am sure, but if i just saved the life of someone else's dog by making them question what they give their dog, well it was worth the outburst !

Firstly I am the first to advise not using Proheart SR12, I would never use it, and my Vet does not reccomend it, however I have to point out a few facts.

The manufacturers dosage information as per the enclosed information leaflet supplied with each box of Proheart SR12 in Australia, clearly state that the drug is safe to be administered at the same time as Vaccination or other medications.

They advising not injecting at the same site, and that no other drug be mixed in the syringe with the Proheart SR12.

They also advise that Proheart SR12 may be safely administered to Ivermectin sensitive collies.

They also advise starting pups on the Proheart SR12 program at 3 months of age.

As much as I dislike this product, Vets using it as above are following the Manufacturers instructions for use in Australia.

I do know that the instructions for overseas differ, but the above is what Vets are to follow here.

Edited by Crisovar

Firstly I am the first to advise not using Proheart SR12, I would never use it, and my Vet does not reccomend it, however I have to point out a few facts.

The manufacturers dosage information as per the enclosed information leaflet supplied with each box of Proheart SR12 in Australia, clearly state that the drug is safe to be administered at the same time as Vaccination or other medications.

They advising not injecting at the same site, and that no other drug be mixed in the syringe with the Proheart SR12.

They also advise that Proheart SR12 may be safely administered to Ivermectin sensitive collies.

As much as I dislike this product, Vets using it as above are following the Manufacturers instructions for use in Australia.

I do know that the instructions for overseas differ, but the above is what Vets are to follow here.

Hi Crisovar

I noticed from a bit of research that it appears that the warning re not administering at the same time as vaccination etc comes on the Proheart6 package but not the ProheartSR12 - I couldnt find any answer as to why though?

Im just interested - do you know? I would have thought that the 12 month one was 'stronger' than the 6 month one? Maybe the 2 products have different ingredients? I just thought it was strange and couldnt find the information as to why :o

Hi Crisovar

I noticed from a bit of research that it appears that the warning re not administering at the same time as vaccination etc comes on the Proheart6 package but not the ProheartSR12 - I couldnt find any answer as to why though?

Im just interested - do you know? I would have thought that the 12 month one was 'stronger' than the 6 month one? Maybe the 2 products have different ingredients? I just thought it was strange and couldnt find the information as to why :o

I had some articles here on the difference between the products, no idea where I have saved them, but, I think it is the actually the chemical composition that they use to bind the drug then release it over time, I will have look when I get time.

Thanks for starting this thread, it has just urged me to call my vet and find out exactly what they give my dog. I have an appointment on the weekend for a yearly vaccination and heartworm injection and now having second thoughts!!

I found out that they give a C5 injection and use Proheart SR12. So I think I'll go back to monthly heartworm protection, not the injection!!

Does anyone advise against using Revolution which includes heartworm treatment? Or would you use one of those monthly chews (and if so, which brand?)

And how come people prefer the C3 vac to the C5? From what the vet nurse told me, the only difference between the 2 is that C5 also covers 2 types of canine flu? Now I'm contemplating not even having the vaccination done, but don't have a strong enough and confident enough argument against why I have decided that. I always get beaten down and made to feel like a bad owner when I'm not strong on the facts myself :o

I hope someone can help advise as my appointment is Sunday morning! Thanks :)

And how come people prefer the C3 vac to the C5? From what the vet nurse told me, the only difference between the 2 is that C5 also covers 2 types of canine flu? Now I'm contemplating not even having the vaccination done, but don't have a strong enough and confident enough argument against why I have decided that. I always get beaten down and made to feel like a bad owner when I'm not strong on the facts myself :o

The more components in the vaccine the more your dogs immune system has to deal with at once.

Most boarding kennels insist on C5 minimum because of the Canine Cough risk. Yes the C5 adds two canine cough components to the mix. The choice is yours.

I only give my dogs C3, I once experimented and tried a C5 and both the dogs in question contracted canine cough three months later and one of them was quite sick, in my opinion C5 vacs are a waste of money unless you need to put your dog into boarding kennels. I don't vaccinate yearly either, I give puppy vaccs, a booster at 16 months and that's it.

I use Heartgard monthly in the summer, worm three times a year and treat for fleas when necessary which hasn't been for years. I don't believe in giving dogs chemicals that they don't need.

However you must do your own research and make up your own mind what you think is best for your dogs.

Thanks for starting this thread, it has just urged me to call my vet and find out exactly what they give my dog. I have an appointment on the weekend for a yearly vaccination and heartworm injection and now having second thoughts!!

I found out that they give a C5 injection and use Proheart SR12. So I think I'll go back to monthly heartworm protection, not the injection!!

Does anyone advise against using Revolution which includes heartworm treatment? Or would you use one of those monthly chews (and if so, which brand?)

Hi Rubystar

First of all, dont ever feel like a bad owner for researching the best for your dog. Just because a vet has an opinion different to yours does not mean you have to go along with it.

There is no reason to vaccinate yearly. Even the Australian Veterinary Association are starting to 'get with the times' and advise that dogs should not be routinely vaccinated every year. Apparently the reason vets started advocating vaccinating annually in the first place is because they thought that owners needed a 'reason' to bring their pet in for a checkup each year. Immunity after a vaccination usually lasts for a minimum of 3 years, and probably for the life of the pet. I see you are in WA - we are lucky because it is easier and cheaper for us to get titer tests - they process them at Murdoch.

Many vets are not up on the 'latest' information (and my vet told me that if that particular vet doesnt subscribe to the Veterinary Association's newsletter then they are probably not aware of the new protocols) Dont let your vet pressure you into anything you dont feel comfortable with. I found it difficult the first few times I told vets "I follow a minimum vaccination protocol" and "I feed my dogs a raw diet" and yes, a few tried to tell me that I was being a 'bad owner' but I simply replied "Ive done my research and made my decision thanks". I have never had one try to persuade me after that. You just need to be confident and clear with your message - they usually dont even take you on about it.

One of my dogs is my walking case of why I do what I do - I feel so bad for what she has gone through, but I also am grateful that she came to live with me - I have learnt so much because of it.

Also, just to add - I think vets should ensure they do keep up with the latest information - especially from their own association, regardless of whether they receive the newsletter. The AVA states in their policies:

2.1 - Responsible use of veterinary immunobiologicals in cats and dogs

Policy

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) believes that veterinarians must maintain a highly professional approach to all aspects of the use of immunobiologicals (vaccines). This includes ensuring that vaccines are not used unnecessarily, ensuring that the latest techniques are adopted (as appropriate) and appreciating that the profession will be held responsible for the correct use of immunobiologicals. Veterinarians should aim to maintain the profession as the source of informed knowledge on the use of these agents.[/i]

I really wish I had a copy of the newsletter with me - my vet gave it to me, however it is at home and I am at work! IF I can get my scanner to work tonight I will scan it and PM it to you if you like. Having something in writing from the AVA to show your vet might make you feel a little bit more confident if you decide thats what you want to do.

I really wish I had a copy of the newsletter with me - my vet gave it to me, however it is at home and I am at work! IF I can get my scanner to work tonight I will scan it and PM it to you if you like. Having something in writing from the AVA to show your vet might make you feel a little bit more confident if you decide thats what you want to do.

That would be really great, thanks!! I found out Titre testing costs $103.40 from VetWest, so I'm guessing that is cheaper than interstate?!