Treat Time

keds

Hi just a quick few questions.

What is the best food to be giving a 7 week old puppy.

At what age can pups have bones and what is the best treat to give them while training.

Thanks a lot guys i no there very basic questions but im just trying to re-enforce what i think

Pups can have bones as soon as they have teeth :rofl:

She can have chicken wings now :rofl: Whole and raw.

The best food? Depends on your dog.. your pocket, and whether you want to feed a premium processed food... or a raw diet, or just an ordinary processed food.

Introduce new food gradually, so her system has a chance to get used to it :D

Dogs ,as a rule do not need grains or milky things.

Their bodies aren't made to easily digest such things... they can, and do.. millions of dogs, every day.. but there are more suitable foods !

My choice would be a fresh raw diet.

Treats?

You don't 'have' to use food for training... but piecxes of her normal food..or tiny pieces of cooked chicken.. or liver treats, or cheese, maybe?? TINY pieces only..or else when mealtimes are there.. she won't be hungry!!

Edited by persephone

hi keds....

do you already have the pup? i would suggest feeding the same food he/she is used to, and slowly introduce a new food. Don't change suddenly, cause that can upset little pup's stomach.

as for treats.... i would suggest www.happypawstreats.com.au - i'm going to get some for my pup when we get her.

do a search on treats on the forum, one of the members owns the above website, and is RAVED about for how good her products are....

hope that helps....

depends what the breeder was feeding. If the puppy is already on a good dry food like Advance, Royal Canin, Eagle Pack etc then dont change it. The cheaper brands I would be trying to wean off unless the poos look good. Raw meaty bones are good for all breeds

Giant breeds need a good dry food as majority of the diet whilst growing with some raw meaty bones thrown in.

canned food - I find it a waste of money. If you want variety add some yoghurt, cheese, egg or offal to the food in TINY TINY quantities as not to upset the tummy. And by tiny I mean really tiny! puppies have teeny stomachs (despite the amount they try and cram in) so a little can go a long way

Treats -- well anything not jam packed full of colours, flavours and sugar. I like the dehydrated liver treats because you only need teeny tiny amounts at a time and a little goes a long way flavour wise.