How Can I Teach.....

Heidii

He adores peanut butter but he didn't even seem to notice the dab on his face. Photographic proof below.

shy.jpg

I just stumbled upon this thread entirely accidently and started reading through it. Elbie sounds just like Delta, this was my attempt at using packing tape a few years ago. She paid no attention to it whatsoever.

dsc0186age7.jpg

dsc0194aeq2.jpg

I recently tried again because Id like to use it in our DWD routine so out came the sticky tape. Somehow she misinterpreted my clicks and started offering me a bow (another trick I never succeeded in teaching her) so the session turned into a "learn to bow" one LOL. One of these days we will get around to actually learning how to be shy :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC you could try moving the tape down a bit so that it was a bit more annoying. With one of my dogs I have found that putting a sock over her muzzle works to get this trick started.... in the beginning I was only doing it to annoy her :o then turned it into training :laugh:

:laugh: This is such a hard trick. It took us ages to get Hoover to do it but now both dogs do it happily.

I'll try to convince Clastic to post photos of her Mars here because she has a classic one with Mars and a face full of sticky-notes :rofl:

I initially attempted to use pegs, but Mars would shake his head and they would fling off. I then attempted post it notes, I put one on.. no luck, then another and another and another.. the end result is below. I'm sure I could have put more on, but then I would be a horrible Mum!

5917975532_af68a92b30.jpg

We're getting there though, I went back to using a peg and he will now paw his face on command, but just need to work on holding the paw there for longer. :)

I adore that photo of Mars. Can't wait to see the finished product :D And when Pepper can do it, you'll have two dogs being shy :laugh:

I think Max#1 has a great video of Max doing shy while on his side. I can't for the life of me remember the youtube channel though

• 4 weeks later...

I initially attempted to use pegs, but Mars would shake his head and they would fling off. I then attempted post it notes, I put one on.. no luck, then another and another and another.. the end result is below. I'm sure I could have put more on, but then I would be a horrible Mum!

5917975532_af68a92b30.jpg

We're getting there though, I went back to using a peg and he will now paw his face on command, but just need to work on holding the paw there for longer. :)

Too funny!

As for holding the paw there for longer, does he have a wait command? I taught Jarrah to wait, first just in general situations & then found I could apply it to tricks etc. In my last DWD routine the song I used was "I Will Survive" & at the beginning where the first line says "First I was afraid, I was petrified" both Jarrah & I put our hand/paw over our face & pretended to be scared :D .

• 4 weeks later...