Home Remedy's ?

rish

Does anybody have any home remedy for exma (sp) ?

At the moment im giving them ZYRTEC and OMEGA Oil's 3/6 + 9

And they need to be bathed in "Anti itch" 3 time's daily.

Now im happy to do all of this,but im not really keen on keeping them on medication,and they tend to itch anyway ! :)

I would cut Mins coat,but its starting to get cold,and Kreepy has 1/2 the top of her body with hair and the lower 1/2 she has fuzz (she looks so weird !)

So anything idea's i could try ?

Cutting a dog's coat off won't help a skin problem and if it's a contact allergy, it may make it worse.

Have a good look in your yard for plants like wandering jew that trigger skin reactions in dogs.

Also take a good look at their diet. Removing grains from it may help with skin allergies.

Bathing a dog three times a day is also probably exacerbating the problem by making the skin excessively dry.

See a vet. If your dog is losing a lot of coat, I'd want it checked for mange.

Edited by poodlefan

If you dog has broken infected skin from scratching then it is more then likely that it needs to see a vet to treat the infection.

I would not be bathing an itchie dog 3 times a day as you will just be further drying out the skin and removing any of the oils that can help with itchiness.

Also take a good look at your dogs diet.

PS. Trish perhaps you should be posting topics like this in the health section as it is not really puppy related.

Plants

We have noticed that Min really goes at it with a roll in the grass,but we cant remove that!

I just gave her 5ml of medication,and she is over it,it's also ment to last 24hrs (in a child) yet it seems to be a 12 hrs cover in the dog's

See a vet.

We seen her,we got the 1st lot of med's then,but she doesn't want them to take Quaterzone for to long as it shortens the life span.............so recommended the kid's med's she also told us that it was eczem.

I agree with bathing (drying out/taking oils from the skin),so i have just been rubbing it (anti-scratch) onto there skin and under the arm;s *front leg's*

The oils (omega5/6/9 ) don't seem to be helping at all.

when people try to help you why do you act like you know so much better.

If you do have a plant that is causing the problems make sure you teach your dogs not to roll in it, not just say "oh we cant get rid of that"

Are you slow or what?

I can suggest cutting all grains, preservatives, food colouring and the like from their diet and feeding them an all raw diet. Often allergies are exacerbated by what you feed your dog. Many find that the overall health and condition of their dogs improve by doing this.

If they were my dogs, I'd be seriously looking to establish what they are reacting to. Without doing this, the rest of it is pretty hit and miss.

bathing 3 times daily? Holy moly no wonder they cant stop scratching!

Look at diet - take out grains (especially wheat) can food, dog rolls etc and go to a basic dry food which has a single protein source in it

also stop giving random snacks and table scraps. Cut back the diet to the bare bones and see what happens after a couple of weeks

The oils are there because the vet must think they are lacking in their diet. An overall change will be better then supplements. I use fish oil capsules but my dogs swallow them easily :)

is their skin dry and flakey as well or are they just scratching? You can buy little canine pyjamas and tshirts to limit exposure to the grass outside or just dont let them on it for a while and see if it makes a difference as well.

As for cortisone, there is a cortavance spray which is only for the skin instead of taking a systemic tablet. It wont hurt the dog at all.

What dry food are you giving your dogs some of them have got lots of fillers like grains and some dogs carnt deal with to many grains they get dry coat itchy skin sometimes runny poop on it.Mine dont go well on Iams or Supercoat.

The vet recommended "supercoat" by purina,at $50 FOR 18 kG'S i find it great,we do add dog food "chum" on occasion.

The vet also said that the "supercoat puppy " was OK for all 3 of my dogs .(and i TRUST my vet !!!

This is what they are feed.

when people try to help you why do you act like you know so much better.

If you do have a plant that is causing the problems make sure you teach your dogs not to roll in it, not just say "oh we cant get rid of that"

Are you slow or what?

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :D

Well come on now she can't be slow if she thinks Chum is a good food to feed.

rish...

on this forum, there seem to quite a number of dogs who cannot tolerate GRAINS, and/or BEEF.

Supercoat puppy has these two as the first ingredients.

Your vet may well be right, in that the protein levels, fat levels etc are a good blend for your dogs... but they may not have thought of your dogs being allergic to some ingredients!!

What plants do you have in your yard, or where the dogs are walked???

Here...

have a little read..

HERE

HERE

Edited by persephone

The vet recommended "supercoat" by purina,at $50 FOR 18 kG'S i find it great,we do add dog food "chum" on occasion.

The vet also said that the "supercoat puppy " was OK for all 3 of my dogs .(and i TRUST my vet !!!

Oh right.I dunno how you can think its that great when your dogs have exzema and Im surprised your vet hasnt said it might be the food.I wouldnt of thought that diet was real good for dogs with skin problems.Maybe you put to much trust in your vet.

And don't forget the tinned MY Dog, ... I think

Supercoat isn't a good food IMO, it's full of fillers and could be contributing to your dogs' eczema, Chum isn't any better. If these dogs are related (sorry, but I have a lot of trouble understanding your posts) there's a possibility that they have an inherited predisposition to skin problems in which case diet is very important.

Maybe try some pawpaw ointment?

Its people stuff but check the ingredients incase there is something bad...

Neem oil (spelling) is also good for em.. My parents had a dog years ago that would find a low branch and scratch his back with it.. eventually he had major hairloss and sores.

Neem oil with a little bit of tea tree oil rub on his back worked a treat...

If two dogs are suffering thought it sounds as though something isnt right...

are they affected in the same area of their bodies?

Do those two hang out in one spot more then the other dog?

you really should get down on your hands and knees and have a sniff round ur back yard and areas you keep them.

This will help you see what is at dog level and what might be causing the issues...

If you wash their bedding maybe it is a reaction to the soap.

Goodluck