Feeding Fish Heads And Fish With Bones

harper

I have been reading with interest the threads about feeding fish with bones in and fish heads. Today I decided to try my guys with some salmon heads but when I went into the fish monger and told him they were for the dogs he said no way.

He and his wife are breeders and he said they would never risk it with fish bones and only feed filleted fish. He said feed chicken or any other meat with bones but not fish. He gave me a bag of filleted offcuts to give my dogs instead.

Is there anyone here that would not feed their dogs fish with bones.

I know lots here feed the fish heads and non-filleted fish without a drama but I must admit I am now having second thoughts.

Wondering what others think?

I was very apprehensive at first too, especially because fish bones can be so sharp! But then was told by several people on here that the bones are soft enough and the dogs wouldn't have any problems, and so far they never have. I have one gobbler who pretty much swallows things whole and one patient chewer, and neither of them have any difficulties with their fish.

Maybe it could depend on the size of the dog? :laugh:

I feed my dogs salmon heads and whole mullets. Never had any problems :lollipop: .

My butcher wouldn't sell me pork when I said it's for my dogs :thumbsup: . There is a lot of misconception about what dogs should and shouldn't eat :) .

Do your research and decide for yourself :laugh: .

I feed my Dobes a fresh sardine every second day and some of them have been quite large and I have never had a problem. I think that fish bones are like any other bone - if they are fed fresh and not cooked there is no problem, any bones cooked become stronger and more brittle so should be avoided. I have been warned of canned sardines as they are already cooked and can be dangerous. As for pork I think it is because they are very sharp splintery bones that are not as easily digested and can cause problems in the gut and bowel.

I beleive from reading up on Pork many many years ago(at school) that it can potentially carry a worm - not sure if tapeworm or different- and that is why it is also recommended to cook pork well before eating and not eating rare pork! I can't remember the exact reason though. And not sure about feeding pork bones???? I have never fed them

ETA - it carries -trichina (Trichinella spiralis), a nematode. Is killed by cooking, can cause problems if gets into a human, but easier to kill and potentially no worse than Salmonella which is regularly found in chicken. BAsically humans shouldn't eat any raw meats and wash hands after handling any raw meats. No raw meat is worse than the other, the just have different things that can be a problem

Edited by rommimum

Thanks for the replies.

I did see your topic, huski, and that is what made me want to try out the salmon heads. It is just that the fishmonger was so emphatic about not feeding them it made me think twice.

Do your research and decide for yourself .

Excellent advice, Laffi, and I will do just that.

I might just stick to the fillet offcuts for the time being until I do a bit more research. :(

the whole thing about eating really well cooked pork is a thing of the past, the farmed pigs that we eat these days are now raised under much stricter supervision and health regulation then they were, but people still belive there breed in there own filth.

its fine for dogs and humans, give you dog a pig trotter and watch there eyes light up

I beleive from reading up on Pork many many years ago(at school) that it can potentially carry a worm - not sure if tapeworm or different- and that is why it is also recommended to cook pork well before eating and not eating rare pork! I can't remember the exact reason though. And not sure about feeding pork bones???? I have never fed them

ETA - it carries -trichina (Trichinella spiralis), a nematode. Is killed by cooking, can cause problems if gets into a human, but easier to kill and potentially no worse than Salmonella which is regularly found in chicken. BAsically humans shouldn't eat any raw meats and wash hands after handling any raw meats. No raw meat is worse than the other, the just have different things that can be a problem

Interesting. I was watching a cooking show the other day; the chef was cooking pork. His advice was that with the quality control on meat these days the old advice about having to cook the pork through completely (ie well done) no longer applied, and that you could treat it as you would lamb or steak (med/rare) without any health concerns. I have also eaten med/rare pork when out at resturants here in melb - which has been very very nice! I guess that if its ok for us, its ok for the pooches!

I thought prok was not recommended for dogs due to it's high fat content?!?! :o

Yep me too and the salt content too.

Sorry but I don't think raw pork has high salt content. Pork can be fat but it can be lean too, just like beef. You pay more for less fat/better quality pieces.

Sorry but I don't think raw pork has high salt content. Pork can be fat but it can be lean too, just like beef. You pay more for less fat/better quality pieces.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure TBH - you hear so many different things about meat to feed dogs, I've not found good raw meaty pork bones as easily as I have found lamb, chicken, turkey or beef so I've never had to worry about it!

I don't feed dried treats like pig ears or snouts either.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure TBH - you hear so many different things about meat to feed dogs, I've not found good raw meaty pork bones as easily as I have found lamb, chicken, turkey or beef so I've never had to worry about it!

I don't feed dried treats like pig ears or snouts either.

I agree. It's quite hard to find good raw meaty pork bones.

Although now you mention it Laffi, I think someone (Bub off the top of my head) had a thread a while ago about feeding her dog an entire pig's head!!

Don't remember if the dog liked it though :o

Although now you mention it Laffi, I think someone (Bub off the top of my head) had a thread a while ago about feeding her dog an entire pig's head!!

Don't remember if the dog liked it though :o

I have given my dogs pig heads before. I just don't like finding pig's teeth in the garden :)