Staffy And The Water

We had a pretty warm day yesterday and I took shelby off to one of many swimming holes around here. (left by mining)

Had to have her on a lead as the law states so I grabbed the longest bit of rope I could find (12-16ft long).

Anyway, she was straight in swimming around but kept swimming and if not on the rope she would of kept going. I kept calling her back which she ignored(I'm not getting out!) but it was like she was sinking!!!!

So luckily with the rope I would pull her in, she was still swimming but kinda sinking.

She loves the water so much, snapping at the splashes she makes with her paws.

do dogs swim so much that they get tired and sink? maybe even drown?

I'm just glad she had to be on the rope at this one swimming hole.

There are others around, bit of a drive out, but require no leads and I would like to be able to take her, but if she is going to swim, swim, swim and tire easily, I don't want to be jumping in.

Also too, can dogs catch meningitus???

There was a dog called desert at wellington point that went in for a stick and the stick kept going and so did the staffy. He kept going till he was so tired that he did drown. So be very careful. It breaks my heart when i think of that story, at least he went doing what he loved doing the most.

Cheers A

Guest cloverfdch

My young Border Collie also swims non stop, until i have to call him out (Or drag him out :thumbsup: ). At times he has started to have trouble staying afloat, but i also had him attached to a long lead and was able to pull him in. Alot of Boxers have an odd "Doggy Paddle" and have trouble staying afloat because they are so deep chested.

I taught her to swim in a pool and I would direct her to the steps to get out incase she ever fell in. Have heard of dogs drowning in pools cause they fell and couldn't get out from the sides... but water holes? If she ever did sink, its along way to the bottom. I just want to be able to go swimming with her and have the confidence that she would get out when tired or when I call her to get out.

Has anyone done any 'water training' with thier dogs? It gets rather hot in summer and with the many water holes around I would like to take full advantage.

Luv_is_a_staffy That is a sad story. Another is where a dog in Darwin went into the ocean thinking it was after a big stick, only to realise it was a croc :eek: bloody owner should of been shot for allowing his dog offlead in such a high risk area :(

Sidoney, I had a bull terrier that snapped at the water so much his tummy was twice the size... then spent the rest of the day hurling up water... :laugh:

Clover its great that they enjoy the swim, but it scares me that they would keep going and not realise they are going down :thumbsup:

My Rottie loves to try to "eat" the splashing water when he swims also. If you are worried about your pup swimming until she wears herself out and sinks you may want to look into getting her a lifevest. We have one for Brodie for when he goes swimming. A good investment for pups that love to swim as much as your does.

My staffy (Ollie) loves to get under the hose in summer and he has a bath each week/fortnight which he loves..When we take him to the park he walks around in the water (neck deep) - I do not think he is too sure of himself in water like this, because he will not go any further than where he can touch...He looks back at us as if to say - is this OK?

My sister's two staffys, well that is another story. Her male (sadly passed away from snake bite) used to swim like crazy - he would make waves, but no splashing and because her female is the dominant dog she would go in after him and splash around - funny to watch...She now has another male staffy and he is a swimmer as well...She also has a mastiff x sharpei and he is such a big dog, but acts like the baby of the family and just sits on the sand and watches the others, if the waves come to close he runs further up the beach...

Jodie

My Staffy swims at a dog pool for fitness and due to bad joints.

She wears a lifevest as she does sink, and I can get more laps from her if it is easier for her to float.

I would get a lifevest for your staffy Gemibabe, just in case she tires and you need to go in and grab her. Dogs are just so crazy about swimming they don't realise how fatigued they get.

The lifevests also have some protection against hypothermia, if the water is a bit cold.

If you have trouble getting one, let me know. :thumbsup:

Mel.

my brothe ruces to let his lab/retr swim at the beach in the uk until one day he just kept swimming - no rope or lead attached his girlfriend kept calling and he seemed to just keep swimming (she thinks her voice was bouncing off the moored boats) anway quick thinking as they were near the yacht club were all members of and ran up to the club house and launched the rescue boat they found him hanging onto one of the mooring lines with his teeth as the tide had turned and was dragging him out - he was exhausted and cold but survived - much longer and he probably wouldnt have - admittedly he was quite old they had only had him a few months as a rescue dog

just be careful even the best trained dog can get confused....

our boy only ever goes chest deep he loves the water but never goes too far but hes always on a piece of rope anyway

G:

Has anyone done any 'water training' with thier dogs?

K9: water is just another distraction that I train over...

I have my dogs heel whilst I swim, or recall, anything but sit & drop :rofl:

Compliance in the water is the same as on land.

Swimming is a great muscle builder with little impact....

Has anyone done any 'water training' with their dogs?

Yes I do. Nearly every day in summer and if not too cold in winter too. During winter if it is cold my dogs wear a vest as intermittently prolonged drills (angled entries, long land/water entries etc), in the cold water are required.

