Should Have Called The Ranger

I should have called the ranger months ago when the new neighbours moved in with their Pit Bull. Of course believing in punish the deed and not the breed, I thought they would be responsible and treated their dog just like any other.

I should have called and I should have insisted that they ranger issue an NOI. I would not be left feeling guilty about my next door neighbours old desexed and harmless gundog that had pieces torn off him in his own back yard. An act which I could have prevented.

I heard god awful screaming and thought he'd hung himself on a fence. I raced across the yard and looked over the fence to see the poor old fellow on his back, Pit Bull around his neck screaming. Neighbour smashed the dog with a metal rake and somehow got it off.

ranger called, dog dealt with... no more second chances

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shit, that's horrific. I take it the old gundog didn't make it?

I probably would have done the same thing though (ie given the new neighbours a chance). don't feel guilty, not your dog, not your fault. please lay it on thick with those idiots from all of us (if ever you can speak to them without smacking them).

He's still alive, we got him into the garage away from the dog, while we dealt with it and then checked him over. He's of course punctured and torn around the neck and had his elbow ripped and punctured.

He's an old dog, who minds his own business in his own back yard.

Ranger was very prompt , within two minutes of calling had arrived.

All is quiet.

I believe the other dog may have been seized, I'll find that out tomorrow. I'll be pushing for it to be destroyed.

Neighbours dog didn't bark when the kids came home ( he always does when they pull up ), he might be at the vets still.

Edited by PPS

How horrible. My heart drops and I feel pain when I think of dogs being hurt in any way. :rolleyes: Glad someone was around when it happened, poor old doggy. Also glad you have a mighty quick ranger too. Keep us updated. It's probably all a bit "raw" for now and your emotions about the whole "what if's" are going to play on your mind tonight, but you absolutely did the right thing, without a doubt.

:rolleyes: Very sad indeed. I know of a very similar situation, and one in which all indicators seemed positive. It's just a crying shame that in so many instances pitties are owned by dickheads with a point to prove. Lovely dogs in the right hands, scary in the wrong.

Terrible :rolleyes:

I had to go out to a house call last week with one of our vets... these people owned a very ancient Cattle Dog who had been mauled by a wandering Pit Bull while she was minding her own business in her backyard. She was in a very bad way and had to be PTS, the owners were distraught.

Neighbour just called in to thank me for the other day and to let me know how the dog is.

Other neighbour refusing to accept any responsibility for what happened.

As well as being the owner of a restricted breed that has failed miserably when it comes to his obligations under the CAA, his dogs are also actively used for hunting and should have been kept in a child proof enclosure as per the CAA and the dangerous dog clauses.