Staffy And The Water

Most Staffies have to work alot harder at floating, because of muscle to fat ratios.

Dogs that are not a 'ball of muscle' will float easier than a brick on legs.

Ive had Jinta in the ocean she only does little swims at this stage, shes quite wary of the whole deep water thing. We swim together so I dont worry she will go out to sea.

Id like to be sure that people are aware that a life vest IS not a guarentee that your dog or child cant/wont drown while wearing a floatation aid. They can still drown, so keep watch same as if they didnt have one on.

happy swimming!! ;) (says the swim instructor...)

oh those underwater scratches are bad news, Ive had another dog, a strangers dog scratch me badly as it swam past me one day.OUCH. So far Jintas carefull not to hurt me.

Edited by Jintanut

A vest is a good idea!!!

I would be keeping the rope on her for a while too!

Most Staffords love water and thats one of the problem - in their jump and they can't get out or get tired or keep swiming in the wrong direction!!

If she doesn't start to show signs of understanding the idea of swimming in deep water then it might be best just to keep her in the kiddies pool and let her have a play, little swim and run afterwards.

Unlike popular thinking - swimming doesn't come natural to all dogs and they sometimes need to be taught how to.

All my dogs have been water babies and I have taught them all as bubs to swim and thankfully I have never had a problem (touch wood).

Good Luck and let us know how she goes with the vest! And short swims so she doesn't get too tired to get out! ;)

Edited by Ci

Yes Boxer's aren't the most natural of swimmers LOL. I don't know why, but mine seems to swim upright, instaid of lengthways like most dogs. I don't even think he knows how to kick with his backlegs LOL. And then there's the fact he has no "rudder" at the back for manuvering LOL. We bought ours a life jacket, so he can go "swimming" and won't drown (which we were afraid of happening).

-WithEverythingIAm

I also own another dog that loves to put her whole HEAD under water to look for things. I guess we were naughty and taught her that one. When she was a pup, we took her to a local fishing dam, and used to throw rocks in the shallow part, and tell her to get it ;) Now instaid of just her little nose, she'll put her head in the water up past her eyes, to try and find something underwater. She must actually like it, as when we're playing with her, she'll get puffed out, and will drop her Kong in the water bucket, have a drink, then get the toy out of the bottom of the bucket again LOL.

-WithEverythingIAm

I've seen vests on a few online pet supplies shops - seem pretty reasonable prices to me. What price a life? Try www.ozpets.com.au for one, or hit google.

gemibabe, the dog in Darwin story sounds more unlucky than highly risky. Sure, if it was in one of the creeks or billabongs I'd be shooting the owner, but if it was in the harbour it's more unlucky. Darwin Harbour is supposedly quite a bit larger than Sydney harbour - yes Parks and Wildlife pull the snapping handbags out and relocate them fairly regularly (ie on average about 150-200 per year of mostly around 2m which is fairly small), but you'd have a greater chance of getting stung (in stinger season) than getting gnawed on. We're on the harbour on a regular occurrance kayaking and I haven't had reason to freak out...yet!

We have a couple of smallish dams - if dog is a good retriever, all we do is throw stuff into dam which they retrieve and bring straight back to us - only a short swim. Can stop the game any time. And, if really necessary (never has been) it's not too far in to rescue them :D

cheers