When one of my dogs recently had CCL surgery it was suggested that I take her to a dog swimming pool for rehab. I saved the money and travelling distance by taking her to a local small lake, leaving a pile of dummies across the other side and sending her for retrieves. Each leg was about 100 yards. I made sure she was in the water in front of me before sending her due to the mud (and risk of further injury). It worked a treat as she loves retrieving and water rehab was a breeze.

Edited by Lablover

Thanks Everyone!

K9 I know its an obedience thing, but it was like watching kids and candy. She couldn't get enough of the water!

Any tips on how to NOT make the dog come so close that you get scratched by those swimming legs?

She is getting good with waiting for her food. bowl is only a foot in front, but she doesn't take her eyes off me :rofl:

Staffordsrule I will get a vest. It sounds like a great idea. Any Idea on where to get one? Can't say I ever seen them (not that I was looking)

I will google it and see what I come up with.

What brand do you use?

Can't say I have ever heard of a dog swimming pool over here in the west.

Thanks again :rofl:

Staffordsrule I will get a vest. It sounds like a great idea.Can't say I ever seen them

Here is a link to a thread where I posted a pic of Brodie wearing his vest. His is made by Outward Hound, but I do not know if you can get that brand over in Australia. In the US it's one of the most popular brands and is found in almost any pet store that carries lifevests.

Brodie w/lifevest The pic is in the 5th reply for the thread.

Edited by JD19

Hi Gemibabe,

Over here in vic there are a few lifevest brands sold in our local pet supplies.

The cheapest ones that I've found are actually sold at the dog pool. The RSPCA endorsed ones and others I have looked at are often double or triple the price!

If you wanted to purchase over the phone & pay the postage I'm sure they would send one over to you, the vest itself is very light, it would just be the size of the postpack.

There are a few different sizes so you would prob have to measure your dogs length and width around the bellly.

The brand I have is 'Shakespeare'.

The link to the dog pool is here Vests are in the products section.

Good luck with your search!!

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

I thought of a dog vest when we go out in the boat or go over to straddie on the ferry(they have human ones but nothing for the dog if it has a titanic moment(minus the ice burg)). U can get them from Camp Mart camping supplies(they are everywhere in bris not sure bout other places and are reasonably priced).

My dog loves looking for toad fish in the water. He used to be having such a good time that he never used to listen to me when i called him, hes a bit older now and has caught enough fish to last a life time, he now comes when called. (and no he doesnt eat them, he doesnt even punchure them, just brings them out and goes in for another)

FIY. My boy loves the hose and doesnt mind having a bath. When he's really hot he rolles over and wants me to spray his belly(like im watering the lawn) I get some looks from the neighbours.

Cheers A

G:

K9 I know its an obedience thing, but it was like watching kids and candy. She couldn't get enough of the water!

K9: lol, I know, it just takes more training under distraction.

G:

Any tips on how to NOT make the dog come so close that you get scratched by those swimming legs?

K9: On land, I teach my dogs a command known as into my arms. Its like a human kennel I bring them into to slow them down in drive, comfort them in times of stress etc.

I use this into my arms in the water when I can stand up, they come to me & I can hold them up, so they stop swimming. The into my arms position is the dog coming to me & leaning its rib cage on me. So no scratches.

I don't know if anyone has already written this but BE VERY CAREFUL with STAFFORDS AND WATER!

Drowning is one of the most common causes of death for Staffies, I was warned when I got my first Staffords by the breeder, the club and my vet. It is even in the hand book you get from the Vic club.

They may love swimming but they are so heavy that they can't float and they tirer easily and quickly and drown.

They also will swim under water and try and catch anything that is thrown underwater.

My older cousin has had three that have drown - the first one had gone for a swim in his pool (this was like 30 years ago when there were no pool fences) and drown - probably couldn't find his way out. The next two both drown in the creek. You would think my cousin would have learnt after the second one.

Glad to say that his fourth Stafford is still alive and well and not allowed near water.

Tex loves water so I taught him how to swim when he was a baby, I would get in the pool with him or the ocean and hold him and let him do little swims til he got it but I still don't let him anyway near water without me.

At the beach he use to swim out to bloody sea and I would have to call him back. I use to freaked out. So now I have trained him to tred water close to the shore and go vertically to me walking - he can still swim but he follows me not heads out further!

He dives for things as well so I make sure that I don't throw anything in deeper water.

But they are just too heavy to swim for very long and they can't stay afloat. And they don't understand that you can't breath under water.

Of course let your dog enjoy swimming but use your brains for their saftey, make sure that you are careful and teach them how to swim. It doesn't always come natural for dogs.

Edited by Ci

Hi Ci,

My whole reason for posting was because Shelby was tiring her self out while swimming, and lucky for both of us she was on a rope.

I'm going to get a vest for her before the next swim so we can all have peace of mind.

When she was 6months or there abouts I use to fill my sons wading pool with about half a foot of water and she use to roll around mad in it, bite at it, she just loves the water. But give her a nice bath and she tense's up, and does not co-operate... but runs like a mad dog afterwards...lol

It was really good watching her have so much fun with the water. So a vest is the way to go. Might get one for my son too

;)