Should Have Called The Ranger

1stly - a dog attacked another old defenceless dog in its backyard - seemingly unprovoked - sorry but PTS is the only answer (next time it might be a kid)

Back the bus up. Dog aggression does not equal human aggression.

Yes every dog should be safe in it's own back yard

Yes I think the attacking dog should be PTS and the owner fined & made to pay all the vets bills for the other dog.

Yes I realise DA doesn't = HA but it's a short step from a loose dog in your neighbours backyard to a loose dog roaming the street and doing god knows what. If a dog can attack another unprovoked then the risk to all is just too high be it dog, cat, kid, sheep that's the next potential victim.....

Rae

If you are severely bitten protecting your dog from an attack by another, I'm sure its small consolation to know that the dog really meant you no harm. :laugh:

People get bitten in dog on dog attacks all the time.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have called the ranger months ago when the new neighbours moved in with their Pit Bull. Of course believing in punish the deed and not the breed, I thought they would be responsible and treated their dog just like any other.

I should have called and I should have insisted that they ranger issue an NOI. I would not be left feeling guilty about my next door neighbours old desexed and harmless gundog that had pieces torn off him in his own back yard. An act which I could have prevented.

I heard god awful screaming and thought he'd hung himself on a fence. I raced across the yard and looked over the fence to see the poor old fellow on his back, Pit Bull around his neck screaming. Neighbour smashed the dog with a metal rake and somehow got it off.

ranger called, dog dealt with... no more second chances

Mind Your Own Business.

I should have called the ranger months ago when the new neighbours moved in with their Pit Bull. Of course believing in punish the deed and not the breed, I thought they would be responsible and treated their dog just like any other.

I should have called and I should have insisted that they ranger issue an NOI. I would not be left feeling guilty about my next door neighbours old desexed and harmless gundog that had pieces torn off him in his own back yard. An act which I could have prevented.

I heard god awful screaming and thought he'd hung himself on a fence. I raced across the yard and looked over the fence to see the poor old fellow on his back, Pit Bull around his neck screaming. Neighbour smashed the dog with a metal rake and somehow got it off.

Mind Your Own Business.

Would you be saying this if it were your dog that was attacked in it's own yard? Have you ever had an incident with a dog that might have been prevented if someone had taken action earlier?

I had a dog that had his ear torn off through the fence from the neighbour's dog. I learnt after this that the same dog had ripped the leg off a foxie, also through the fence, I REALLY wish someone hadn't had minded their own business and had reported this dog as mine might not have had to go through what he did.

Mind Your Own Business.

Would you be saying this if it were your dog that was attacked in it's own yard?

That would be different now wouldn't it..... ie: different to a neighbour who has nothing to do with the situation ringing up the council.

MYOB

That would be different now wouldn't it..... ie: different to a neighbour who has nothing to do with the situation ringing up the council.

MYOB

The key word here is "neighbour".

If a dog that lived in adjoining property to yours had gotten into another property and attacked the resident dog, are you telling me you wouldn't be at all concerned?

I'd be worried sick my dogs would be next. :laugh: That makes it my business IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

MYOB

If a dog that lived in adjoining property to yours and gotten into another property and attacked the resident dog, are you telling me you wouldn't be at all concerned?

I'd be worried sick my dogs would be next. :laugh: That makes it my business IMO.

The statement by the OP was:

I should have called the ranger months ago when the new neighbours moved in with their Pit Bull.

I believe the OP would have been nosy by reporting the owner just because she suspected they had a PB.

What eventuated afterwards is a different story...

MYOB

If a dog that lived in adjoining property to yours and gotten into another property and attacked the resident dog, are you telling me you wouldn't be at all concerned?

I should have called the ranger months ago when the new neighbours moved in with their Pit Bull.

I believe the OP would have been nosy by reporting the owner just because she suspected they had a PB.

Well, as it turns out the OP did mind her own business. I wouldnt' be minding any more if I were in her shoes.

MYOB

Well, as it turns out the OP did mind her own business. I wouldnt' be minding any more if I were in her shoes.

Really? She did the right thing..... Damn Pit Bulls and their stupid owners.......

Edited by rottiadora

My neighbour kindly thanked me . He was also very gratefull that if he'd not been there, that I would have at least attempted to save his dog.

The done thing these days , seems to be to turn a blind eye to everything. Lesson learnt for doing that, it resulted in an attack.

I'm wondering if I should now ignore the innately aggressive behaviour and predatory actions of the dog, while it further tests the fences, including the common corner fence ?

Good on ya!!! Glad you were there to help......

But

Just because someone owns a Pit Bull does not mean it's your business to report it (upon it's arrival, before anything happened).

Edited by rottiadora

Good on ya!!! Glad you were there to help......

But

Just because someone owns a Pit Bull does not mean it's your business to report it.

If I had one next door that had attacked an old dog and continued testing the fences between it and my dogs, I think I would. :laugh:

Mind you, I'd do it regardless of breed.

[quote name='rottiadora'

Really? She did the right thing..... Damn Pit Bulls and their stupid owners.......

Yeah she did. Why dont you dickheads wake up ?

Flame away. I cant stand you morons. You affect each breed affected by BSL but you dont give a shit. Nice.

I highly suspect because court challenges rarly involve those other breeds, anyone can guess breeds, for fun and games, along with shelters etc, it happens all the time in pounds.

My point is that if the OP had said 'the neighbours dobermann' then no one would have questioned the breed or, in fact, the post at all. But, because she said a pit bull the usuals come on asking how she knows it was a pit bull, mind your own business etc etc.

I can't believe it has to be explained to people how it does more damage to the fight against BSL when a dog that is a RB attacks and the owner hasn't complied with the law. The best way to fight it is to show these dogs are just dogs, but I guess it is a lost battle judging by the fact there are some many pitbull owners who can't think about anyone but themselves.

Caffiened I think most 'pitty' owners would manage there dogs wisely, I have rubbed shoulders ( and keyboards) with many over the years and this is what I have seen. I am sure most beagle owners, staffy owners and every other person with what ever breed they have just the same, majority would manage the dogs wisely, some may be bad eggs but it's the same in all from what I have seen.

Bad apples fall from all trees. No more so than others. But when focus is on one all negativity gets highlighted.

The gits who cant manage the dogs cant turn around any sort of perception, and I wouldnt want them to try.

:laugh: NorthernStarPits can you please contact me? I would like to PM you but you have it switched off. :p

My point is that if the OP had said 'the neighbours dobermann' then no one would have questioned the breed or, in fact, the post at all. But, because she said a pit bull the usuals come on asking how she knows it was a pit bull, mind your own business etc etc.

She did the right thing by minding her own business. Unfortunately a bad thing happened. Not her fault!

She did the right thing by minding her own business. Unfortunately a bad thing happened. Not her fault!

Never thought or implied for a second it was her fault. She made the initial decision not to report the owner for having a RB and not complying with laws. THAT is called minding your own business. Unfortunately, in retrospect, it would have been better if she had reported it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

PPS, if the dog does come back I hope you keep an eye out to see if they comply with the law and if they don't REPORT REPORT REPORT. I would NOT give them a second chance.