Herding Ht

:laugh: , oops caught out, wasn't trying to make us sound like saints piper, but I am looking forward to being there & giving Pebbles & Izzi a go. Yeah damn parents are sooo selfish some times but what can ya do :laugh: See ya Saturday.

Dova, you ARE a saint!! Without someone to bring the stock it kind of makes the whole trial a bit difficult to hold.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:cheer::cheer::thumbsup::laugh: , Oops got carried away there a bit I think, hell it was only an instinct test, but we PASSED woohoo. Yup Izzi & Pebbles got their certificates & you couldn't knock the :thumbsup: off my face with a stick at the moment. Izzi is a natural & a couple of people came up after & said she is going to be good. One of the judges stayed back after the trial & did a training session for a few of us & that was real nice of her, I need all the help I can get. We got up at 4am & got home at 7.30pm but had a great time & I'm pretty sure, possitive, that we'll be back, only for Izzi & Pebbles of course :thumbsup: . :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::) , see told ya can't stop smiling.

Jedi and Ahsoka both passed their instinct tests today!!!!!! :happydance: They'd both never been near sheep before and I thought Jedi (keeshond) wouldn't take any notice of the sheep, but he had more of a reaction to them than Ahsoka (finnish lapphund)!! It was lots of fun!

:happydance::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: , Oops got carried away there a bit I think, hell it was only an instinct test, but we PASSED woohoo. Yup Izzi & Pebbles got their certificates & you couldn't knock the :cheer: off my face with a stick at the moment. Izzi is a natural & a couple of people came up after & said she is going to be good. One of the judges stayed back after the trial & did a training session for a few of us & that was real nice of her, I need all the help I can get. We got up at 4am & got home at 7.30pm but had a great time & I'm pretty sure, possitive, that we'll be back, only for Izzi & Pebbles of course :party: . :laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl: , see told ya can't stop smiling.

I checked to see if you posted last night and thought nah you probably got home and fell into bed. I was tired anough but you guys had a much longer day. And we thank you so much or your help and being prepared to ang around afterwards for the impromptu but very beneficial training session.

Both your guys did very well and are goin to be such very different dogs to work. I am sore you are going to learn so much between them.

Jedi and Ahsoka both passed their instinct tests today!!!!!! :happydance: They'd both never been near sheep before and I thought Jedi (keeshond) wouldn't take any notice of the sheep, but he had more of a reaction to them than Ahsoka (finnish lapphund)!! It was lots of fun!

Well done. Do you know if any other Keeshond or Finnish Lappund have participated in the ANKC herding program? Would love to see pics or video if them working.

Thanks!!!!

Well done. Do you know if any other Keeshond or Finnish Lappund have participated in the ANKC herding program? Would love to see pics or video if them working.

There is one other keeshond - Schatje in Victoria, owned by Armahani kennels. To my knowledge Jedi and Schatje are the only two keeshonds in herding. Schatje has his HT and I'm hoping Jedi will be able to go further. This was his instinct test -

Armahani's finnish lapphunds also have their HIC or HT. There are a few photos on her website of them under each dog (if you scroll down on their individual pages) - http://www.armahani.com/

Congrats to everybody on their passes. They didn't make you do much or spend much time in their for the instinct test did they TerraNik. Look forward to seeing some video of the higher levels as you progress as I am curious to see how they work.

Edited by ness

Congrats to everybody on their passes. They didn't make you do much or spend much time in their for the instinct test did they TerraNik. Look forward to seeing some video of the higher levels as you progress as I am curious to see how they work.

I know! I expected to have to do a lot more!! Jedi was in with the sheep for 46 seconds or something and that included walking up to the sheep! :happydance:

Well done all on there passes

I heard that there were 50 dog who went for their instinct test today - don't know how many passed. They had to get a second judge to finish as Tim had gone over her allowed number to judge.

I just uploaded Ahsoka's HIC test -

I'm not surprised there were 50!! They were extremely busy!! It was fantastic that they paired it with a show though - the reason why we haven't gone to do the HIC test before was because we were busy with shows! So it was perfect!

Edited by TerraNik

Armahani are the Lappies that I know!

Didn't you do a stop and recall TerraNik??

For my HIC we did the stop and recall at the beginning. Walked down to the sheep on lead, let the dogs off lead and pretty much did a HT. A couple of dogs stayed on lead. You don't have to go off lead to pass.

I had only gone to do the HIC but because she pretty much did a HT I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my second HIC to a HT and then I did the second HT and next thing I knew I had passed both! Good way to compete as I didn't get much chance to get nervous! :happydance2:

Am off herding on the weekend again, yeah! Clinic this time.

I checked to see if you posted last night and thought nah you probably got home and fell into bed. I was tired anough but you guys had a much longer day. And we thank you so much or your help and being prepared to ang around afterwards for the impromptu but very beneficial training session.

Both your guys did very well and are goin to be such very different dogs to work. I am sore you are going to learn so much between them.

We got home at 7.30pm & the best I could do was feed the dogs, have a shower & pass out, now all I can think about is the next trial day :thumbsup: & I'm going for a training session Friday. After standing in the freezing rain all Friday afternoon, getting up at 4am & home again at 7.30pm Saturday, up at 7am to wash the trailer out & take it back Sunday & I still want to do it again, should I be seeing a shrink or some thing :p :) . Glad to help because it all benefits me, see I'm not an :eek: I'm very selfish really :) .

Edited by Dova

Congratulations to all.

I watched this video,

and need to ask a question. What is the purpose of the long piece of doweling?

When starting a dog I use either a rake (plastic) or a boogie bag (poly bag tied to the end of a lunging whip) then the dog graduates to a length of poly pipe. All are chosen because if the dog is accidently hit with them, god forbid, there is little chance of physical injury to the dog. The items are first conditioned safely and are only an extension of my hand.

I understand that there is a rule in ANKC herding that only doweling can be used but surely this should not be the case with inexperienced dogs.

Why does this rule exist???

Isn’t a length of poly pipe safer?????

I just looked in the rules and you can use other material not just doweling. You just can't use poly pipe. No idea why. If I had to have a guess I would say it is because poly pipe makes a noise. I was told that you could have council tags on the dog because of the jingling noise. If no one else has the real answer I can ask on the weekend.

I just looked in the rules and you can use other material not just doweling. You just can't use poly pipe. No idea why. If I had to have a guess I would say it is because poly pipe makes a noise. I was told that you could have council tags on the dog because of the jingling noise. If no one else has the real answer I can ask on the weekend.

Thanks JulesP.

What's on this wekend?

Poly pipe makes noise???????? Only when it bounces :rofl:

The dowling being used at this speed must have sounded pretty scarey. It made me cringe.

Always question & if you ever feel uncomftorble with any method being used by someone on your dog don't be backward in coming forward. If it feels wrong it probably is. (Not that I'm saying the video showed bad methods...just questioning).